Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me make a decision

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Unless it came from Jack, I'd be skeptical about the claim that pinning will void the warranty. I do know that KAC won't work on a gun with a pinned MD, so you'd have to get it un-pinned if you needed to send it back, but that's usually rare. There was a 14.5 vs. 16 thread within the past few months where I posted a comparison between the two. I had a 16" and sold it because I still like the 14.5 better. The biggest thing to me is the rail - I want a rail that covers almost the whole barrel but keep in mind while people claim there is only about a 1" difference between the barrels, the rails are typically 13 vs 15 inches. That's more length and weight than I want to deal with. Plus, the LPR and 16 would be a little unnecessary, but I feel 11.5, 14.5, and LPR's 18 is a good range of options.

Also, if there was ever a gun at 16.1 or under that I'd put the new Razor 1-10 on, it'd be that one.
    Last edited by Wake27; 01-26-20 at 12:24.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Yea I’m more interested in the KAC bolt and gas system then I am their lower.
    If that's the case, then it seems that you're already leaning towards a KAC upper that has their bolt and their gas system in the 16" or 14.5" variety.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I have an 11.5 and 14.5. Between the two, I find myself shooting the 14.5 more often. As far as weight and balance on it goes, it is perfect to me. I don't have experience with the 16" KAC, but as mentioned above, the extra inch of barrel and 2 inches of rail may make the slightest difference.

The way I see it, if you are already putting the money down, just go for the 14.5. No sense in compromising for something that is just almost perfect. I really think 16" rifles would be few and far between if not for NFA.

You will love the 14.5. The muzzle device it comes with standard really doesn't need any changing IMO. Only reason I can see is if you had a suppressor in mind other than a KAC that you would like to run.

Feedback Score
    I've picked up ARs as interest and opportunity converged, but no real pattern to it except due diligence on quality manufactures. Settled on BCM, DD and Colt and am happy enough, but if I were to clean slate, I'd buy a two KAC 16"s and call it.

To each their own, but I think pinning is a nuisance for zero gain -- I find no meaningful difference in balance or overall compactness versus the 16".

16"s to me are an excellent "do everything" size, and KACs are tuned for it and to work of a piece; I'd save the cash, buy the complete KAC 16" and be pleased.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker_Texasranger View Post
    Yea I’m more interested in the KAC bolt and gas system then I am their lower.
    In that case you've answered your own question. Barrel length is a matter of personal preference. You own both, just play around with each and decide.

Feedback Score
    I would go 16” kac.

If you suppress down the road, assuming it uses a longer qd mount, you could cut down to 13.7/14.0.

If you want to cut down, I wouldnt talk you out of it, but I would not suggest it if you are not 100% sure or have a dedicated muzzle device yet. The 1.5” isnt as big a deal without a silencer hanging off the end... and even then, its nice, but I doubt there will be noticeable performance gains.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I have a stamp for a 14.5” gun. 14.5” guns are great.

But I think pinning is that stupid.

The price of pinning is like half what a stamp costs.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-27-20 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I would go 16” kac.

If you suppress down the road, assuming it uses a longer qd mount, you could cut down to 13.7/14.0.

If you want to cut down, I wouldnt talk you out of it, but I would not suggest it if you are not 100% sure or have a dedicated muzzle device yet. The 1.5” isnt as big a deal without a silencer hanging off the end... and even then, its nice, but I doubt there will be noticeable performance gains.
    Cutting down a 16” KAC upper would be a colossal pain due to URX4 to the muzzle. 14.5” upper is the way to go, if you intend to end up at that length anyway. I also would not recommend putting a can under a URX4. They get hot enough with just barrel under them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I have a stamp for a 14.5” gun. 14.5” guns are great.

But I think pinning is that stupid.

The price of pinning is like half what a stamp costs.
    Pinning is fine, until the “gunsmith” you pay to do it swaps your peel washer for a crush washer, and you don’t notice right away. Or when you find yourself looking for the shortest barrel/longest muzzle device combo instead of using a 14.5” and a suppressor mount, or a 14.7” plus A2.

~14.5” SBR’s are great, indeed. I need to file for my 14” BRT/ 13” URX4 so it’ll have its own lower.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    1- I have a stamp for a 14.5” gun. 14.5” guns are great.

2- But I think pinning is that stupid.

3- The price of pinning is like half what a stamp costs.

I have stamps for guns that I use 18" barrels on, and later that day it wears an 8" barrel. 14.5" guns are great for indoor work when compared to the extra couple inches on their 16" cousins. When you are outside, its hard to see much difference between 14/5 vs 16 (at least for me it is).

Pinning is stupid, but its the price we pay for the idiocy of the SBR game. There is nothing in the 2A that comes close to making a SBR registration, taxation, or legislation legal. NOTHING.

Pinning is based on a few things, and most people could probably affix the muzzle device in place and drill it themselves if price were an object. Taking it to a local welder would be dirt cheap. I do agree that by the time someone sends it off, pays for the work, and return shipping, the costs get high quick.

See? You think we don't agree on anything, and I got yo back on all three of these!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

1) Buying a KAC is almost always “worth it”
    2) Pinning a flash hider never is.
    Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast