Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 grendel

Feedback Score

6.5 grendel

Is the 6.5 grendel still relevant? A few yrs back I bought some bulk 6.5g ammo (during the stupid ammo shortage) thinking I want to shoot another caliber other than a 223/556.

Maybe to shoot further out. But wasnt sure what exactly at that time. Well I haven't bought a 6.5g rifle. I was looking for a piston driven version (just cause). But never got around to it.

Since I got the ammo (wolf), I'm thinking of getting a upper.

Some say get 6.5 creedmore or the 224 valkyrie. Better ballistic. But they are expensive. Whereas the 6.5g is attainable to shot for fun and long distance.

But after being out for 20yrs or almost, it didnt seem to catch on as much.

This article talks about that 6.5g still matters.
    https://gundigest.com/rifles/hunting...-a-6-5-grendel

What are your thoughts. Are u guys invested in this ammo? Will it be around for many more yrs to come?
    To bad military didnt adopt it. Or at least a part of the military didnt.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it is, but I'm biased since I own both LaRue and Aero Precision uppers chambered in 6.5 Grendel. The appeal to me is near 308 performance but out of an AR15 platform. I hog hunt quite a bit, and I switched to 6.5 Grendel for that reason. I've dropped hogs with 5.56 but always with shots under 100 yards, with neck shots, and in the open. With the Grendel I can shoot hogs without having to wait for those criteria to be met. I also use it for deer hunting which I would never do with 5.56.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think it is too. Obviously I'm biased too since I just recently got into it. But honestly, I'm totally NOT a "boutique caliber" person. Normally I'm boringly conventional for what I think are good reasons, I stick to main calibers you can acquire at low prices due to wide availability and mass production by multiple companies: .22lr, 9mm, .45 acp (prob getting out of this soon), .308 (may get out of this soon too, but I still love .308), 5.56, 6.5 Creedmoor.

I got into 6.5G because it met a specific need in my case:
    * Shoots in a standard 5.56-sized AR lower (thus avoiding the cost, complexity, and non-standard nature of the AR-10/7.62 AR platform)
    * Gives increased lethality and "accuracy at distance" over a 5.56 AR. Without much recoil penalty.
    * Is hunting legal in my state for midsize game.

There was really nothing better that fit all the above at the same time than 6.5G. .300BLK was a candidate, but doesn't have the range compared to 6.5G. Various other AR wildcats are ok if you're into reloading, but I got out of reloading several years ago, living in a smaller place, and really don't have time for it anymore. I only shoot factory ammo now, and 6.5G you can find quality factory ammo at about the price per round of quality 5.56 ammo.

My thought before you buy one: don't get one just because the concept sounds cool, or any of my above needs sound good to you. If it's not something you'll actually use, I'd skip it and not bother buying it. From what I've read and seen, most guys get these boutique calibers just because they sound cool in principle, then they say that they sit in their safe and rarely get used. "Ammo or componenets are too expensive." "Don't like the extra recoil." "Can't take advantage of the extended range capabilities at my 300-yard shooting range anyway." Etc. Basically: get one ONLY if you have a real-world use for it, now.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One more thing: I don't see 6.5G 'going away' any time soon. I looked into that quite a lot before I decided to invest in this caliber. I think it is actually GROWING in momentum and adoption--but slowly, not so fast as say 6.5 CM or .300BLK have grown. But I don't think 6.5G is going to go away, simply because a LOT of folks have those same needs and interests I listed in my previous post, and 6.5G truly addresses those better than most if not all competing calibers in a standard AR lower. That reality is going to drive its continued adoption. It's hard to predict the future, but I think it'll still be around and thriving 10 years from now, otherwise I wouldn't have bought in. One really, really great sign that it's growing: you see more ammunition makers from different companies offering new 6.5G factory loads for it. They aren't gonna do that for something they think is a dead end.

Feedback Score
    Good points. I personally not into boutique ammo. First they are expensive and not available in a lot of places.
    I hope grendel becomes even more mainstream. I'll think about it. I'm in no rush to get 1 atm.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Never shot the 6.5 Gren. .224 valkery didn't do anything exciting.

I'm not sure what "long distance" is for you or your range availability. But we'll run 62 gr HPBT to 750 yards with the ACOG, and guys here have reported shooting that bullet to 1000 yards.

In bolt gun, we've run 77 gr to 1000 yards and beyond. My point being that a lot of guys underestimate how far out the .223 can reach.

That said, getting an upper in 6.5 gren is WAY cheaper than buying an AR10 in 6.5 cm. If you already have the ammo, I'd go with the upper plan.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Never shot the 6.5 Gren. .224 valkery didn't do anything exciting.

I'm not sure what "long distance" is for you or your range availability. But we'll run 62 gr HPBT to 750 yards with the ACOG, and guys here have reported shooting that bullet to 1000 yards.

In bolt gun, we've run 77 gr to 1000 yards and beyond. My point being that a lot of guys underestimate how far out the .223 can reach.

That said, getting an upper in 6.5 gren is WAY cheaper than buying an AR10 in 6.5 cm. If you already have the ammo, I'd go with the upper plan.
    You may be able to stretch out to 1,000yds with some 5.56/.223 rounds, but those loads won't have the velocity and energy at 1,000 that 6.5 Grendel does.

I would never take a shot on a pig at over 300 yds with 5.56, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to shoot a hog - or a deer - out to 600 yards with the Grendel.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    6.5 Grendel has a lot going for it as a sport and hobby cartridge, and a couple of things as a military or police cartridge. It is halfway in diameter and mass between 5.56 and 7.62 (77gr and 175gr), and is one of 3 or 4 “alternative” chamberings that remain relevant. I’ll not be getting rid of my 5.56 guns (I’m even assembling more), but the Grendel is the only alternative chambering I mess with, and I arrived there with a lot of careful consideration.

1) it is surprisingly efficient in short barrels. Mine is a 12.5”. LRRPF52, our resident Grendel nerd, also likes the 12.5”. I live in the Southeast, and my Grendel is meant to replace my levergun. Of course, if you are into 18” barrels, that’s fine, too, but it would be worth looking into a Creedmoor at that point.

2) it provides more projectile mass without too much more recoil. This could be useful for defeating barriers, and some might argue that it increases lethality, though I won’t.

3) it is legal (and suitable) for whacking deer. Kinda reminds me of a modern 30-30. Also reminds me of 7.62x39, in that it launches similar weight projectiles at similar velocities, but with MUCH better BC.

4) it does a good job of launching bullets that are heavy for caliber (see #1) with a decent BC at a modest velocity, with mild recoil. This makes it a good target round, because it bucks wind well. It also would make a good designated marksman round, as long as the user can get a good range estimate, which is easier to read than wind. In fact, it follows a similar arc to .308.

5) logistically, the Wolf ammo makes it an affordable chambering for the “one gun” guy, and it fits in a regular AR with just 3 parts away from commonality. Outside of Wolf, most ammo you find on the shelf is meant for decent precision, and that’s cool too.

But why not a Grendel?

6) it does not shoot as flat as 5.56. So past like 300yds, you have to be able to guesstimate range. However, see #4 and #8. Not really an issue for most, and those that are shooting long range, ought to be skilled enough to make good use of it.

7) it is less available than 5.56, .308, 30-06, etc. I don’t think I would choose it as my only rifle. And without mass military adoption, it could always disappear. Then again, 7-08 is still around, for pretty much the same reasons the Grendel is.

8) if you hunt somewhere with longer shots, the modest starting velocity may limit your range, or at least cause you to think a little harder about projectile selection. I believe that a impact velocity of >2200fps is desirable for big game, and that limits me to about 100yds with 120gr projectiles. If we reduce that to 2000fps, it gets me ~150yds. This may not be important to you, and if we handload, we can choose lighter projectiles for more velocity, and still have an OK BC. For humans or paper, none of this matters.

9) bolt face is hogged out, and max pressure is limited.

10) it cannot replace 5.56 because of 5.56’s strengths, particularly in its native weapon. It is also not a larger 6.5-7.62mm cartridge. So, even though its in a not-too-hot/not-too-cold space, its also neither fish nor fowl. Its like being in the “friend zone” with a woman.

Can’t wait to get my 6.5 can out of purgatory.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    6.5 Grendel has a lot going for it as a sport and hobby cartridge, and a couple of things as a military or police cartridge. It is halfway in diameter and mass between 5.56 and 7.62 (77gr and 175gr), and is one of 3 or 4 “alternative” chamberings that remain relevant. I’ll not be getting rid of my 5.56 guns (I’m even assembling more), but the Grendel is the only alternative chambering I mess with, and I arrived there with a lot of careful consideration.

1) it is surprisingly efficient in short barrels. Mine is a 12.5”. LRRPF52, our resident Grendel nerd, also likes the 12.5”. I live in the Southeast, and my Grendel is meant to replace my levergun. Of course, if you are into 18” barrels, that’s fine, too, but it would be worth looking into a Creedmoor at that point.

2) it provides more projectile mass without too much more recoil. This could be useful for defeating barriers, and some might argue that it increases lethality, though I won’t.

3) it is legal (and suitable) for whacking deer. Kinda reminds me of a modern 30-30. Also reminds me of 7.62x39, in that it launches similar weight projectiles at similar velocities, but with MUCH better BC.

4) it does a good job of launching bullets that are heavy for caliber (see #1) with a decent BC at a modest velocity, with mild recoil. This makes it a good target round, because it bucks wind well. It also would make a good designated marksman round, as long as the user can get a good range estimate, which is easier to read than wind. In fact, it follows a similar arc to .308.

5) logistically, the Wolf ammo makes it an affordable chambering for the “one gun” guy, and it fits in a regular AR with just 3 parts away from commonality. Outside of Wolf, most ammo you find on the shelf is meant for decent precision, and that’s cool too.

But why not a Grendel?

6) it does not shoot as flat as 5.56. So past like 300yds, you have to be able to guesstimate range. However, see #4 and #8. Not really an issue for most, and those that are shooting long range, ought to be skilled enough to make good use of it.

7) it is less available than 5.56, .308, 30-06, etc. I don’t think I would choose it as my only rifle. And without mass military adoption, it could always disappear. Then again, 7-08 is still around, for pretty much the same reasons the Grendel is.

8) if you hunt somewhere with longer shots, the modest starting velocity may limit your range, or at least cause you to think a little harder about projectile selection. I believe that a impact velocity of >2200fps is desirable for big game, and that limits me to about 100yds with 120gr projectiles. If we reduce that to 2000fps, it gets me ~150yds. This may not be important to you, and if we handload, we can choose lighter projectiles for more velocity, and still have an OK BC. For humans or paper, none of this matters.

9) bolt face is hogged out, and max pressure is limited.

10) it cannot replace 5.56 because of 5.56’s strengths, particularly in its native weapon. It is also not a larger 6.5-7.62mm cartridge. So, even though its in a not-too-hot/not-too-cold space, its also neither fish nor fowl. Its like being in the “friend zone” with a woman.

Can’t wait to get my 6.5 can out of purgatory.
    I didnt it's pretty good with short barrels. That's good to know

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHill View Post
    You may be able to stretch out to 1,000yds with some 5.56/.223 rounds, but those loads won't have the velocity and energy at 1,000 that 6.5 Grendel does.

I would never take a shot on a pig at over 300 yds with 5.56, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to shoot a hog - or a deer - out to 600 yards with the Grendel.
    Since he was talking about steel cased ammo, I didn't gather that he was considering hunting. I'd never shoot a dear at any distance with a .223. I don't know about hog hunting at all.

But I agree that you'd match the caliber to the job. All of my shooting is target oriented, so the challenge of stretching a round to its predictable hit limits is my enjoyment.

(Nice summation of the platform, 1168)
    Last edited by markm; 01-30-20 at 17:55.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast