Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Practically speaking, is there anything a 16" barrel will do that an 11.5" will not? Assuming they are set up the same regarding optic, etc. Is the concussion/blast that much more with the 11.5" out doors?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Jeep gun/backup to the SCAR is an AR pistol with a DD Mk 18 upper, 10.3" barrel. I've never had any issues with it, and couldn't be happier. The concussion isn't noticeably worse than a 16" gun, nor is it noticeably louder when you use ear pro. It is, however, far handier and easier to stash in a vehicle than a 16" barrel AR would be. I'm sure others will disagree, but I doubt the 1" extra will really help all that much but might make storage more of an issue. You'd probably be well served by either the DD or BCM offering, I'm just partial to DD myself.

For a Post-Apocalypse/SHTF gun, I'd recommend 5.56 over .300 BLK. .300 BLK is the better cartridge for a shorter barrel but is extremely limiting on ammo variety and selection. Unless you're going to stock away thousands of rounds of the stuff, and assume you'll never find more, it's not ideal.
    Last edited by Alpha-17; 01-28-20 at 08:29.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Practically speaking, is there anything a 16" barrel will do that an 11.5" will not? Assuming they are set up the same regarding optic, etc. Is the concussion/blast that much more with the 11.5" out doors?
    Just bullet velocity +/- 300fps. And if shooting next to someone the noise / concussion is increased. There is a difference between a full stock and a pistol stock but not huge until you get out past 200 yards.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Personally, I'd just use the carbines you have. Or another one.

I'm in a use case not too different. (Mine is a pinned 14.5" though)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Put another way: if the 2-2.5" length difference (pistol like the bcm 11" 27.5" collapsed vs M4 29.75") makes such a radical difference in your deployment speed, then I'd be thinking hard about where/what I'm driving.

Lotta trouble & expense for 2.5" length difference.

I say this as someone who last week rolled to a neighbor's property and carefully/quickly exited the vehicle with a 14.5" inch M4. It was defensive mode for me, not offensive. But did not want to walk into a potential home invasion situation outgunned. Did not do this lightly, nor do I recommend it. But the situation made it sense. (Neighbor alarm going off, front door standing open, neither responding to cell calls. Wife parked at end of driveway to explain to any police if they arrived. Which they did not.)

Feedback Score
    My first AR Pistol was a 10.5” and it was violently loud with the muzzle device it had, but it went bang every time. I then purchased a BCM 11.5” and it was a much better shooting experience...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My DD MK18 seems to hit easier at 300Y than my BCM 11.5 ELW or 12.5 Kino. All have RDS.

This is with IMI 77g and M193.

This is purely subjective as I have not benched each on paper with a real scope and various ammo yet.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    My DD MK18 seems to hit easier at 300Y than my BCM 11.5 ELW or 12.5 Kino. All have RDS.

This is with IMI 77g and M193.

This is purely subjective as I have not benched each on paper with a real scope and various ammo yet.

Dennis.
    My DD 16" outshoots the BCM 14.5, and 16" carbines I used to have. With every type of ammo I ran through it. Tested with an Aimpoint T1, and ACOG 4x
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I own a Daniel Defense V7P with a 10.3” barrel.

My son owns a BCM 11.5” gov profile upper that he put on an Aero lower.

The sound difference when shooting both guns unsuppressed is about the same.

Both guns are reliable and durable. The Daniel Defense is slightly more accurate than the BCM. The accuracy of the BCM is acceptable, but the DD’s a bit better.

Both guns have SB Tactical SBA3 braces with Split Fix straps installed. They both would make good truck guns. I use my Daniel Defense as a travel gun when on vacation.

The main advantage to the AR pistol for a truck gun is it’s easier to store and conceal than a 16” gun. It’s somewhat easier to deploy from a vehicle also.

But removing the easier to store and conceal portion of the equation, I’d prefer a 16” gun once I’m out of the vehicle.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 01-30-20 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    Another BCM guy here.. I had a pinned 6921 that is great but, I wanted another M4 so I suggested to the wife she needed one. I "got her" the 11.5 ELW with the T1 and a scout light and it's great. Can't go wrong with BCM.

I prefer the Tavor X95 for "4Runnner duty" though. Compactness without losing the advantages of the 16" barrel. I got a great deal on it so it was way less than the BCM. I get it if you wish to stay with one platform though.

No experience with DD but friends have them, love them.

It is a good time to be a gun guy!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast