Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Break-Free CLP

Feedback Score

Break-Free CLP

I've been using Break Free since it was introduced in the 1980's, and always had good results. Haven't bought any in a while, but I see that they've changed the labeling for the first time that I can remember:

https://www.safariland.com/products/...7.html#start=1

Occasionally I hear someone say that the old formulation was superior to the current one. Can't say that I've noticed, but has anyone else found this to be true?

Feedback Score
    Depends on when the "new" formula came about. I used to use Break Free about 10-12 years ago, when I first got into shooting. I was never a huge fan of it; no matter what I used it on, it always made the action have a gritty feel, like it wasn't even lubed.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    I transitioned all my guns to the SLIP family of cleaners and lubs. They clean better, I think they lubricate better. The wife doesn't complain about their smell and they don't stain stuff. I hate cleaning guns. The slip and the waterbased cleaners clean soooo much better. $0.02
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I transitioned all my guns to the SLIP family of cleaners and lubs. They clean better, I think they lubricate better. The wife doesn't complain about their smell and they don't stain stuff. I hate cleaning guns. The slip and the waterbased cleaners clean soooo much better. $0.02
    Yeah, I'm a fan of the Slip2000 stuff, especially the ELW (don't use the ELW for cleaning, just lubing afterwards).

That said, I cut my teeth on Break Free when I was in the Army beaucoup years ago. I still use it for the cleaning portion, dry it off, and use EWL for the lubing part.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    I have opted out.

I open my cabinet and the first of the dozens of gun specific or vehicle appropriate products sitting there that will work I use.
    Literally dozens of things I have tried in the past decades to see what works best.

They all work good enough.

When I’m out of CLP, I use the Breakfree, then the gun lube, then synthetic high end motor oil, then.......
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Depends on when the "new" formula came about. I used to use Break Free about 10-12 years ago, when I first got into shooting. I was never a huge fan of it; no matter what I used it on, it always made the action have a gritty feel, like it wasn't even lubed.
    Awesome to know I'm not the only one that thinks it gives everything a gritty feel. Almost like a bit of sand you missed somewhere in the action. I swapped to Slip a few years back and haven't felt the need to even try anything else.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did CLP through the 80s and moved on way back then. Slip 2000 for lubes. Other products for cleaning. Frankly, Mobil 1 is a better gun lube than CLP. Better cleaners out there too. CLP won't even touch a nice hard carbon ring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I use whatever,. Including CLP. They all feel the same to me

Feedback Score
    Since there's Breakfree CLP (and LP) I'm not sure what the point of this is:

https://www.safariland.com/products/...2.html#start=1

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Since there's Breakfree CLP (and LP) I'm not sure what the point of this is:

https://www.safariland.com/products/...2.html#start=1
    If you mix them all together you get synthetic-blend CLLLPP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast