Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *Resolved* Wilson Combat Extractor Fitment/Tuning Issues

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

*Resolved* Wilson Combat Extractor Fitment/Tuning Issues

*Resolved*

Hello, I have ittle experience with 1911's but recently got back into them with a SA RO Elite Operator in 9mm. I have not shot it yet, but the stock extractor seemd to fit very well and apply appropriate tension. Even so, I bought a Wilson Combat BulletProof extractor (9mm/38 super size, of course) for a little added peace of mind and to use the stock extractor as a spare.

Well, no matter how much bend I applied, I couldn't get it to put really any tension on a case. It's quite a pain to remove and install the extractor at this point, and I'm no closer to achieving tension. The firing pin stop fits the extractor channel well. But, It's almost as if the extractor is too long? The claw sticks beyond the case rim, and the rear sticks out beyond the slide.

I don't currently have pictures of the stock extractor, but will take pictures tonight. Thoughts on the gap pictured and the overhanging material in the rear?

Last edited by Hox013; 01-24-20 at 00:49. Reason: Resolved

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    It ain't about bending, but fitting.
    There are few, if any, "drop in parts" in a 1911.

Look at this diagram. The shaded area determines depth of claw in relation to case. (I have always called it the "doughnut".)
    Remove material here.
    Think about how the 1911 functions; the extractor doesn't SNAP over the case- the slide pops the cartridge out of magazine as it goes into battery, sliding the case rim under, and into, the extractor claw.
    You can't have any sharp edges at these contact points- as MOST extractors come from manufacturer.

Properly radius/polish and undercut the extractor claw
    . Leaving a sharp, 90 degree "corner" will bite into case: web/rim and will never work properly.

THEN worry about "bending"/tensioning it.

Frequently the extractor tip, or nose needs to be shortened as well. Common for a new extractor to be so long it will contact the barrel when going into battery.
    Understanding the relationship, or interrelationship, between parts is a big deal in having a 1911 that functions flawlessly.

You can't be simply throwing parts together with any expectation that everything will work.

Get a mentor. Go to a 1911 gunsmith class.
    Something.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-24-20 at 05:46.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Was it resolved by following the advice from gaijin?
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Essentially, but the information came from another forum.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Good, thanks! (TOS) no worries

Quote Originally Posted by Hox013 View Post
    Essentially, but the information came from another forum.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark5pt56 View Post
    Good, thanks! (TOS) no worries
    I learned a ton in a few short hours, was up until 2am with a file, and now appear to have everything fit properly and passing standard checks. Range will be the tell all, coming soon

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hox013 View Post
    I learned a ton in a few short hours, was up until 2am with a file, and now appear to have everything fit properly and passing standard checks. Range will be the tell all, coming soon
    Haha-like a kid at Christmas! Hope it works out.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Excellent.

Let us know how it functions.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Excellent.

Let us know how it functions.
    Will do!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another question I have is after applying tension, it made this ledge or shelf on the breech face more apparent. This is why under tension the cartridge appears to be lifted off the breech face. Is this a problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast