Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Responder Training Beyond What Red Cross Offers

Feedback Score
    I've taken three different classes over the years and the best in my opinion of those was Dark Angel.
    Kerry the instructor takes his time and explains things so it's easy to comprehend.

I'm from everywhere man because I'm an everywhere man....
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    So get some real actual training. These are perishable skills. No place for "hobbyists". Take it seriously or don't do it. THAT is the point.
    For cryin' out loud....THAT IS my point! You don't have to take college level courses to develop the skills. You have to attend the proper and well taught classes and that is what the point of this thread is. I don't think someone's life in your hands is a hobby. If I can do something to help someone when the situation calls for it... besides stand around with my d**K in my hand ... then I want to do that.

BTW, I didn't get there in time to see it, but an inmate a couple of weeks ago had a sucking chest wound. And it wasn't the first one that happened where I am. So it's not like a sucking chest wound is the samsquanch of the trauma world.
    Repression Is Nine Tenths The Law

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    How close are you to Covington? I know they have done Stop the Bleed, and I believe it's free (when I teach it, I charge, but I add a few other trauma components).

Edited to add, the only way to fix trauma is with surgery. The only things you can do to stabilize is MARCH and give blood; you ain't gonna give blood. TQ the limb, direct pressure and cover everything else, keep the person warm, and wait for transport.
    It's about 5-6 hours to Covington. I know in order to take a good class that I'm going to have to travel a little bit away. I'm kinda in that black hole just beyond BFE.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So get some real actual training. These are perishable skills. No place for "hobbyists". Take it seriously or don't do it. THAT is the point.
    My experience with EMT's who prefer to drive rather than treat is that their EMT skills, from the time of passing their final test, seem to last about a year, less if they were dumb to begin with. Even with continuing education, a lack of hands on patient care above a "first responder" level isn't likely to stick with you for very long. CPR & "stop the bleed" are probably all that the average person really needs. Before I became involved with EMS I heard a paramedic say that they weren't much good without their tools, and it sounded kind of foolish. Now I understand.

Follow instructions in post #19 (I don't know how to reply with quote from two posts)
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    That’s what he’s asking for? Some are contributing by providing links to training. Are you implying those links are to a substandard training? Do you have information on “real” training and just not providing it? Should he go to medical school? Do you carry a gun for a living? Have you ever taken firearms training? Do you have anything helpful to direct someone to the right path? Asking for a friend...
    Nah. He's looking to do a weekend course for hobbyists. A couple of days of didactic-only that will teach him how to diagnose and treat sucking chest wounds and tension pneumothorax.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Are you implying those links are to a substandard training? Do you have information on “real” training and just not providing it?
    Should he go to medical school? Do you carry a gun for a living? Have you ever taken firearms training? Do you have anything helpful to direct someone to the right path? Asking for a friend...
    Yes. Substandard. Teaching potentially important skills to dilettantes.

If he wants to treat gunshot wounds in the field, he should become an EMT.

No, I don't carry a gun for a living but I'll bet I do more firearms training...pistol and carbine...than the VAST majority of cops. And I keep doing it. Two - four times per year. Carrying a gun, or treating sucking chest wounds, is serious business. I take both skill sets very seriously,

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

First Responder Training Beyond What Red Cross Offers

If he wants to treat gunshot wounds in the field, he should become an EMT.

No, I don't carry a gun for a living but I'll bet I do more firearms training...pistol and carbine...than the VAST majority of cops. And I keep doing it. Two - four times per year. Carrying a gun, or treating sucking chest wounds, is serious business. I take both skill sets very seriously,
    You’re right, they are both serious business. Apparently no one but you takes it seriously. Just realize this, the OP and probably much of the general public are more likely to encounter major trauma than you are to need to use a firearm in a life or death situation. I mean, I’m sure you as a medical professional know that things other than bullets can puncture someone’s chest. OP, check out the links and get training to be a better prepared individual. Hmac will only talk down to you and not offer anything of value to you because he’s a surgeon and you’re not.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 01-31-20 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Originally Posted by Hmac
    "No, I don't carry a gun for a living but I'll bet I do more firearms training...pistol and carbine...than the VAST majority of cops. And I keep doing it. Two - four times per year. Carrying a gun, or treating sucking chest wounds, is serious business. I take both skill sets very seriously,"

Sound like your firearms training is more of someone who is a dilettante.

Maybe you should pay more attention to the thread and the reasons I wanted to learn something. I don't expect to learn it all in a weekend like you apparently have. Instead of being a smartass, why not contribute something worth while?
    Last edited by teufelhund1918; 01-31-20 at 11:43.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If he wants to treat gunshot wounds in the field, he should become an EMT...
    I guess we can look at the meaning of treat. When in the field and I treat an extremity injury that's gushing blood, using a tourniquet (just one example), I would strongly argue that advanced training isn't required. Clearly, such treatment isn't definitive, but if it gets the patient to the next echelon of care, it's a win in my book. I don't think anyone was suggesting a roadside thoracotomy.
    Last edited by Eric; 02-04-20 at 15:46.

Feedback Score
    I recommend starting with Stop the Bleed and getting CPR certified. I used to teach a basic tac med class for my department. Stop the Bleed basically mirrored what we taught and it's meant for everyone. Knowing CPR never hurts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast