Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me make a decision

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Here is one of mine with a 14.5" Noveske tack driver barrel mated to a KAC rail and pinned to a KAC muzzle device. It wears a 1-6, though it could just as easy wear a longer range / higher power optic if desired.

What is that behind the front sight?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    What is that behind the front sight?
    A stop / rest from KAC. Not sure if they are made anymore.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I feel a decade of being all-in with this hobby has given me at least some legitimacy in sharing two of my AR15 rules.

1) Buying a KAC is almost always “worth it”
    2) Pinning a flash hider never is.

You have good taste. Get the KAC.
    I'd rather have a pinned 14 5" carbine gas upper than a 16" middy. There is a subtle but noticeable improvement in handling that I prefer.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I pin because there are no SBRs in my state and I can discern a handling difference over a 16" + FH. Also, I don't care about the cost or effort of grinding off a FH or buying a new barrel on the small chance I want to make a change.

Ask yourself what are your chances of changing parts and your tolerance for extra work and cost.

Of course, I have a problem building uppers just because I can...

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have a stamp for a 14.5” gun. 14.5” guns are great.

But I think pinning is that stupid.

The price of pinning is like half what a stamp costs.
    I hear you, but then again one can remain legal and not be on a registry (priceless).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Unless you just really have the new gun fever, shave your FSB and put a long rail on your 6920.

I've owned and shot Colts, KAC, and BCM and I would put a Colt barrel up against a KAC ANY DAY.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It may have been mentioned here but 1.5” of barrel may not seem like a lot but combined with a 13” rail vs 15” rail, it makes a noticeable difference in overall handling. I think a 14.5” barrel/13” rail is the GOAT overall combo.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I'd rather have a pinned 14 5" carbine gas upper than a 16" middy. There is a subtle but noticeable improvement in handling that I prefer.
    I have a 16" Colt M4 profile upper and a 14.5 pinned SOCOM profile. The 14.5 just looks and handles slightly better. Maybe it's the M4 profile vs. SOCOM profile, not sure but the 14.5 gets used and the 16" stays home.
    My last 2 gun match featured several USPSA style stages with barricades, walls, barrels, etc., close confines and the 14.5 just felt natural in this environment.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    It may have been mentioned here but 1.5” of barrel may not seem like a lot but combined with a 13” rail vs 15” rail, it makes a noticeable difference in overall handling. I think a 14.5” barrel/13” rail is the GOAT overall combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    I have a 16" Colt M4 profile upper and a 14.5 pinned SOCOM profile. The 14.5 just looks and handles slightly better. Maybe it's the M4 profile vs. SOCOM profile, not sure but the 14.5 gets used and the 16" stays home.
    My last 2 gun match featured several USPSA style stages with barricades, walls, barrels, etc., close confines and the 14.5 just felt natural in this environment.
    Agreed, the difference is subtle; bit it's there. My wife's 14.5 SOCOM under 13" URX4 is probably the best handling gun we have when it doesn't have 3LBS glass + mount perched on top of it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Agreed, the difference is subtle; bit it's there. My wife's 14.5 SOCOM under 13" URX4 is probably the best handling gun we have when it doesn't have 3LBS glass + mount perched on top of it...
    I shoot iron sights so mine stays light, DD A1 rear with traditional front sight GB. I do use a KNS pin head front sight post, I paint the little globe on the top gold. Works for me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123