Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kobe Bryant is Gone

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just read 9 on board when it went down.
    What a tragedy, I can't imagine what it would by like in those last fleeting moments as a parent to be helpless to save your kid.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I flew helicopters for 18 years of my 22 years in the Army. Just under 8000 hours in total with two primary air frames. I only had one crash and it was when I was landing and took small arms fire into the tail boom, causing tail rotor transmission failure. Spun and dropped about 70 feet, landing on the skids and breaking off the rotors.

Too many factors in civilian rotor crashes, but a lot of the time it is maintenance, followed by weather and that is combined with pilot error.
    Kiowa scout pilot. 3rd Cav?

ETA: No need to answer. Taking this to PM

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    "People have always been stupid. The Internet just makes it easier for us to know about them." - donlapalma

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I flew helicopters for 18 years of my 22 years in the Army. Just under 8000 hours in total with two primary air frames. I only had one crash and it was when I was landing and took small arms fire into the tail boom, causing tail rotor transmission failure. Spun and dropped about 70 feet, landing on the skids and breaking off the rotors.

Too many factors in civilian rotor crashes, but a lot of the time it is maintenance, followed by weather and that is combined with pilot error.
    Cool trivia, guy who is a tour/answer guy at the UDT-SEAL Museum was one of the engineers who designed and tested the Blackhawk. The museum has a bird that was flown during the Jessica Buchanan rescue op and others as well others via 160th SOAR. One of the gents at the museum was on that op and the Director on that bird in Mogadishu.

"On January 25, 2012, a team of United States Navy SEALs raided a compound 12 miles north of the Somali town of Adow, killing nine Somali pirates and freeing their hostages, U.S. citizen Jessica Buchanan and Danish citizen Poul Hagen Thisted. This Black Hawk flew Jessica & Poul out to safety!"

Our SME on all things Blackhawk told me of the recs and the testing for the bird, and it was designed and tested to take an impressive amount of damage and still fly or at least land in one piece. That one was shot down 3 times! 2 of which are still classified, but each time, it got it's people home in one piece. Perhaps you and that bird crossed paths? Here's all the intel on the bird:

https://www.navysealmuseum.org/home-...awk-helicopter
    Last edited by WillBrink; 01-26-20 at 19:11.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boba Fett v2 View Post
    Kiowa scout pilot. 3rd Cav?
    OH-6, MH-6, AH-6 (1983-1994)

OH-58D (1994-1999) This period included 2/17 CAV
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Didn't he cheat on his wife, and rape someone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    Didn't he cheat on his wife, and rape someone?
    He did cheat in 2003, but from what we know, the rape allegation was bogus. The sex was consensual, the woman also admitted to banging 3 or more guys in addition to Kobe within a two day period, and was also batshit crazy. It was likely an attempted money grab, and the woman refused to testify at the trial so the case was dropped. To anyone's knowledge, that was his one misstep in his marriage. Not to excuse cheating, but it seems like he repented and moved forward.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Last I heard it was reported that the morning was foggy.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    I just read 9 on board when it went down.
    What a tragedy, I can't imagine what it would by like in those last fleeting moments as a parent to be helpless to save your kid.
    This was my feeling as well.

I was sitting on the couch cuddled up with my two daughters (2 and 4 years old) when my wife told me what happened. The gut wrenching feeling just thinking about it nearly makes me sick. How terrible it must be for the family. As a father, failure to protect my children/spouse has always been my worst fear..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just saw a video of the crash on YouTube.
    It looks like something went wrong as the banked right to come in to land. It would appear to a novice like myself that the pilot tried to autorotate and the whole thing flopped on its left side and fell like a stone.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Some of the videos supposed to be of his helicopter going down are not of his crash, background is a rock walled canyon.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast