Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to trouble shoot a PFC9 (Polymer 80)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Trying to trouble shoot a PFC9 (Polymer 80)

Not sure how many of you have built a P80 Glock clone yet, but I just attempted to build one today. There are 2 issues that I’ve run into, both may be related. The slide binds up, if I drop the slide release it won’t, but it binds pretty good before going into battery 1/2-1” prior to getting completely into battery if I ride the slide even a little or pull the slide back ever so slightly. When it does this the slide lock will fall out completely, seems something is depressing the slide lock spring. Otherwise, the trigger seems to work, slide locks back if I insert an empty mag.

Has anyone run into any quirky issues like this before?

I built this with Brownells slide, serialized P80 PFC9 frame (not an 80% build), all Glock stock OEM upper/lower internal parts to include the barrel, minus Apex trigger kit (which seems to not be an issue).
    Last edited by PatrioticDisorder; 01-25-20 at 17:22.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Did you call customer service? Maybe they’ve seen this before on their products?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Business_Casual View Post
    Did you call customer service? Maybe they’ve seen this before on their products?
    Not yet, I mean it’s a franken gun. I’m sure I could call,
    I’m sure it’s probably something I assembled incorrectly, but I’m not sure what it would be.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For the binding...I think you just need to run the snot out of the slide and work it in. Sounds very similar to the issue my brother had when he put his together. About 30-40 “cycles”, it started going into full battery after that.

For the slide stop, sounds like the slide stop spring is not captured by the pin correctly. Can you post pics of the slide stop spring and pin from a few angles?
    Last edited by hotrodder636; 01-25-20 at 18:09.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A couple things to check:

1. Check recoil spring channel
    Mine had the recoil spring binding here when compressed (ie. slide to rear) and would slow the slide closing. Easy way to check is to remove your recoil spring/rod and place in the channel. Make sure it fits with no issues/contact points. You may need to remove some material.

2. How is your slide to rail fit?
    Check your slide to rail fitment but stripping your slide and seeing if it can move freely along the rails. If it is binding on the front or rear rails, you may need to slightly remove material/polish these areas. Use a sharpening stone or fine file.

3. Check barrel to slide fitment.
    Brownells slides seem to have tight tolerances. Not that this is a bad thing but the top front edge of your barrel may be catching on the ejection port when going into battery. Mine does this and I have been assured by a P80 savvy buddy, that this wears in over time. Cycling it a couple hundred times has started wearing the finish on my barrel down already. I'm sure inside the slide is similar at this point.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have had similar issues, even with a factory serialized PFC9 lower.

The slide binding up is a tolerance issue. You will need to take a dremel to the frame rails. It has nothing to do with polishing. I think I took like 30% of the rail width off. It looks bad but there’s still enough metal to support the slide and it cycles buttery smooth now.

Lol @ call customer service!!!!!! LMAO even. Good luck with that. A suggestion from someone who’s obviously never called them.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I had to do a lot of fitting on my P80 G19 clone. Including what Euro said (but with files and polishing compound, and marking high spots). The slide to rail fit was...tight. Tighter than fish *€$$¥ .The barrel lockup was also too tight. Even after getting it mostly running and launching a few hundred rounds, it had an unacceptable stoppage rate. I lost patience and haven’t touched it in a year. It was a good lesson in tolerance stacking and non-Glock Glocks, and I learned a lot.

Edited because I did not use an angle grinder.

Edit 2: there were no factory Glock parts in this gun. I should have put that in here originally. But thats what I meant by tolerance stacking.
    Last edited by 1168; 01-26-20 at 07:59. Reason: Add

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Good to know about modding the rails. I have two lowers built that I am waiting to put slides on.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have had similar issues, even with a factory serialized PFC9 lower.

The slide binding up is a tolerance issue. You will need to take a dremel to the frame rails. It has nothing to do with polishing. I think I took like 30% of the rail width off. It looks bad but there’s still enough metal to support the slide and it cycles buttery smooth now.

Lol @ call customer service!!!!!! LMAO even. Good luck with that. A suggestion from someone who’s obviously never called them.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I didn’t have the slide lock spring installed correctly, once I figured that out and installed correctly, all my problems were solved, gun is not binding nor is the slide lock falling out. This was my first time ever installing that part or building a handgun from parts, lesson learned.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticDisorder View Post
    I didn’t have the slide lock spring installed correctly, once I figured that out and installed correctly, all my problems were solved, gun is not binding nor is the slide lock falling out. This was my first time ever installing that part or building a handgun from parts, lesson learned.
    Lucckkkyyyy!

At least you didnt have to start grinding stuff down. Go shoot it and let us know how it is (Some of them tend to have weak ejection)
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast