Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Excellent thread, OP.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I guarantee I can engage that 100m target more effectively with a brace equipped AR pistol than my G 19, even if the AR is a 9 mm with iron sights. To be honest though, for me it's academic. The shooting will be close, fast, and and involve my 9mm or 380 (worst case) if I needed to defend myself. The odds of it happening to me are slightly less remote than being hit by a meteorite.

I have an AR pistol because it's short, light, and fun to shoot.

Andy
    I get your point but, to be honest if I'm going to put up with the weight and bulk for a 100 yard shot, a 9mm AR pistol is about the last thing I personally want. A 5" 9mm handgun is so much more convenient and handy, I'm more likely to have it IF I ever need it.

In terms of needing something to defend myself, the thought of having a legitimate need for a 100 yard 'quick' shot is low enough I'm not going to stress about it. A 16" rifle caliber in the trunk or back seat is hugely more practical if someone needs to take a 100 yard shot. In a 'car jacking' type situation, whether your AR pistol is under the seat, in the trunk or, on the back seat your best bet is going to be defensive driving and an accessible handgun on your person or in you immediate reach. Personally, if car based, I'm driving out of danger first if I can.

Now, a pot shot at a feral hog, coyote, etc., that's rifle territory for me. An aggressive pet attacking me is handgun territory since as you say, is generally close and fast and will be what I most likely have on me when the need arises and I have little time to react. And yes, a group of 3 or 4 "PETs" of the Labrador size will really get the pucker factor up there and your heart beat at maximum level in a fraction of a second, especially when two are confronting you and the third and/or fourth circle behind you! That's not a defensive drill I ever want to repeat and nor the potential for a serious mauling (we have had cattle killed by "PETs" so there was a bit of blood lust in the neighbors 'pack').

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Or better still, an 11.5" AR pistol with a suppressor.
    This is what I’ve thought. The upper done (thanks BRT). Just waiting on the tax stamp to come back.

Feedback Score
    The 5.56 vs 300BO is always a great debate. I've had 5.56 for a number of years, but I think I'm going to switch over to 300BO. Mainly because I'm looking to thin the safe. This would be for self-defense and secondary hunting rifle. Virginia requires 30 caliber or larger for hunting, so that is part of my thought of making the switch. I'm in the process of selling my SR556 and then look forward to starting a 300BO AR Pistol build.

Feedback Score

Suppressor Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Yeah I agree. My BCM 11.5 is a very soft shooter, even when suppressed, and has been very reliable so far, creeping up on 2K rounds mixed suppressed and unsuppressed.
    I am building a 5.56 SBR very similar to what OP is wanting. I'm unsure which length since I definitely want to run a suppressor full time, which can would you recommend?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWm4 View Post
    I am building a 5.56 SBR very similar to what OP is wanting. I'm unsure which length since I definitely want to run a suppressor full time, which can would you recommend?
    I would honestly go 11.5", with a full size suppressor. To me it's the best balance and performance in an SBR.

Mini cans are sweet, but the possible issues with a mini can and short barrel are not worth it imo.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My 11.5 fluted ELW that initially wore a RD and BUIS, is accurate enough it deserved an LPVO to take advantage of its versatility.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    I would honestly go 11.5", with a full size suppressor. To me it's the best balance and performance in an SBR.

Mini cans are sweet, but the possible issues with a mini can and short barrel are not worth it imo.
    What kind of issues?
    Wouldnt a 12.5 with mini can be the best of both worlds?

I have an 11.5 and mini can. Its “quiet enough”. Id be interested in the sound differences between a 12.5 and mini silencer vs 11.5 and full size, since they are the same length.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-01-20 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWm4 View Post
    With powder erosion, heat, and blast I'd start with one built with Inconel baffles. For brands, I'd look at Silencer Co, Deadair and, Rugged.

On my 11.5" upper, the weight and length of a can is a real turn off because it defeats a lot of the purpose for going so short. YMMV

A blast diverter to send the concussion and some sound down range is where I'm at today. Now a SiCo Omega on a 300BO is a different story.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What kind of issues?
    Wouldnt a 12.5 with mini can be the best of both worlds?

I have an 11.5 and mini can. Its “quiet enough”. Id be interested in the sound differences between a 12.5 and mini silencer vs 11.5 and full size, since they are the same length.
    I would be interested in this as well. I'm a fan of 12.5" barrels as a great "do all" length, and maybe that's long enough for mini's to still give you enough supressor coverage? I do not have any data on that
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast