Page 201 of 353 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,010 of 3523

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    What I was going off of (and forgive me, going off memory from way back) was cold war era nuclear war emergency resources. From what I can recall, their system had a much higher percentage of their population sheltered in the event of getting nuked than the US did. I can't recall the percentages, but the Swiss had plans to hit 100% by a certain year, although I doubt that happened due to the USSR break up in much the same way US prep scaled back.

So what I had in mind was more in terms of emergency resources than normal day to day medical care, and this seems to be the former versus the latter.
    Ah, sorry I misread/misunderstood your point. Can't answer that one.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Fun fact about PPE: A person that goes around with a mask pushed below their nose is a mouth-breather.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    I have issues with the health care industry not being prepared. Now, I can understand not having enough ventilators and whatnot (those things are probably expensive) but basic supplies should be any part of a hospital's mass casualty kit they damn well should have as a just in case measure.

I fully understand and expect government bureaucrats not being prepared. The private sector certainly can draw my ire.
    The ventilator we carry on my company's helicopters run $24k MSRP. I'm sure that's not what they paid. As nice as it would be for hospitals to have a stash of them put away I can see how administrators would be hesitant to spend half a million on 20 spare vents to sit in a closet "just in case."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    The N95 mask shortage is trending this morning on social media. I've read some doozies on the interwebz:

"Those masks should be restricted to medical people only! No normal person should be able to buy one!"

"We have a shortage of masks! Trump needs to resign now!"

It always amazes me that the liberal mind automatically draws to "Impeach Trump/Resign Trump!" and restricting or banning an object.
    Laugh at the Liberals, but there were people a week ago here saying the very same self righteous BS.
    "Only Professionals need these masks"
    sounding very much like Nancy Pelosi if you substitute guns, high capacity magazines, semi automatic guns or AR 15's. for masks.
    Freedom isn't always popular or pretty, but it's damned necessary.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    By the mid 80 the Swiss had shelters for 85% of their population but you can bet that with the end of the Cold War they decided it would be better to give that CD money away to buy votes.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm skeptical. It's open label non randomized:

"A recent study done by Didier Raoult MD, PhD found that after 6 days 100% of patients treated with hydroxychloriquine (HCQ) + Azithromycin were virologically cured.

600 mg HCQ per day after 6 days, 90% of patients tested COVID-19 negative. 96% of control group tested positive after 6 days."

Study:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/186B...eid=38a13156a9

These were the thought from doc buddy:

"Thank you for forwarding the prelim draft.

Somewhat encouraging “success”, but very “messy” data with weak methodology (open label).

The infectious disease community is very divided on the this trial, but given the grim outlook for a subset of patients with this novel coronavirus, cautious optimism is reasonable.

The addition of azithromycin is interesting, since this concentrates in pulmonary tissue, and macrolides have anti-inflammatory effects as well as anti-viral.

However, there may be a significant risk for arrythmias due to QT prolongation, so safety is an issue for the combination. Serial ECG would need to be conducted with the combination treatment.

Administration of hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin is generally avoided since this may increase the QT interval - ventricular arrhythmias and torsade de pointes have been reported with the use of hydroxychloroquine plus azithromycin.

One of several problems with the quality of the trial data is that a subset of patients advanced, and several needed to be transferred to the ICU during treatment, which implies early intervention especially in patients with lower respiratory involvement may be critical. But, these patients did not appear to be included in the analysis.

Another issue is that many of the patients were mild in symptomology, so perhaps they would have improved without treatment.

The sad truth is that it remains unclear if early intervention in mild patients will significantly reduce evolution to ARDS, but this is my hope (and everyone in the medical community.

Hydroxychloroquine is a relatively safe monotherapy, and in my opinion offers potential benefit with minor risk for early intervention in high risk patients with mild to moderate symptoms.
    "
    Last edited by WillBrink; 03-19-20 at 14:50.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Laugh at the Liberals, but there were people a week ago here saying the very same self righteous BS.
    sounding very much like Nancy Pelosi if you substitute guns, high capacity magazines, semi automatic guns or AR 15's. for masks.
    Trump and the FDA have approved using the industrial N95 masks for medical use which means all of a sudden there are a lot more available.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I'm skeptical. It's open label non randomized:

"A recent study done by Didier Raoult MD, PhD found that after 6 days 100% of patients treated with hydroxychloriquine (HCQ) + Azithromycin were virologically cured.

600 mg HCQ per day after 6 days, 90% of patients tested COVID-19 negative. 96% of control group tested positive after 6 days."

Study:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/186B...eid=38a13156a9
    I presume the antibiotic given for the high-rates of bacterial pneumonia secondary to the viral infection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Nobody was saying “only professionals need masks”. We were saying not to horde them because they would be inaccessible to those CHOOSING to put themselves at risk to treat your loved ones.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jermedic View Post
    The ventilator we carry on my company's helicopters run $24k MSRP. I'm sure that's not what they paid. As nice as it would be for hospitals to have a stash of them put away I can see how administrators would be hesitant to spend half a million on 20 spare vents to sit in a closet "just in case."
    Bingo. Hospitals currently work on such small margins thanks to government, insurance, and trying to keep costs down. Hospitals can’t prepare for emergency and disaster response at their own peril.

Page 201 of 353 FirstFirst ... 101151191199200201202203211251301 ... LastLast