Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: PSA New AK's -Shot Show

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:39.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    I guess for me the bigger picture is why buy an AK to begin with? Most people buy them because they are reliable and affordable. However only two main rifles consistently passed arctic government sponsored extreme cold weather reliability tests in the 1980's; AK variants or the FNC. For example, not even the SIG 550, M16, or Steyr AUG passed the Swedish military cold weather trials- only the Galil (FFV 890C) and the FNC. So when arctic governments started shopping replacements to go with lighter rifles they went through many trials. The Swedish government upgraded from the AK4 G3 to a modified version of the FNC only because it used an M16 style mag. Finland was already ahead of the curve with their RK 62 milled AK's but upgraded to the lighter RK 76 stamped receiver model to replace the heavier milled variants. Norway just kept their AG3 G3's because they didn't care until much later when they opted to go with 416's since likely the FNC's were long out of production by the time they made up their mind. So today your best option as a civilian for an extreme all weather reliable rifle is an AK variant. Sure you can rig the tests or have some little nuances like "don't bring it inside when it's cold so it doesn't get condensation inside that freezes up the action or it needs to be run dry or run with special lube"- to help lesser designs deal with that kind of weather. However in the end- that AK reliability still is the standard by which others are judged by. Get a real deal imported AK as your go to bugout rifle and be done with it.

RR

Maybe you need to consider that some people, many people, just want an AK to shoot. Something to have fun with. Not every semiauto sold in America is a bug out gun.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    But it doesn't get that cold where I live...

Most everyone considers reliability the most important attribute of a military type rifle and I'd tend to agree. However, we need to look at the bigger picture when determining what's best. Semi auto and full auto rifles were not developed because they more reliable (or more accurate) than bolt action rifles. So, there had to be a reason that militaries were willing to sacrifice reliability. I'm thinking that was volume of fire. A less reliable semi or full auto can put more bullets down range on average than a more reliable bolt action rifle. The result is more hits in spite of the less reliable design. Let's apply the same thought process to accuracy. I'll just make up some numbers for the point of discussion. If an AK is 99.99% reliable and a competing rifle is 99.9% reliable, but the competing rifle is twice as accurate as the AK, which would you rather have? Which is going to save more of your soldiers' lives and cost more of your enemies' lives? In the end it comes down to which is best on average at hitting enemy targets in the shortest amount of time. Assuming that the AK is the most reliable military rifle, does that really make it the best?
    I’m don’t think that a bolt action is any more reliable than an AK. A Gew98 or a Mosinis Nagant with service ammunition is not more accurate than an AK within 300 yards.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 04-20-20 at 11:37.

Feedback Score
    I liked the previous response better.

If we look at more recent testing done by Pakistan involving tidal pluff mud? Still not 100% sure what that is. Only the Russian AK’s past. Does that mean everybody should chuck their Chinese and Romanian AK’s in the dumpster? Most people are more likely to spend time at the beach than the artic.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just thought I would bump this thread.

Based on this youtube video it looks like PSA is getting ready to release their version of the AK74. I don't think timing could be better either as 5.45 is one of the few rounds Im able to find under .40 a round and available by the case. My dream gun would be an AK105.

https://youtu.be/KU3m50g-ywQ
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Double post.
    Last edited by Vgex2; 09-02-20 at 21:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Just thought I would bump this thread.

Based on this youtube video it looks like PSA is getting ready to release their version of the AK74.
    PSA has released batches of the AK74 already, beginning last week, on their website. Price is $899.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why would anyone trust PSA to produce a quality AK74? Let alone pay $900 for one.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Why would anyone trust PSA to produce a quality AK74? Let alone pay $900 for one.
    Is there an alternative, other than not buying a ‘74?

My understanding is that PSA’s AKs have been doing well in the AKOU testing.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast