Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: PSA New AK's -Shot Show

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tostado22 View Post
    There isn't quality available now? I still don't understand what you're getting at besides looking down your nose at people who are satisfied with their $700 AK

There is a minimum standard that I have for my collection. I only buy firearms manufactured by companies that produce for their respective nation's military. That's it.

Feedback Score
    I agree with RetroRevolver when it comes to AK. There is something to be said about true combloc rifles. Iíll wait and see how Robskiís 5000 PSA AK test turns out for this particular model before I buy one. I definitely want a 7.62x39 AK, and frankly, I find it hard to swallow spending > $2k on a Rifle Dynamics or the like

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevolver77 View Post
    There is a minimum standard that I have for my collection. I only buy firearms manufactured by companies that produce for their respective nation's military. That's it.
    That's understandable, I have had to check that box before. There are certainly quality options out there, though. AK options seem to be very limited at the moment, but hopefully someone will get it together enough to fix the market

Feedback Score
    That's understandable, I have had to check that box before. There are certainly quality options out there, though. AK options seem to be very limited at the moment, but hopefully someone will get it together enough to fix the market

Here's a real Zastava Serbian AK for $800- they have them with wood stocks also.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...ap-black-stock

Here's a real Cugir Romanian AK for $720.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...-62x39mm-rifle

AK's come in the country in batches it seems- then once they stop coming in they double in price in a very short time. That's been true for the last two decades from what I can see. Start somewhere buy one if that's all you can get, then wait, get another but don't buy cheap US clones.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 02-11-20 at 22:53.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Do you know the story on their more expensive Romanian AK? Doesn't give a lot of info it seems

Feedback Score
    Do you know the story on their more expensive Romanian AK? Doesn't give a lot of info it seems
    The non WASR Romanians are US built clones, read the description. The other option for a Romanian would be the late 90's import WUM 1 series and then late 90's/early 2000's SAR 1 series. If you can get an original SAR 1 then do so just because they have the magwell dimples which look nice but otherwise the WASR is the same rifle sans dimples.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'll be looking if PSA gets into Galil and/or Valmet repros...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I'll be looking if PSA gets into Galil and/or Valmet repros...
    Why, so you can beta test an unreliable facsimile? Sorry. I couldn’t resist.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    I guess for me the bigger picture is why buy an AK to begin with? Most people buy them because they are reliable and affordable. However only two main rifles consistently passed arctic government sponsored extreme cold weather reliability tests in the 1980's; AK variants or the FNC. For example, not even the SIG 550, M16, or Steyr AUG passed the Swedish military cold weather trials- only the Galil (FFV 890C) and the FNC. So when arctic governments started shopping replacements to go with lighter rifles they went through many trials. The Swedish government upgraded from the AK4 G3 to a modified version of the FNC only because it used an M16 style mag. Finland was already ahead of the curve with their RK 62 milled AK's but upgraded to the lighter RK 76 stamped receiver model to replace the heavier milled variants. Norway just kept their AG3 G3's because they didn't care until much later when they opted to go with 416's since likely the FNC's were long out of production by the time they made up their mind. So today your best option as a civilian for an extreme all weather reliable rifle is an AK variant. Sure you can rig the tests or have some little nuances like "don't bring it inside when it's cold so it doesn't get condensation inside that freezes up the action or it needs to be run dry or run with special lube"- to help lesser designs deal with that kind of weather. However in the end- that AK reliability still is the standard by which others are judged by. Get a real deal imported AK as your go to bugout rifle and be done with it.

RR

Feedback Score
    But it doesn't get that cold where I live...

Most everyone considers reliability the most important attribute of a military type rifle and I'd tend to agree. However, we need to look at the bigger picture when determining what's best. Semi auto and full auto rifles were not developed because they more reliable (or more accurate) than bolt action rifles. So, there had to be a reason that militaries were willing to sacrifice reliability. I'm thinking that was volume of fire. A less reliable semi or full auto can put more bullets down range on average than a more reliable bolt action rifle. The result is more hits in spite of the less reliable design. Let's apply the same thought process to accuracy. I'll just make up some numbers for the point of discussion. If an AK is 99.99% reliable and a competing rifle is 99.9% reliable, but the competing rifle is twice as accurate as the AK, which would you rather have? Which is going to save more of your soldiers' lives and cost more of your enemies' lives? In the end it comes down to which is best on average at hitting enemy targets in the shortest amount of time. Assuming that the AK is the most reliable military rifle, does that really make it the best?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast