Page 11 of 353 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yes. The internet, including M4C, is a little prone to overreaction.

Obviously, this is more than an ordinary cold virus, but just as obviously, the sky is not falling. The only precautions I’m going to take is to avoid travel to China anytime soon and I’m going to wash my hands real well between patients because I don’t want to catch influenza, which is infinitely a greater threat to my day-to-day routine, health, and well-being than nCov.

That's what I was thinking. Went and bought sanitizer for my car that way I can wash my hand when out and about. Try to avoid massive public gatherings at peak hours. Instead of shopping today I can do it tomorrow afternoon.... things like that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yes, good plan. It will help you avoid getting influenza, which is vastly more likely than even being in the same state as someone with this coronavirus.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    Yes, good plan. It will help you avoid getting influenza, which is vastly more likely than even being in the same state as someone with this coronavirus.
    My wife who is a RN and works with the CDC for theses things put this to me last night:

'25-50k AMERICANS die a year from various strains of the FLU. America, where we have the best health knowledge, systems and delivery of both on the G-D planet.

Let me know when this thing takes down 1 million Chinese and I will get worried'

She wrote a thesis on the Spanish Flu

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post
    My wife who is a RN and works with the CDC for theses things put this to me last night:

'25-50k AMERICANS die a year from various strains of the FLU. America, where we have the best health knowledge, systems and delivery of both on the G-D planet.

Let me know when this thing takes down 1 million Chinese and I will get worried'

The worst viral epidemic in Asia recently was SARS. There were about 8000 cases worldwide and about 800 deaths. The same hysteria (minus the impact of the internet) was rampant in the US. In the US, there were 8 cases of SARS. That year IIRC, 18,000 people died in the US from influenza.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I was being sarcastic, absolutely.

You don’t risk billions of dollars in economic losses for “just a cold, guys.”

I was mocking Dr. Tummytuck, the Epidemiologist.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    I don't read tone well on the interwebs, can't tell if this is sarcastic or not...

Truly, it is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I don't know that anyone at least in the US is panicking, but if the hospitals and government doesn't do its due diligence with appropriate steps in education, and something really bad happens, all the blame will be late at their feet. As it is now, everyone points to them thinking they are fear-mongering. It's hard to take a middle road.

I am a thousand times more concerned about the flu. In spite of the flu shot, people are getting the flu, and a lot of people are dying from it.

But like every other bug, this deserves its space and due diligence. But not fear-mongering or overplaying.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armtx77 View Post

I'm NOT disrespecting your wife or her knowledge on the subject. Aren't most of the Flu deaths occuring in the elderly and immune compromised people?

The Spanish Flu killed young healthy people.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

In 1918....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm NOT disrespecting your wife or her knowledge on the subject. Aren't most of the Flu deaths occuring in the elderly and immune compromised people?

There is no agreement on how many it actually killed or why. Reports range from inflammatory response to malnourishment, overcrowded medical camps and poor hygiene (study from 2007). It killed 3% - 6% of the entire population.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    There is no agreement on how many it actually killed or why. Reports range from inflammatory response to malnourishment, overcrowded medical camps and poor hygiene (study from 2007). It killed 3% - 6% of the entire population.
    In an era where there was no such thing as intravenous infusion, let alone antibiotics to address secondary bacterial infections.

Feedback Score

Most of the flu deaths are the young and old, correct.

I will address a couple of Spanish Fever comments. It lasted about 8 months amd so far with Cov, it is killing the old...like most flus do.

Page 11 of 353 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast