Page 5 of 353 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Maybe 4% fatality rate, all for older people with serious co-morbidities. To date this coronavirus seems a bit more impactful than a rough flu year.

China is reaping the whirlwind for the repeated lies and inability to build trust. This is not SARS, but it is an opportunity to exercise and learn for the real threat in the future. It will not be surprising if this coronavirus has circulated for decades, but simply has not been a priority to investigate.

My concern is that the US CDC does not repeat their clown show from the 2013 Ebola outbreak in China. The CDC thought that was a false alarm until the DNA test came back, as the unfortunate carrier was bleeding out, permanently. The lack of energy and purpose came close to killing hospital staff and people in the general community. Indicative of hubris, which may also be a root cause in the 2019 Coronavirus.

Healthy young male a 1,500 miles away from Wuhan.
    https://www.lmtonline.com/news/artic...f-15000796.php
    Whiskey

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Until you culture, it's just like any other aerosolized, airborne virus. The key is getting ahead of the OODA loop, if you will. Push surveillance out (my institution has partnerships with universities in Asia), contain it, and isolate where you can. Once you see people coming through the ED doors or direct-admit, you are behind the curve. The ID folks are literally getting updates hourly and sharing them across the country and building into triage criteria key metrics (the signs/symptoms, where you have been, how you traveled, etc.). That info triggers communications to CDC/HHS and other hospitals. As for identification, you'd get swabbed like the flu, but it has to go to a lab to be identified. There is no real-time diagnosis like the flu swab.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    New case identified/confirmed in Chicago.
    https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/01...ed-in-chicago/

Feedback Score
    Does it ever seem that the Peoples Republic of China - out biggest geopolitical adversary, is one giant house of cards. Their building codes are crap, their technology is stolen, and their exports are mostly garbage of inferior construction. Now it seems they may have let out a virus of pandemic proportions which could kill millions.

Reminds me of a guy named Esteban, who dressed like Zorro, and sold a guitar and lessons on TV infomercials and QVC. It turns out his guitar was total crap, made in China, with the wood a composite of sawdust, recycled phone books and medical waste. The lacquer on the neck would rub off and the frets would cut your fingers. The Chinese cannot be trusted with anything that involves the welfare of the general public.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Including the two confirmed US cases they are currently monitoring 63 “patients under investigation” in the U.S.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/24/cdc-...diagnosed.html
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    It is rather interesting when you point out that Wuhan is home to China's recently opened BSL-4 lab. I've only worked on BSL-2+ labs. The BSL-4 stuff is scary.
    Last edited by mrbieler; 01-24-20 at 17:11.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Does it ever seem that the Peoples Republic of China - out biggest geopolitical adversary, is one giant house of cards. Their building codes are crap, their technology is stolen, and their exports are mostly garbage of inferior construction.
    I am friends with a Chinese citizen, she says the stuff they export is much higher quality than what they sell in the country. How scary is that?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    “The deadly animal virus epidemic spreading globally may have originated in a Wuhan laboratory linked to China’s covert biological weapons program, according to an Israeli biological warfare expert.”

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...linked-chines/
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 01-24-20 at 18:11.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm certainly glad we've got our border locked down tight. Otherwise those who are showing symptoms or have been directly exposed might do the bums rush to get in here illegally.
    This certainly sounds as if the spread is happening a bit quicker than expected.
    I believe H1N1 spread across the world in 4-6 months, seems this is moving a bit faster.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I'm certainly glad we've got our border locked down tight. Otherwise those who are showing symptoms or have been directly exposed might do the bums rush to get in here illegally.
    This certainly sounds as if the spread is happening a bit quicker than expected.
    I believe H1N1 spread across the world in 4-6 months, seems this is moving a bit faster.
    Too late, its already here. Doesnt matter how tight your border is if its airborne. One dude sneezes in an airport and its all over.

Page 5 of 353 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast