Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Centurion Arms Barrels

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    Gas port is important - I don't dispute that. What I find silly is that some people argue that, for example, a gas port 0.072 is better than 0.076. Why they argue that and what data points they have - absolutely nothing. Not only, that most folks haven't measured gas ports at all.

Then they start going into even deeper theoretical discussion of throwing into the equation things like all sort of ammo from handloads and steel case to M855A1, A5 or rifle setup, different springs, different buffer weights, what if they want to cut down barrel in the future. But it does not stop here, no. They also start postulating reliability with 6 different brands of suppressors (most, if not all, of them they don't own), etc. etc.

Matter of fact - most trusted brands will have proper sized ports. Even PSA will be fine, it might be on the larger side, but it will work fine for most people.

Here is an interesting point - there was a thread in the Technical Section here, where a member claimed that 2(or 3) different Mil-Spec BCGs produced a drastically different recoil characteristics in the same gun. More knowledgable members than I, accurately pointed out that was due to a different cam path on BCGs - which was later confirmed. How many people who like to theorize about recoil and minor gas port difference considered that fact? I suspect - very few, if any.

Gas port is important, but it does not alone define reliability, durability or recoil characteristics of the weapon. Saying that an AR with the gas port size 0.08 will beat itself to death vs 0.07 (or 0.074) is simply, absolutely, positively NOT TRUE. Suppressor might change variables, but then you start going into what brand and what kind of back pressure and etc. If you want to run a can - you might have to do a custom port size. Do your own testing with the barrel length, port size, and buffer setup you like and let us know - i'd be interested in what works for other members.
    Excellent point/post. That bcg may have been mine that you are referring to. No one seemed to believe me. I sent it out to be inspected. Chad at SOTAR found it had very tight tolerances, while still being in spec. So, nothing wrong with it, passes mil spec gauging. He tried it in his firearms too, and found higher recoil as well. After inspecting multiple bcg’s, I could see a difference in cam paths on some (just the lower cost brands)

Then there is the rest of the system. How tight or loose is the gas block, tube, key, and tube to key? Buffer springs seem to be hit or miss, some guys have cycling issues with certain brands and rates in the same barrel/buffer setup as someone else.

So I had come to the same conclusion that you are pointing out when I went through my situation. Also, will not buy any bargain bcg’s, buffers, or springs anymore.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    /thread revive:

I ended up snagging an unfired Centurion 16" LW on the EE for a smoking price and building an upper out of it. Out of the box I checked it with pin gauges and confirmed it to be .080". Got on BRT's website right away and ordered a microtune gas block with the .071 insert. I've read that some think this is too small; however, DD 16" mids have been confirmed to run .073 and Colt 6960's are confirmed at .071, so I figured I was safe. Ended up doing a test fire yesterday and the bolt locked back on Winchester .223 white box, AE .223, and AE 5.56. Recoil was incredibly tame with the .223 loads, and similar to a mil-spec 14.5 carbine with the 5.56. Each ammo type was tested in incremental loadings of 1 round, 2 rounds, 3 rounds, 5 rounds, then 9 rounds.

BCM blem upper
    BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    Centurion 16" mid LW 556 barrel
    Centurion BCG
    Centurion 14" CMR Gen 1
    BRT gas block
    .071 insert
    A2 FH
    H2 buffer
    Sprinco blue buffer spring
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    /thread revive:

I ended up snagging an unfired Centurion 16" LW on the EE for a smoking price and building an upper out of it. Out of the box I checked it with pin gauges and confirmed it to be .080". Got on BRT's website right away and ordered a microtune gas block with the .071 insert. I've read that some think this is too small; however, DD 16" mids have been confirmed to run .073 and Colt 6960's are confirmed at .071, so I figured I was safe. Ended up doing a test fire yesterday and the bolt locked back on Winchester .223 white box, AE .223, and AE 5.56. Recoil was incredibly tame with the .223 loads, and similar to a mil-spec 14.5 carbine with the 5.56. Each ammo type was tested in incremental loadings of 1 round, 2 rounds, 3 rounds, 5 rounds, then 9 rounds.

BCM blem upper
    BCM Mod 4 charging handle
    Centurion 16" mid LW 556 barrel
    Centurion BCG
    Centurion 14" CMR Gen 1
    BRT gas block
    .071 insert
    A2 FH
    H2 buffer
    Sprinco blue buffer spring
    Awesome! I did the same thing with mine. It shoots very soft and very accurate.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456