Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended purchases before VA goes to the dark side

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    I've got a question about all this registration stuff. Don't you think that simply by purchasing a firearm that there is some database you're linked to? Weve got to complete state and federal forms and get an approval. Am I the only one that feels we've been registered for awhile?
    Pretty sure it is explicitly illegal to keep info called in on the NICS check. Not that things being illegal necessarily stops the government.

The info on the 4473 stays on that 4473 with the FFL for a minimum of 20 years till it can be destroyed. If FFL goes out of business during that time the ATF is supposed to take them.

Most people who would be members on this site and live in a shall issue state probably have a carry license, which of course is a database that exists somewhere that pretty strongly indicates firearms ownership. So what?

Feedback Score
    I've got a question about all this registration stuff. Don't you think that simply by purchasing a firearm that there is some database you're linked to? Weve got to complete state and federal forms and get an approval. Am I the only one that feels we've been registered for awhile?
    Aside from private transactions and home-made stuff, its not “registered”, but they can visit ffls and look at form 4473s and trace a firearm to you. Of course you can always sell a gun, via personal transaction, so that can cog the works.

Feedback Score

Recommended purchases before VA goes to the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Aside from private transactions and home-made stuff, its not “registered”, but they can visit ffls and look at form 4473s and trace a firearm to you. Of course you can always sell a gun, via personal transaction, so that can cog the works.
    They usually don’t visit an FFL during a trace. They just call and ask for the information.
    When an FFL goes out of business the bound book gets sent to the ATF. It is against the law to enter the information into a registry of gun owners, but my agent told me that the bound books get scanned to make it easier to do traces that involve former FFLs.

Individual states sometimes do create registries.

Nothing in the NICS request links anything other than an interest in firearms to your identity. No firearm data is part of the request.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Steve Shannon; 01-26-20 at 12:29.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Over the past 30 years I could wallpaper a house will all of the 4473's I've filed out. Those are non starters.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    125 (100%)
    If you don't have or can't get a spare bolt or firing pin for that matter, in the future, your AR is just so many rounds away from becoming a boat anchor or club.
    Last edited by Biggy; 01-26-20 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    If you don't have or can't get a spare bolt in the future, your AR is just so many rounds away from becoming a boat anchor or club.

True and this is absolutely not something to assume you will always be able to get

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Only the Federal form has info on the model and serial #. The State form in Va only has type of firearm, such as rifle, pistol, shotgun.
    Nothing about caliber. Doubt ATF under Trump will share info w VA's Commie Governor.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpom View Post
    Only the Federal form has info on the model and serial #. The State form in Va only has type of firearm, such as rifle, pistol, shotgun.
    Nothing about caliber. Doubt ATF under Trump will share info w VA's Commie Governor.
    It's the ATF. I doubt very much that any block that Trumpster may or may not put in place would be worth a damn. Such info could always be "leaked" after all.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-17 View Post
    It's the ATF. I doubt very much that any block that Trumpster may or may not put in place would be worth a damn. Such info could always be "leaked" after all.
    They won't necessarily need ATF's cooperation in many cases. Most Anti-gun CLEOs will have a file cabinet full of notification letters from Form 4 applications. I've heard second hand that at least one rural Sheriff in SW Va just has his staff shred the notification letters, but I doubt that's common in urban areas. I also wouldn't be surprised if some SOTs sent letters to State Police instead of the local police chief or sheriff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Aggie View Post
    They won't necessarily need ATF's cooperation in many cases. Most Anti-gun CLEOs will have a file cabinet full of notification letters from Form 4 applications. I've heard second hand that at least one rural Sheriff in SW Va just has his staff shred the notification letters, but I doubt that's common in urban areas. I also wouldn't be surprised if some SOTs sent letters to State Police instead of the local police chief or sheriff.
    Man what a depressing situation in Virginia. Bloomberg is pumping $60 million into disarming 13 more pro gun states.

Last edited by Cane55; 01-29-20 at 02:46.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast