Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Let me give a little profile for me. I am not a tactical guy, not a high volume shooter. I don't do classes and don't do any kind of run and gun training. I live in rural Northwest Georgia and I shoot 95% of the time at a 25yd indoor range. Sometimes on a buddy's dove field. I live in a rural area but still on a 1 acre lot in a subdivision surrounded by timber land. I don't really shoot for fun, just to maintain pretty basic skills on my limited collection of guns. I do prefer to buy high quality tools and not junk.

I have listened to the gospel here and have ended up with two matching Sionics 16" rifles, one with an Aimpoint T2. I have 4k+ rounds of XM193 and a large assortment of 30rd Okays and PMags. It all sits in wait for the apocalypse or when everyone decides to start the revolution. In reality though I'd stay home and take care of my wife and young kids, not going on the march.

Anyway, I've been thinking about what I really want in an AR and like I said it's mainly a tool like a chainsaw for me. I like things to be really streamlined and prefer guns to be as compact and lightweight as possible as I'm a small framed guy.

So what would I use an AR for? Of course, like most, if things went crazy in my area and I needed to defend my household from looters or whatever I'd like an AR. If we had to pile in the 4Runner and evacuate the area due to local disaster I'd like to have an AR handy in the truck.

Otherwise, having something handy when taking the family camping or bugging around in the woods, or in the 4Runner when we go ride trails in the mountains. In reality I only make it to the range once every couple of months. My wife does not shoot.

All that said I've been thinking hard on what would fill this role best and am considering an 11.5" 5.56 ELW BCM pistol w/ SBA3. Maybe hard mount my T2 (Geissele, Reptilia, etc.) and forego BUIS. A handful of 20 round mags and a few hundred 64gr GDSP.

I've also looked at the DDM4V7P but the 10.3" barrel seems like an odd ball. I have no plans to do any sort of NFA stuff so no suppressor, and I'm guessing the 10.3" is louder/more concussive than the 11.5".

Now, I have no experience with 300BLK. Would I be better served going that route over 5.56 for this use case?

I would most likely eventually sell off all the other stuff I've acquired if I decide I'm happy with the pistol setup.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this - thanks in advance.
    Last edited by grizzlyblake; 01-27-20 at 08:43.

Feedback Score
    For a casual shooter that trains infrequently and only plans to use the rifle in an unlikely apocalyptic scenario?

Buy either one...you won't be able to tell a practical difference.

Realistically, I can't really tell a difference between the muzzle blast on my 10.5" vs. my 11.5".

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Sounds an excellent plan to me for your imagined use(s)- and the BCM 11.5" ELW with SBa3 is certainly GTG.

Stick with 5.56 for a "one gun" scenario.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Sounds an excellent plan to me for your imagined use(s)- and the BCM 11.5" ELW with SBa3 is certainly GTG.

Yeah I agree. My BCM 11.5 is a very soft shooter, even when suppressed, and has been very reliable so far, creeping up on 2K rounds mixed suppressed and unsuppressed.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I went with a Bravo Company 11.5" 5.56 AR pistol. I've no experience owning a Daniel Defense product.

So far, it's been 99% reliable in over 3K rounds (unlike my Springfield Armory "Saint" 16" AR w/intermittent primer blow-outs). Springfield-Armory also has a 10.5" barreled AR pistol, but I was already having problems with its rifle and didn't want to get another from this brand yet (the rifle is with S-A right now and I'll just have to see how S-A handles the problem). I said 99% reliable as the last time I shot it, BCM charging handle began unlocking each time the bolt locked back on empty. I think the charging handle just picked up a random piece of sand/grit in the right place but I'll have to try that handle again next week or so. At the last range visit, I'd just substituted in a Radian LT charging handle for the remainder of my 300 round range visit that day.

My local gun store actually had a Daniel Defense in stock for awhile before I bought the BCM, but it cost more and had a feature which would have cost me a couple/few hundred dollars more; something called a "Law-tactical folding stock adapter". I also noticed the castle nut was not staked on this firearm, or maybe DD doesn't do that on its AR pistols or with that folding adapter (don't know). Secondarily, the adapter would have had its own non-standard buffer tube, spring, and buffer parts and I didn't want to be an early-adapter-person of this unknown. I realize DD has an AR pistol model without the folding brace feature but my store didn't have that in inventory that day.

I'm happy with my BCM right now, especially since my previously-main Springfield AR is out of action at the moment (which could take a month or two, then I'll need to regain confidence with it or get another AR). Almost forgot, I'm running an Eotech holosight, Magpul sling, Surefire X300 light, and the buis's off of the Springfield Saint, and one of those "KAG" grip things (not supposed to have an actual vertical grip on an AR pistol or so I've read).
    Last edited by L-2; 01-27-20 at 11:40.

Feedback Score
    For something you would have to use without earpro, Id go 11.5”-12.5” with a kx3/5 or linear comp.
    Definately no standard compensators.

11.5 will also give you extended range, though i dont know it would matter for your use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

This.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You seem to like Sionics (I do too, they make a solid rifle) so why not take a look at their 11.5" pistols? Or pick up one of their 11.5" uppers and put it on a pistol lower of your choice.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, I am a huge Sionics fan. The reason I was looking at BCM for this is because Sionics only offers their medium contour barrel in 11.5". BCM offers ELW and Fluted ELW, which weigh a half pound less than the Sionics barrel.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The 11.5 ELW is super handy especially with a red dot. The DD is nice and compact and with a lawtac folding pistol stock its backpackable. That being said I would consider the 10.5 to be a 200 yard and in gun. You will be able to hit things out much father but you would need to factor in if you have the velocity for expansion.

If your not planning on going with a suppressor at any point and personally having both, I would recommend the 11.5. Its a good do all size. More velocity, very lightweight and handy, and less of a fireball from unburnt powder.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast