Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    For something you would have to use without earpro, Id go 11.5”-12.5” with a kx3/5 or linear comp.
    Definately no standard compensators.
    This is good advice. If you're shooting a 10.3 or 11.5" barrel AR unsuppressed, two things are inevitable - the fireball with M193 (and basically everything else, for that matter) and the concussion with a flash hider or standard comp. Linear comps help with the concussion.

Feedback Score
    I have the 10.3 DD. Can't comment on the BCM. No reliability issues. Excellent accuracy. It's very easy to get in and out of a vehicle with it. If I had to, I can work it around a steering wheel.

I honestly don't use my 16" guns for much of anything anymore. Still have them, but the DD seems to perform just as well out to 250 yards.

Feedback Score
    I have a BCM 11 1/2" and it has become my favorite AR in 5.56. Mine is not the ELW but I do have a 16" ELW and it is my second favorite 5.56. You asked about 300 black and if you decide to look into that further I would steer you toward a 12" 6.5 Grendel instead. I have one from PSA of all places and it is my favorite AR period.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Flash hiders and brakes on short barrels are very harsh, especially for a casual shooter. When you add a Noveske 'Flaming Pig' or something similar, you are giving up the compactness you want with an SBR/Pistol (i.e. no free lunch). Muzzle flash, in addition to concussion, can be severe.

For an out of the box option, have you considered a side folding stock for AR-15? Alternatively, as mentioned already, a Bullpup rifle like the Tavor might be a better solution. YMMV!
    Last edited by Sid Post; 02-08-20 at 20:04. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Guys, thanks for all the educated replies. I'm sure this thread will be helpful in the future for others looking for the same answers.

I decided to shelve the idea at this time. I'm moving forward with my 16" Sionics LW, but I've ordered a Gen 5 G19 MOS and an RMR and intend that to fill the role of extreme portability with more accuracy potential.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Flash hiders and brakes on short barrels are very harsh, especially for a casual shooter. When you add a Noveske 'Flaming Pig' or something similar, you are giving up the compactness you want with an SBR/Pistol (i.e. no free lunch). Muzzle flash, in addition to concussion, can be severe...
    All very true! I've tried a variety of muzzle devices on 5.56 10.5-11.5 inch barreled ARs before settling on a suppressor. However, there is one device that's no larger or heavier than an A2 birdcage that does a good job of pushing muzzle blast downrange and reducing flash to almost nothing- the BRT Covert Comp. My brother has one on his shorty and it's performance is all out of proportion to its cost. I recently installed a Covert Comp on one of my shorties, but haven't had a chance to shoot it. I'll let you know how it works when I do.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    SNIP ~ However, there is one device that's no larger or heavier than an A2 birdcage that does a good job of pushing muzzle blast downrange and reducing flash to almost nothing- the BRT Covert Comp. ~ SNIP
    I agree with the Covert Comp recommendation, but I get a flashbulb/strobe at every shot with mine on a 11.3" barrel. I am confident it reduces the effect, but it does not eliminate or minimize flash on the short barrel.

I have zero interest in shooting the pistol with any other flash hider or comp though.

Andy

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The Precision Armament EFAB is a hybrid I use on 10.5"s. It's rated by Manufacturer (FWIW) for use on barrels that short.
    My personal experience supports this; does a decent job at flash signature in addition to muzzle blast.

A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have an 11.5 ELW BCM and a Colt 6933 upper. I just put Brakeout 2.0s on them.

Great MD, but loud as hell without a suppressor. I hadn't shot the 2.0s unsuppressed yet and I was like "DAMN SMOKEY, thats LOUD".

ETA - my BCM 11.5 ELW with Saker-K, H-2 & 3x was hitting steel out to 350 yesterday. Some misses as I figured out the holdover but after that, not hard to ring the steel at that range and in. 100/200 are stoopid easy, but beyond 300 the drop really increases quickly.
    Last edited by RHINOWSO; 02-10-20 at 07:57.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I agree with the Covert Comp recommendation, but I get a flashbulb/strobe at every shot with mine on a 11.3" barrel. I am confident it reduces the effect, but it does not eliminate or minimize flash on the short barrel.

I have zero interest in shooting the pistol with any other flash hider or comp though.

Andy
    Finally got the chance to take the 11.5" upper with the Covert Comp out for a test drive. Almost zero side blast. However, the fireball was larger than what I previously experienced, about the size of a Nerf football. The weather today was heavy overcast. Still, I'm very satisfied with its performance and, short of a suppressor, is currently my favorite muzzle device for short barrels.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast