Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Truck/Ranch/GP Gun - BCM 11.5 or DD 10.3 Pistol?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How short of a barrel would you go? I'm not concerned about 100 yards but I have an older car with very few places to hide anything larger than a pack of cigarettes.

And at what point does caliber not matter. The new Saints with the 5.5 inch barrels. Is that even enough to make 556 effective? I have been looking at the Stribog which is something like 14 inches long without a brace and will a collapsing brace can probably be shoved under the seat

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    How short of a barrel would you go? I'm not concerned about 100 yards but I have an older car with very few places to hide anything larger than a pack of cigarettes.

And at what point does caliber not matter. The new Saints with the 5.5 inch barrels. Is that even enough to make 556 effective? I have been looking at the Stribog which is something like 14 inches long without a brace and will a collapsing brace can probably be shoved under the seat
    Personally I would not go below 10.3" on 556. Anythng under that I think is 300 blackout territory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Personally I would not go below 10.3" on 556. Anythng under that I think is 300 blackout territory.
    This. I shot an 8” barrel and it made my ears ring with muffs. The only benefit I could see is ammo compatibility/price.
    I cant Imagine what a 5.5” 556 would Sound/feel like. Id imagine thats gonna be on the low end of where 300blk makes sense. Maybe someone can post velocities.

My view is that if I need a tiny gun, the pistol works fine. If I cant step up to a rifle, Ill use a pistol... but maybe my opinion in that is irrelevant since Im a nobody.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    This. I shot an 8” barrel and it made my ears ring with muffs. The only benefit I could see is ammo compatibility/price.
    I cant Imagine what a 5.5” 556 would Sound/feel like. Id imagine thats gonna be on the low end of where 300blk makes sense. Maybe someone can post velocities.

My view is that if I need a tiny gun, the pistol works fine. If I cant step up to a rifle, Ill use a pistol... but maybe my opinion in that is irrelevant since Im a nobody.
    I'm not sure I really care about ears ringing.

From one article I read the 5.5 inch barrel produced velocities just below 2k fps.

I generally never cared for vehicle guns. I have my concealed carry and that's always been fine. But with current events, more and more protests, summer approaching I figured I'd keep something "more" in my car. I have an AK SBR but I'm kinda iffy on the laws and I can't actually hide it anywhere. To bring it along every time I'd step out of the vehicle I'd need a serious backpack for the weight of the SBR + mags and ammo.

Where as if I had a braced pistol it gives me a slightly longer barrel and more points of contact. Since I have zero experience with these things I originally thought maybe something like a Masterpiece Arms MPA30 (think micro Uzi or MAC10) but then thought that's probably not worth the move from a G19. Money spent for little to no gain. A 556 would pistol would be great but there's no where to hide one in a 07 4Runner. So the only thing in between was something like the Stribog. Overall around 16 inches with a telescopic brace, under a $G, and fairly light with a couple 30 round stick mags in a backpack

The other reason I wanted to stick with pistol instead of SBR is because if I get stopped anywhere it's still just a pistol
    Last edited by Arik; 05-18-20 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I'm not sure I really care about ears ringing.

From one article I read the 5.5 inch barrel produced velocities just below 2k fps.

I generally never cared for vehicle guns. I have my concealed carry and that's always been fine. But with current events, more and more protests, summer approaching I figured I'd keep something "more" in my car. I have an AK SBR but I'm kinda iffy on the laws and I can't actually hide it anywhere. To bring it along every time I'd step out of the vehicle I'd need a serious backpack for the weight of the SBR + mags and ammo.

Where as if I had a braced pistol it gives me a slightly longer barrel and more points of contact. Since I have zero experience with these things I originally thought maybe something like a Masterpiece Arms MPA30 (think micro Uzi or MAC10) but then thought that's probably not worth the move from a G19. Money spent for little to no gain. A 556 would pistol would be great but there's no where to hide one in a 07 4Runner. So the only thing in between was something like the Stribog. Overall around 16 inches with a telescopic brace, under a $G, and fairly light with a couple 30 round stick mags in a backpack

The other reason I wanted to stick with pistol instead of SBR is because if I get stopped anywhere it's still just a pistol
    I think MegademiC is referring to sidearm pistol not AR pistol. No one is arguing against using a AR pistol just that anything below 10 inches sucks for 556. That is why socom asked AAC to come up with 300 blackout. Just get, or make a 300 blackout AR pistol. If you want it even shorter use a Law Tactical folder with the pistol brace.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    OP here.

Interesting how things have changed since I started this thread at the end of January.

Since then I've sold both of my Sionics 16s and now have a DDM4V7SLW 14.5. On paper the guns shouldn't be very different but to me the DD feels much lighter and handier. I've had it for a few months and really enjoy it. Currently it has DD fixed sights and a T2 in DD's 1/3 mount. I'm pleased with this rifle as my "only one" AR.

However, I still have a nagging that I'll want a second AR, for all sorts of fantastical reasons of course, but as we know it will never be any easier to buy them than it is now and that window closes more each day.

I thought about buying another DD just like the 14.5 that I have now, but also thinking I may enjoy the purchase more if I get something a bit different, potentially the DDM4V7P that I mentioned in the OP.

I have never shot an AR pistol, but my thought is that it would be great to have set up just like my 14.5, and have as something to throw in the truck for trips to the mountains or whatever, and would allow me to have some kind of AR with me when I'm gone while still leaving one AR at home for my wife/boys.

I have found a few in stock for normal prices, but I know stock is low and it's not something I can put off forever. Are my assumptions valid? Would the dollars be well spent going this route or would I be better off to look at something completely different?

As I stated originally, the gun would stay stock other than sights, and I have no plans to do any NFA buying, so no suppressor use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    OP here.

Interesting how things have changed since I started this thread at the end of January.

Since then I've sold both of my Sionics 16s and now have a DDM4V7SLW 14.5. On paper the guns shouldn't be very different but to me the DD feels much lighter and handier. I've had it for a few months and really enjoy it. Currently it has DD fixed sights and a T2 in DD's 1/3 mount. I'm pleased with this rifle as my "only one" AR.

However, I still have a nagging that I'll want a second AR, for all sorts of fantastical reasons of course, but as we know it will never be any easier to buy them than it is now and that window closes more each day.

I thought about buying another DD just like the 14.5 that I have now, but also thinking I may enjoy the purchase more if I get something a bit different, potentially the DDM4V7P that I mentioned in the OP.

I have never shot an AR pistol, but my thought is that it would be great to have set up just like my 14.5, and have as something to throw in the truck for trips to the mountains or whatever, and would allow me to have some kind of AR with me when I'm gone while still leaving one AR at home for my wife/boys.

I have found a few in stock for normal prices, but I know stock is low and it's not something I can put off forever. Are my assumptions valid? Would the dollars be well spent going this route or would I be better off to look at something completely different?

As I stated originally, the gun would stay stock other than sights, and I have no plans to do any NFA buying, so no suppressor use.
    I have truly enjoyed my AR Pistols for travel... 11.5” is the sweet spot... I wanted a DDM4V7P but I prefer a 11.5” so I went with BCM...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    OP here.

The DDM4V7P is an awesome gun (assuming you are talking about the 556 variety and not blackout). Its a modernized MK18 in a pistol form and is rock solid. DD makes excellent rifles and for chrome lined barrels are super accurate. For the use case you have outlined I think it's an excellent option.

Only thought you may want to ponder is are you going to have any long shots (say over 150 yards). If you think your main shooting may live past that point you may want to go with a 11.5 or 12.5. That choice will lead you out of DD lineup but there are other good choices out there in those barrel lengths. At 10.3/10.5 DD is the best option in my opinion.
    Last edited by themonk; 05-19-20 at 11:12.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OP here.

Learning to use 'one rifle' effectively is important. I see many people with a 'gun/firearm' of the day which means that they generally shoot all of them to a lower standard than learning and using just ONE! If you are one of the few people who shoot often enough and train a lot, sure you can effectively use a lot of different firearms but, that isn't practical or realistic for most people. YMMV

Is a Remington 1187 the Ultimate Social Shotgun? Not for most people but, after trying a bunch of different options, it is the one I shoot best! So, my Benelli's and others sit in the safe while my Gunsite 1187 and that awesome Vangcomp barrel is the one I continue to run ~25 years later!

I have run a lot of different AR-15's but, to be honest I consider myself mediocre and generally on the search for something that really 'fits' me and lets me rise to a better level of proficiency. For example, my LWRC Six8 while a great rifle and smacks feral hogs well is a tool I use with reasonable proficiency. For sheer FUN and skill building enjoyment with, my KAC SR-15 Mod 2 LPR is the one that really lets me shine. I can do things with it that I never could with my other AR-15's! It is also the "one rifle" I shoot right now unless I'm doing a night shot on hogs with a thermal scope.

I have found a few in stock for normal prices, but I know the stock is low and it's not something I can put off forever. Are my assumptions valid? Would the dollars be well spent going this route or would I be better off to look at something completely different?
    For a pistol based AR-15, whether super short (~8") or not, a 300BO is the one that makes the most sense to me. Like the 6.8SPC, this is a cartridge that really excels as barrels get shorter. A ~10.5" 5.56 upper to me is simply harsh for anything other than range fun day use! Outside of the 'recreation' factor, for me at least, I am better served with something with a bit more barrel length in 5.56. A quality 300BO will run pretty much the same with an 8" or 16" barrel for most people without special needs because this round lacks the general muzzle blast and noise an SBR AR-15 makes. YMMV

For this type of service, personally, I'd strongly look at an Afgahn (13.7") or similar length barrel with an appropriate muzzle device. I run suppressors so, for me a QD muzzle mount is hard to overlook but, personally I'm thinking a blast diverter (like a Noveske Flaming Pig) might be a good non-NFA option for myself.

Since KAC doesn't offer a 13.7" option, I may go with a 14.5" mod 2 upper with a permanently mounted QD device. This keeps a more effective performance level with 5.56 ammunition and keeps me out of NFA requirements when I want to travel without paperwork. For me a pistol length Afghan doesn't seem logical as even a 16" upper really isn't enough longer to make a REAL DIFFERENCE in terms of transport in my life.

If an AR-15 "pistol" is required in my life, without a doubt it would be 300BO today. If I need to buy ammunition I can buy 300BO pretty easy at retail so, it wins out over other rounds. I hope to demo a Maxim Defense 'pistol' someday in 300BO.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 05-19-20 at 09:58.

Feedback Score
    When I built my first pistol I went with a psa 10.5 barrel, was not sure I would care for the pistol configuration. Well I loved it, I have changed the psa barrel out and replaced with DD 11.5. Now I am happy with the accuracy, so my advice buy DD once and don’t look back. I have a cc and I carry a 45 a pistol, but my 11.5 is always in the truck for the times a pistol may not be ideal and I want to get home, hopefully I never have to put it to the test. On the 11.5 I am confident of 200 yard shots, consistently ring a 8” steel at our range with it. I do run a leupy 1-4 And have 30 years of high power rifle competition experience, and two years of three gun, averaging about 6 thousand+ rounds of practice a year on the various ar platform.so I tend to hold harder than the average shooter. Not a sniper by a long shot, but can hold my own. Key to any weapon to be used for self defense is practice practice, no gimmick will up your hits, just good solid practice with a solid position. Main reason I recommend Highpower competition is you will learn to build a solid position, good sight alignment, trigger control and which All becomes second nature and you do not even think about what you are doing. I.e. muscle memory actual works. Just my two cents and sorry for the rant.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast