Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien Pistol

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    They have a very steep uphill battle. This being clearly a competition oriented model, four things will have to happen.

1. Their best bet for mass adoption is USPSA, so Laugo / Lancer will have to import 2,000 units regardless how well or poorly they are selling. They can try to play in the Open without 2000 units thing but then they will need a comped barrel and, above that, a proof of being 9 Major rated.

2. Carry Optics would be the division where this design is likely to offer incremental benefits. Laugo got a significant setback with IPSC that prohibited mounting optics on the top fixed rail. If USPSA did the same and mandated that optic is attached to a reciprocating part of the upper assembly, I don't see how $4,000 gun would make it in the field where $900 gun wins Nationals.

3. Assuming the two things above happen, Lancer and Laugo need to make different top rails readily available to allow for different optics attachment.

4. If all of that is said and done, they need people who would drop close to 10 grand on guns and gear of an unknown entity from reliability, performance, durability, and factory support angles.

Right now their market will be solely "cool guns aficionados with lots of cash", and that's not gonna go far. I feel that this gun, regretfully, will flop but I hope that they sell their design to a bigger player who can implement it on a mass produced scale.
    Last edited by YVK; 01-26-20 at 09:56.

Feedback Score
    I have to say the IPSC rule of not allowing optics on a fixed rail, if used to ban an innovative pistol like this is just plain stupid.

This is the most innovative pistol that I have seen in a long time, I give them a lot of credit for thinking out of the box.

Feedback Score
    On the US website, I thought there was a version with a reciprocating red dot mount. I agree that is the usual kind of in-breed thinking to innovation- I guess until STI and SVI work out their responses.

The interesting thing is that there isn't anything really 'new' here. The Inrange guys cover that. Gas piston delay blow back- P7. The remove-able top strap is mentioned as being over 100 years old. Fixed barrel- not new.

the side-by-side of the gas piston and the recoil spring is interesting but there isn't really much 'new' here- which doesn't mean that there aren't patents.

Still didn't hear caliber. I assume 9mm and 40SW.

Interesting that it is a steel/metal frame.

My problem is I have 3 different $5k+ hobby desires, and not a single $5k bill
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I have to say the IPSC rule of not allowing optics on a fixed rail, if used to ban an innovative pistol like this is just plain stupid.

This is the most innovative pistol that I have seen in a long time, I give them a lot of credit for thinking out of the box.
    I agree. Not sure the reason, competitors yapping, or rule book thing, but the end point is not good. I hope USPSA rules differently but it needs 2000 units just to make any ruling.

Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    On the US website, I thought there was a version with a reciprocating red dot mount.
    It is Laugo's workaround the IPSC ruling, and it looks horrible.

I am almost certain it is 9 mm. I wish they had 40 too, it would have opened the door into the Limited.

Feedback Score
    Well the price point isn’t out of bounds by that far for a tuned up race gun, those race gun basics can be bought for a lot less and then tuned up by a Smith. It looks like they want to gather all of that value rather than sell starter guns at 1500 to a Smith who will slick it up and pretty it up for a couple grand.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Price points are division-specific. Based on Laugo's submission to IPSC, the Alien is primarily directed at Carry Optics. Based on post # 6, they will want $4000 for just an iron sighted model; the optic rail will likely cost extra. The two most expensive guns of this division, Walther SF and CZ Shadow 2, tuned and in optic-ready forms are $1600. The most common guns of this division are various P320 variants at under $1000, followed by Glocks. Factor in that most serious competitors, unless cash-strapped, will have two identical guns. With prices quoted right now, Alien is completely out of bounds for the division it seems to be intended for. Same goes for another 9 x 19 division, the Production.
    For Alien to stay price neutral relative to competition, it has to play in the Major power factor divisions where $4,000 guns are the norm. That means either .40SW or comped 9 Major variants.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Their business model = complete fail. Anybody with any common sense sees this. How they think it will work is beyond me unless they are just looking to show that it is a sound and reliable design and cash in on selling the patents.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Laugo isn't the first or only company in Europe to decide to make a really nice handgun and charge big bucks for it. I'm sure they'll sell loads of them to whoever is also buying loads of Korth revolvers.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    The P7/PSP was the most expensive mass produced pistol at one time. On the Remington R51 is/was not. Both gas delayed, fixed barrel pistols.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The P7/PSP was the most expensive mass produced pistol at one time. On the Remington R51 is/was not. Both gas delayed, fixed barrel pistols.
    If I offered you a gift of a pistol and you could only chose from those 2 pistols, which would you take?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast