Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best AR in the history of the world needs a friend

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)

The best AR in the history of the world needs a friend

I built this about 2 years ago and have 2500~ rounds through it. It is lightweight, 100% reliable, extremely accurate, and very durable. It has gone in my Eberlestock pack many times. Been in the rain and never developed any rust. Bounced around in side by sides and has never lost zero. It’s boringly simple to use and a great companion for the woods and training classes.

I’ve listed below the specs and why I chose each part. I’m now looking for a 16” cousin of this rifle. I’d like it to have similar themes (lightweight, simple, accurate) but would like more barrel length and maybe a magnified optic (NX8? Vortex 1-10?) using new and “more better” products. I didn’t want to make 15 different threads in the optics, suppressor, NV, etc forums so I’m consolidating it here.

Should I just make the same rifle again except use a 16” barrel and longer rail? Open to all advice.

Centurion Arms 10.3” CHF Barrel - I wanted as short as possible while still maintaining reliability in a quality barrel that was gassed appropriately. Centurion checked all those boxes.

AAC Mini 4 w/ AAC FH - I know there are better cans out these days but I liked it and it works. I have no “tooth wobble”

Gemtech Suppressed BC with BCM Bolt - The juice isn’t worth the squeeze with the Gemtech Supp Carrier but it does help a bit with felt recoil and gas. If I didn’t already have it, this gun would’ve ran a milspec phosphate carrier.

BCM Mk2 Upper - Generally not a fan of new things, but BCM has been pretty good testing their stuff out before releasing ir. I don’t see the benefit this upper has over a traditional upper (all else being equal) but I like it.

BCM Complete Lower - Reliable. Quality parts. Springs that won’t rust. Decent trigger. Good ergonomics.

BAD Safety Lever & Seekins Bolt Release - I chose these two over the factory pieces because they are less prone to rust due to being aluminum. The bigger paddle makes for more reliable reloads also.

Aimpoint Comp M5 in a Scalarworks mount - By far and away the best red dot combo on the market. Lightweight. Durable. Great battery life. Crystal clear dot. See through lens covers. I would have compromised on any other feature of this rifle before I changed the optic. It’s perfect.

FP DBAL i2 with LEAF sight - I experimented a lot with lasers. MAWL. ATPIAL-C. FP ATPIAL. The Civ MAWL is ok. The illuminator is great but I kept losing the dot in thick brush. The ATPIAL C and other traditional lasers have a joke of an illuminator. The FP ATPIAL is great and got me through OIF but for some reason they command a huge premium over the DBALs even though the DBALs have cleaner illumination in my experience. So I got the DBAL.

Magpul MBUS Pro rear sight - I’ve been a fan of Troys since I got my first AR. But I’ve had problems with rust on the screw head and they decided to hire Dale Monroe. Magpul moved to Wyoming because they have values. That matters to me. The rear sight is great too and doesn’t rust.

Aimpoint Twist Base - For TNVC PVS14 mount

Surefire M300 & Arisaka MLOK Mount - Great light. Lightweight. Simply designed mount.

BCM 9” MLOK Rail & Rail Covers & VFG - Lightweight. Strong. Simple. Great ergonomics. Rail covers do an “ok” job at dissipating heat for their weight and footprint.

Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yeah, maybe just go with a 16” clone of that with a LPVO. The Vortex Razor is good, as is the PA PLx. I like the 2nd Gen Razor more than the 3rd. If you don’t mind low power, the old model Steiner 1-4 is GTG. ACOGs are still viable. I’m not enough of a scope snob to have further recommendations.

There’s a lot of good barrels out there these days. Centurion is highly regarded. Criterion is good, etc.

Maybe an aftermarket trigger like a Larue, but if you’ve mastered a “Milspec” one, no worries. In that case, you just need an upper, not a gun.

YHM or Rex Silentium can. Bootleg BC if not using the can full-time, BRT gas tube if its full-time.

The Mk2 receiver isn’t worth the squeeze, IMO. I like mine. I think standard ones are good, too.

Also consider a KAC URX4 handguard. Lightweight, solid, not overly skinny. Magpul Type 2 rail covers. A handful of those come with the rail, along with MBUS.

Questions:
    Do you intend to shoot outdoors with white light ever, or IR only?
    What sort of barrel profile are you considering?
    Will this be a carrying around gun, or a bipod gun that sometimes goes in the Vehicle, Wheeled, Lightweight, Homesteading?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    You have video proof that you can outshoot me any day of the week, so maybe you want something stiffer like a Criterion CORE, but I’m a fan of pencil barrels. This would keep the weight down with a quality barrel. Then pair it with a head spaced BCM bolt.

https://criterionbarrels.com/product...-ar-15-barrel/

Besides that, I’m interested in reading others’ suggestions, as well as noting what you already like.

Feedback Score
    Nice set up!

Similarly I have a 11.5 SOLGW with a Vortex Spar Solar and a Vortex Mini 3X magnifier thats very nimble, light, and accurate.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    All of Geissele’s 16” Super Duty rifles are still in stock, any opposition to just getting one of those? It probably won’t be light but I don’t know that it’ll be heavy either.

I like my Gen III razor but I’ve settled on always having an offset RDS paired with an LPVO at the moment FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I’d hit the easy button and get a 16” KAC SR15 upper and put a Razor Gen2 1-6 on it.

Feedback Score
    I would just build a clone of the original and have both :-)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drsal View Post
    I would just build a clone of the original and have both :-)
    This....makes things easy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    All of Geissele’s 16” Super Duty rifles are still in stock, any opposition to just getting one of those? It probably won’t be light but I don’t know that it’ll be heavy either.

I like my Gen III razor but I’ve settled on always having an offset RDS paired with an LPVO at the moment FWIW.

I have enjoyed enormous success with my G rifle and they are on 20% off Memorial Day sale. I think I paid just under $1,600 for mine, which is a great price IMHO.

I concur the NF1-8 is sweet or the Vortex would be fine. Ive not run the vortex. Too many good cans to mention.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Easy button options depending on budget and availability:

1.) KAC SR-15 E3 Mod 2 16” bbl.

2.) Geissele Super Duty 16” bbl.

Those two come to mind for running barrel profiles that are sensible and keep weight to a minimum while still offering good performance. My SR-15 has made first round hits without issue out to 552 yards (haven’t had the opportunity to push out beyond that).

I am sure there are other options out there.

Building a 16” clone of Euro’s current blaster would also undoubtedly work.

The optic I would choose hands down would be the Nightforce NX-8 1-8X24, first because I am a NF fan boy after having an old NXS 3.5-15X50 survive a 15’ fall out of a tree stand and still hold zero (rifle hit so hard it cracked the synthetic stock in half), and because it’s very light for what it offers. I personally don’t think the weight gain to go to a 1-10 is worthwhile considering the practical capabilities of the 5.56 NATO, an extra 2X magnification comes at a cost of about 1/2 a pound of extra weight to lug around. I’ll pass on that for a carbine.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast