Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Alien Pistol

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

Wasn't this the new hotness a few years ago? Strike One pistol.
    Yes, that's what I was thinking of! Thanx.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Strike One was a slight change of existing handguns. Where I view the Alien as a totally new approach, due to the way they have put existing technology together.

Does the Alien amount to a revolution in handguns ?

No. I don't think a revolution is possible until the type of projectile has under gone a revolution.

Is the Alien an evolution enough that once it has been tested a bit in the market place and the price comes down, that I will buy one ? You bet. Will they survive that long? Who knows.

But I like what I see.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The Strike One is also still around, unlike the Hudson H9. The Hudson H9 was the more mechanically novel of the two.

But both the Strike One and the Hudson H9 were pretty well hyped by knowledgeable people before they showed up on the market. I actually know a local firearms instructor who recently got an Archon B (the pistol that was the Strike One) and really likes it.

The key difference being, I think, that the Hudson and the Strike One/Archon B are priced at a level to be accessible to the average shooter (if they save a couple extra pennies). The Alien is priced more like a high end semi-custom 1911/2011 or a Korth revolver. Which don't necessarily sell well to guys wanting hard-use pistols, but may sell well to those who "appreciate" the art of a well-made firearm.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    The Strike One is also still around, unlike the Hudson H9. The Hudson H9 was the more mechanically novel of the two.

But both the Strike One and the Hudson H9 were pretty well hyped by knowledgeable people before they showed up on the market. I actually know a local firearms instructor who recently got an Archon B (the pistol that was the Strike One) and really likes it.

The key difference being, I think, that the Hudson and the Strike One/Archon B are priced at a level to be accessible to the average shooter (if they save a couple extra pennies). The Alien is priced more like a high end semi-custom 1911/2011 or a Korth revolver. Which don't necessarily sell well to guys wanting hard-use pistols, but may sell well to those who "appreciate" the art of a well-made firearm.
    True, but the problem being for the Alien, there is nothing "custom" about the look of the gun unlike the high end 1911's and Korth's which ooze custom.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    True, but the problem being for the Alien, there is nothing "custom" about the look of the gun unlike the high end 1911's and Korth's which ooze custom.
    I don't think it is a problem for them. They are not trying to capitalize on the look. They are playing an "innovation translating into a performance advantage" card. They don't need to improve the looks. They need to show objective performance advantage and make it available to a broad enough segment who cares. The only way I see that happen is them making 2000 units theoretically available, convincing USPSA to allow top rail mounting in carry optics, and sponsoring a smartly chosen USPSA shooting team, even if it takes giving away 20-30 guns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I don't think it is a problem for them. They are not trying to capitalize on the look. They are playing an "innovation translating into a performance advantage" card. They don't need to improve the looks. They need to show objective performance advantage and make it available to a broad enough segment who cares. The only way I see that happen is them making 2000 units theoretically available, convincing USPSA to allow top rail mounting in carry optics, and sponsoring a smartly chosen USPSA shooting team, even if it takes giving away 20-30 guns.
    I guess we will definitely find out.

Feedback Score
    Anyone seen one of these out in the wild yet? They were supposed to be delivered late spring. It’s almost fall.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Anyone hear anything about anything?

Bueller? Bueller?
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    So it looks like it was finally approved for sale in the US and Lancer is the distributor.

https://lancer-systems.com/product/l...ol-50-deposit/

Their Facebook page has pictures of pallettes of gun boxes. I’m not going to link to Facebook.

We’ll see how long they keep up the $5k price. Maybe people will pay it. You can make an argument that it is rational, but that kind of cash for a production gun... we’ll see.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 12-27-20 at 20:29.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score

Still looks good, but not feeding blunt nose and being snappy is interesting. Like Larry says, the snappy comes from the delayed/blowback that is inherent in these type guns like the HK P7. While the P7 is heavy, it is kind of butt heavy and that mass doesn't seem to help out with recoil mitigation. While it has even a lower bore axis than the P7, it would be cool to find out how the snappiness takes away some of that benefit.

Still a cool gun, but it has gone from regret to not getting in on the first run, to interested to see what the used market looks like.

Low bore axis
    Non recip sight base
    good trigger (I'd like to know more)

VS

Snappy
    Expensive

If they were $1500-2000 yes, but I realize that STI guns are $2k plus and almost $5k- and that is for 'factory' guns. The Alien is a factory gun too, but they seem to think that they compete with customs guns, which can get expensive.

Laugo or two HK SP-5s? That kind of puts it in perspective.

A P7M13 in 1991 was $1160, with inflation it would be $2200 in 2021 dollars.

A SP89/MP5 was about the same price, so it tracks to the $2500 list price that I've seen lately.

The Alien is no P7, or the other way around. $5k....

That is a lot of training to get me to shoot the guns I have. Frankly, I got rid of my 40SW guns because of them being snappy.

It's that simple.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast