Page 4 of 353 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: (COVID/ETC CONTENT HERE) China Locks Down 11 Million in Wuhan,

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If Doctors in China aren't going to work and if that Twitter feed of people dropping over in the street in China is correct, well, they're screwed.
    Lying on the floor of a hospital while suffering from some sort of viral pneumonia doesn't sound like a good time to me.
    I think I will keep an eye on this, wash my hands often and avoid crowded area's, wtf, I'm a hermit anyway.
    I'm guessing that this is going off the rails soon.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Also interesting and somewhat related, though it's a Weather Channel article..

(Warning: Global Warming seems to be the main point of the article, so take it for what it's worth).

"Scientists sampling ice cores from a glacier in China discovered 28 viruses that had been frozen in time for as long as 15,000 years, and were not previously known to mankind."

https://weather.com/news/news/2020-0...elting-glacier

Article popped up while searching the Coronavirus.

Edit:

Fox News now has an article on it.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/viru...climate-change
    Coincidentally V-Wars on Netflix starts out with this exact premise.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7403736/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    China built a lab to study SARS and Ebola in Wuhan - and US scientists warned in 2017 that a virus could 'escape' the facility located in the same city that's at the coronavirus outbreak's center:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...ks-center.html

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIvadJNbO4U

I think this is a different game, but it seems fitting anyway.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dicey times ain't it?

Feedback Score
    Maybe 4% fatality rate, all for older people with serious co-morbidities. To date this coronavirus seems a bit more impactful than a rough flu year.

China is reaping the whirlwind for the repeated lies and inability to build trust. This is not SARS, but it is an opportunity to exercise and learn for the real threat in the future. It will not be surprising if this coronavirus has circulated for decades, but simply has not been a priority to investigate.

My concern is that the US CDC does not repeat their clown show from the 2013 Ebola outbreak in China. The CDC thought that was a false alarm until the DNA test came back, as the unfortunate carrier was bleeding out, permanently. The lack of energy and purpose came close to killing hospital staff and people in the general community. Indicative of hubris, which may also be a root cause in the 2019 Coronavirus.

Feedback Score
    Maybe another Mao
    Lower the population a bit
    Last edited by Honu; 01-24-20 at 01:38.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    Maybe 4% fatality rate, all for older people with serious co-morbidities. To date this coronavirus seems a bit more impactful than a rough flu year.

China is reaping the whirlwind for the repeated lies and inability to build trust. This is not SARS, but it is an opportunity to exercise and learn for the real threat in the future. It will not be surprising if this coronavirus has circulated for decades, but simply has not been a priority to investigate.

My concern is that the US CDC does not repeat their clown show from the 2013 Ebola outbreak in China. The CDC thought that was a false alarm until the DNA test came back, as the unfortunate carrier was bleeding out, permanently. The lack of energy and purpose came close to killing hospital staff and people in the general community. Indicative of hubris, which may also be a root cause in the 2019 Coronavirus.
    The CDC/HHS runs the show, but other actors do things independently. Where I work is "tip of the spear" with regards to surveillance of illnesses born in Asia (for a variety of reasons). We have gotten no fewer than four emails in three days from leadership about this; our hospital ID folks are looped into other hospitals' ID folks in a network to share information.

So far it appears to be a novel, multi-protein virus, which is no bueno.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    How is 2019-nCoV identified by HCPs?

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    The CDC/HHS runs the show, but other actors do things independently. Where I work is "tip of the spear" with regards to surveillance of illnesses born in Asia (for a variety of reasons). We have gotten no fewer than four emails in three days from leadership about this; our hospital ID folks are looped into other hospitals' ID folks in a network to share information.

So far it appears to be a novel, multi-protein virus, which is no bueno.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    How is 2019-nCoV identified by HCPs?
    Until you culture, it's just like any other aerosolized, airborne virus. The key is getting ahead of the OODA loop, if you will. Push surveillance out (my institution has partnerships with universities in Asia), contain it, and isolate where you can. Once you see people coming through the ED doors or direct-admit, you are behind the curve. The ID folks are literally getting updates hourly and sharing them across the country and building into triage criteria key metrics (the signs/symptoms, where you have been, how you traveled, etc.). That info triggers communications to CDC/HHS and other hospitals. As for identification, you'd get swabbed like the flu, but it has to go to a lab to be identified. There is no real-time diagnosis like the flu swab.

Page 4 of 353 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast