Thread: Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Let me give a little profile for me. I am not a tactical guy, not a high volume shooter. I don't do classes and don't do any kind of run and gun training. I live in rural Northwest Georgia and I shoot 95% of the time at a 25yd indoor range. Sometimes on a buddy's dove field. I live in a rural area but still on a 1 acre lot in a subdivision surrounded by timber land. I don't really shoot for fun, just to maintain pretty basic skills on my limited collection of guns. I do prefer to buy high quality tools and not junk.

I have listened to the gospel here and have ended up with two matching Sionics 16" rifles, one with an Aimpoint T2. I have 4k+ rounds of XM193 and a large assortment of 30rd Okays and PMags. It all sits in wait for the apocalypse or when everyone decides to start the revolution. In reality though I'd stay home and take care of my wife and young kids, not going on the march.

Anyway, I've been thinking about what I really want in an AR and like I said it's mainly a tool like a chainsaw for me. I like things to be really streamlined and prefer guns to be as compact and lightweight as possible as I'm a small framed guy.

So what would I use an AR for? Of course, like most, if things went crazy in my area and I needed to defend my household from looters or whatever I'd like an AR. If we had to pile in the 4Runner and evacuate the area due to local disaster I'd like to have an AR handy in the truck.

Otherwise, having something handy when taking the family camping or bugging around in the woods, or in the 4Runner when we go ride trails in the mountains. In reality I only make it to the range once every couple of months. My wife does not shoot.

All that said I've been thinking hard on what would fill this role best and am considering an 11.5" 5.56 ELW BCM pistol w/ SBA3. Maybe hard mount my T2 (Geissele, Reptilia, etc.) and forego BUIS. A handful of 20 round mags and a few hundred 64gr GDSP.

I've also looked at the DDM4V7P but the 10.3" barrel seems like an odd ball. I have no plans to do any sort of NFA stuff so no suppressor, and I'm guessing the 10.3" is louder/more concussive than the 11.5".

Now, I have no experience with 300BLK. Would I be better served going that route over 5.56 for this use case?

I would most likely eventually sell off all the other stuff I've acquired if I decide I'm happy with the pistol setup.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this - thanks in advance.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 01-27-20 at 08:43.