Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Guys, thanks for all the educated replies. I'm sure this thread will be helpful in the future for others looking for the same answers.

I decided to shelve the idea at this time. I'm moving forward with my 16" Sionics LW, but I've ordered a Gen 5 G19 MOS and an RMR and intend that to fill the role of extreme portability with more accuracy potential.
    In my opinion, the 16" LW will be more suitable for the General Purpose AR role than the shorter barreled guns.

Andy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Finally got the chance to take the 11.5" upper with the Covert Comp out for a test drive. Almost zero side blast. However, the fireball was larger than what I previously experienced, about the size of a Nerf football. The weather today was heavy overcast. Still, I'm very satisfied with its performance and, short of a suppressor, is currently my favorite muzzle device for short barrels.
    A lot of that can be ammo dependent too. I found a few mags of Gold Dots in the bottom of an old range bag the other day and decided to run them. It was pretty gray and gloomy here and the fireball from the Gold Dots was far less than the PMC Bronze and other run of the mill cheap FMJ's that I ran through the gun. That was out of my 11.5" 6933 with Covert Comp.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've heard really good things about the newer Federal 'low flash' SBR ammunition of out their law enforcement line too. Lower flash ammunition is something to seriously consider in anything other than recreational shooting or general blasting IMHO.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For a truck/vehicle gun, really don't understand the pistol AR stuff.

If you have room for a 11" barrel pistol AR you have room for a 14.5" LW carbine with pinned hider.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    For a truck/vehicle gun, really don't understand the pistol AR stuff.

If you have room for a 11" barrel pistol AR you have room for a 14.5" LW carbine with pinned hider.
    I half agree with this.
    1. I dont find 11.5 to be a great deal more concussive than 14.5, but a little.
    2. The biggest benefit if a short barrel is having it silenced with the same aol (IMO)
    3. I wouldnt keep nfa stuff in my car

I think the idea of a truck gun, outside of rural or other situations where you will actually use it, is misguided, unless you are decent (50yds com on demand, b-class uspsa level at least). You are much mire likely to need a pistol, and more likely to have one when needed.

I know this is a bit of a tangent, and maybe not applicable to the op, but I see a trend if guys buying dedicated truck guns, when they shoot the truck gun, and a pistol like shit. Thats not being “prepared”.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I half agree with this.
    1. I dont find 11.5 to be a great deal more concussive than 14.5, but a little.
    2. The biggest benefit if a short barrel is having it silenced with the same aol (IMO)
    3. I wouldnt keep nfa stuff in my car

I think the idea of a truck gun, outside of rural or other situations where you will actually use it, is misguided, unless you are decent (50yds com on demand, b-class uspsa level at least). You are much mire likely to need a pistol, and more likely to have one when needed.

I know this is a bit of a tangent, and maybe not applicable to the op, but I see a trend if guys buying dedicated truck guns, when they shoot the truck gun, and a pistol like shit. Thats not being “prepared”.
    I think Mega brings up some fantastic thinking points in this post.

Most of us have our carry guns on us at all times when out of the house, and for the non LEO or super secret operators, that will need to be enough. The only time I personally have an AR pistol or my Tavor in transit with me is when I'm traveling, or if I am working by myself at my store. Then it comes in with me when I get there.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whether you have a Mini-Uzi SMG or a flintlock, if you don't know how to use it, what good is it? Many AR-15 owners can't hit a man-sized silhouette at a 100 yards taped to a target frame, much less one out in the open at an unknown range that may be gently swaying in the wind.

A 9mm handgun that can be used effectively is better than an ear drum bursting SBR that can't.

That being said, in a pickup or side-by-side, I don't see myself carrying less than a 16" model with the 18" rifle being my current 'darling' for out and about. Inside a tractor or car, a handgun first with an SBR accessible in the back seat or trunk is probably best for maneuverability and portability though, something like an AUG/Tavor has merit too.

Suppressed, an 11.5"/12.5" upper works well for overall length and balance. When put on a 16" rifle, some lightweight cans aren't too bad though, the heavier ones get awful front (or nose) heave quickly. 18" and 20", why if your not 'position' shooting?
    Last edited by Sid Post; 03-13-20 at 07:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My Mk18 pistol fits nicely in a discreet backpack in the backseat floorboards. 90% of the time, I've got my carry gun on me and would be my initial weapon if the need arose. The Mk18 is if things escalate, along with the cheap/slim PC I keep in my vehicle. They'll probably never get used, except for training with them or taking a pot shot at a coyote or something, but if I ever need them, things have probably gone bad enough that a pistol wouldn't be enough.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Whether you have a Mini-Uzi SMG or a flintlock, if you don't know how to use it, what good is it? Many AR-15 owners can't hit a man-sized silhouette at a 100 yards taped to a target frame, much less one out in the open at an unknown range that may be gently swaying in the wind.

A 9mm handgun that can be used effectively is better than an ear drum bursting SBR that can't.

~ SNIP
    I guarantee I can engage that 100m target more effectively with a brace equipped AR pistol than my G 19, even if the AR is a 9 mm with iron sights. To be honest though, for me it's academic. The shooting will be close, fast, and and involve my 9mm or 380 (worst case) if I needed to defend myself. The odds of it happening to me are slightly less remote than being hit by a meteorite.

I have an AR pistol because it's short, light, and fun to shoot.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    A lot of that can be ammo dependent too...
    I've noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    ...If you have room for a 11" barrel pistol AR you have room for a 14.5" LW carbine with pinned hider.
    Or better still, an 11.5" AR pistol with a suppressor.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 03-13-20 at 19:19.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast