Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me make a decision

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Help me make a decision

I’ve got a BCM 14.5 with an aimpoint T2 and I love it. I also have a 6920 that I don’t use much because I don’t like FSBs and short rails but always want to keep a Colt around.

I want another AR to put an LPVO on. I’m thinking about Knights and could get a 16” SR15 now or I could get a KAC lower and 14.5 upper. I’d then have to have the upper pinned.

The complete 16” would be a couple hundred cheaper plus the pinning. Wondering if it’s worth double the price over just doing another BCM?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I feel a decade of being all-in with this hobby has given me at least some legitimacy in sharing two of my AR15 rules.

1) Buying a KAC is almost always “worth it”
    2) Pinning a flash hider never is.

You have good taste. Get the KAC.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I feel a decade of being all-in with this hobby has given me at least some legitimacy in sharing two of my AR15 rules.

1) Buying a KAC is almost always “worth it”
    2) Pinning a flash hider never is.

You have good taste. Get the KAC.
    I just really like the balance of 14.5s and think that would easily be the standard if we didn’t have these asinine laws. But I hear you. So far, my pinned BCM hasn’t caused any issues but the 16” KAC would lend better to a scope anyway I suppose.

Feedback Score
    You could always cut down the front sight on the Colt and they have drop in free float rail options that will use your existing delta ring.

I have the Troy Charlie but I left the front sight and I've been happy with it.

https://troyind.com/products/charlie-blk

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Wondering if it’s worth double the price over just doing another BCM?
    From the reliability factor - probably no. From the coolness and shootability factor (accuracy, ambi controls) - possibly.

I'd go with 14.5 pinned if you're not assembling an upper yourself especially for KAC since you won't be able to easily remove URX 4 rail anyway without special tools. FYI: Somebody from KAC commented in another thread that pinning a muzzle device voids a factory warranty.

Or you can buy a KAC lower with all the ambi controls and another BCM 14.5 upper avoiding non-standard parts like bolt and barrel. But at that point you might as well go with all BCM and save some money. Tough choices, both are good brands though.
    Last edited by alx01; 01-26-20 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    From the reliability factor - probably no. From the coolness and shootability factor (accuracy, ambi controls) - possibly.

I'd go with 14.5 pinned if you're not assembling an upper yourself especially for KAC since you won't be able to easily remove URX 4 rail anyway without special tools. FYI: Somebody from KAC commented in another thread that pinning a muzzle device voids a factory warranty.

Or you can buy a KAC lower with all the ambi controls and another BCM 14.5 upper avoiding non-standard parts like bolt and barrel. But at that point you might as well go with all BCM and save some money. Tough choices, both are good brands though.
    Yea I’m more interested in the KAC bolt and gas system then I am their lower.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just really like the balance of 14.5s and think that would easily be the standard if we didn’t have these asinine laws. But I hear you. So far, my pinned BCM hasn’t caused any issues but the 16” KAC would lend better to a scope anyway I suppose.
    There is nothing wrong with pinning a 14.5" barrel unless you feel the need to swap muzzle devices around on a regular basis. If you buy a can down the road, you can always send the upper out to have the new mount swapped over. Sure its a couple more bucks, but it isn't like drilling or grinding a pin head is hard work for semi decent smiths.

I have huge doubts that you would see a difference between the 14.5" and 16" barrels in terms of accuracy, but going with an 18" KAC Precision upper is always another option if its going to live with a scope.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have a KAC upper that I put a 1-6x on. It's an awesome setup. Capable of 1MOA. I'd say go for the 16".
    It is from the construction of underground FEMA camps. I can't say more because there a guy parked in front of house in an AMC Pacer. He is acting like he talking on the phone, but I know better.

I have to sign off now & put my laptop in the microwave.
    - cqbdriver

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post

Here is one of mine with a 14.5" Noveske tack driver barrel mated to a KAC rail and pinned to a KAC muzzle device. It wears a 1-6, though it could just as easy wear a longer range / higher power optic if desired.

Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Yea I’m more interested in the KAC bolt and gas system then I am their lower.
    So maybe just get a new KAC upper and put it on your Colt lower? Stash the Colt upper in the back of the safe, and swap back whenever you feel like it. Unless you really want / need a third complete rifle....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast