Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamins for Chronic Muscle Pain/Tension

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I was plagued with similar symptoms of unknown origin. I quit going to the doctor, quit all meds and supplements. Tried to relax my mind and focus in on my interests. In time everything went away. It was a big mystery.

Best wishes with whatever it is.

Interesting. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    My partner spent a week in the French Alps and at the hotel he was at the yoga teacher was great looking so he took the classes, which opened his eyes to the pain relief. But he said it was so boring, he would break concentration and look at the women.

So in an after class encounter he told the teacher it was boring, that is when she told him about DDP yoga. He bought some DVD's and loves it not boring at all. Go to their web check it out they have some great success stories. I don't know you income level, but if I remember correctly they both DVD and streaming options.

Give it a month, in the privacy of your own home.

I have a TRacy Rich video somewhere, but I video taped it to my phone so it travels with me, along with my body weight suspension straps. So I can work out every where I travel, if the hotel has a good gym I also go there to lift weights and run and a tread mill.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Along the lines of Yoga recommendations; I've been a TaiChi (Taiji)/"soft form" WuShu guy for a couple decades.
    The years of physical abuse takes it's toll.
    The Taiji in particular, helps me stay in the game.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Find a good chiropractor. I was having the same issues with severe neck pain and since I avoid meds, even OTC, that was not an option. I went to a recommended chiropractor who x-rayed me on the first visit. After looking at the results he asked "how long was the car wreck?" and "you got hit on the passenger side, right? ". He was correct, and the wreck was about 8 years ago. I walked away from it with just some soreness but it actually kinked my neck to where over several years it got worse and worse. After several months of therapy the pain went away and now I just go in occasionally when I feel like I need an adjustment.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I write the following post with the disclaimer that I do not intend to ignite an argument or offend anyone. This is my own humble opinion as a "young" physician who currently treats acute and chronic pain.

I'm sure that there are some chiropractors on the forum. However, I cannot, with good conscious, recommend a chiro for someone with neck pain. In my opinion, manipulation of the cervical spine by a chiro is risky. There are case reports, and other studies, of cervical spine manipulation resulting in vertebral artery dissection. These incidences have even occurred in young and healthy patients without significant past medical histories. These dissections have resulted in infarcts (i.e. "dead" tissue; commonly referred to as a "stroke") of the brain. I am well aware that all "medical" procedures come with a risk. Please be aware that chiros are not MDs (medical doctors). Obviously, the importance of a title such as "MD" to individuals will vary. Please keep in mind that MDs go through rigorous education and training that is founded upon evidence based medicine (i.e. methods that are backed by empirical science). Unfortunately, despite what some may think, chiros do not go through the same training. I know that Hmac and others on this forum can attest to the rigors of allopathic (and osteopathic) medical training.

I do think that chiros do offer valuable treatments. However, I am of the opinion, at least at this point in my training, that they should be limited to the thoracic and lumbar spine.

All of that being said, my opinion is subject to change as I continue my academic endeavors, and pursue my personal and professional interests in chronic pain management.

Case reports and studies on chiropractic manipulation resulting in neurological deficits, etc.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1297923/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7783892
    https://europepmc.org/article/med/11239271
    https://mdedge-files-live.s3.us-east...lation-a-c.pdf
    Last edited by scooter22; 02-01-20 at 05:51. Reason: things and stuff

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Big fan of “Dr. Berg” videos on YouTube.

I found I was taking wrong types of magnesium and potassium. I find magnesium glycinate or malate work best for me in smaller doses throughout day.

Stress, like from chronic pain causes your body to deplete certain nutrients. Caffeine, like the multiple cups of coffee I would drink a day only compounded the problem.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
    I write the following post with the disclaimer that I do not intend to ignite an argument or offend anyone. This is my own humble opinion as a "young" physician who currently treats acute and chronic pain.

I'm sure that there are some chiropractors on the forum. However, I cannot, with good conscious, recommend a chiro for someone with neck pain. In my opinion, manipulation of the cervical spine by a chiro is risky. There are case reports, and other studies, of cervical spine manipulation resulting in vertebral artery dissection. These incidences have even occurred in young and healthy patients without significant past medical histories. These dissections have resulted in infarcts (i.e. "dead" tissue; commonly referred to as a "stroke") of the brain. I am well aware that all "medical" procedures come with a risk. Please be aware that chiros are not MDs (medical doctors). Obviously, the importance of a title such as "MD" to individuals will vary. Please keep in mind that MDs go through rigorous education and training that is founded upon evidence based medicine (i.e. methods that are backed by empirical science). Unfortunately, despite what some may think, chiros do not go through the same training. I know that Hmac and others on this forum can attest to the rigors of allopathic (and osteopathic) medical training.

I do think that chiros do offer valuable treatments. However, I am of the opinion, at least at this point in my training, that they should be limited to the thoracic and lumbar spine.

All of that being said, my opinion is subject to change as I continue my academic endeavors, and pursue my personal and professional interests in chronic pain management.

Case reports and studies on chiropractic manipulation resulting in neurological deficits, etc.:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1297923/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7783892
    https://europepmc.org/article/med/11239271
    https://mdedge-files-live.s3.us-east...lation-a-c.pdf
    I’ve actually a referred patients to chiropractors occasionally, but only patients with an actual diagnosis, and only patients who had minor musculoskeletal complaints and would likely be susceptible to a huckster-type approach to manipulative treatment.

Feedback Score
    Great info!! Thanks so much. I will check it all out.

All pain seems to be with my trapezius muscle and occipital muscles. But even my providers argue as to whether my pain is muscular or joint related. My neck did not improve with chiro--but my trap between my spine and right shoulder has been killing me after a few adjustments--it aches all the time, super tight, and movement is limited. It's funny: would love to only have the neck pain again. Guess it can always get worse. #Grateful

Feedback Score
    From what I've read and experimented with myself, keto does wonders with CNS related issues related to my back and neck (car accident & compacted hip from jumping off of things). I, unfortunately, went most of my life with an undiagnosed liver disease and when I went for a check-up, the combination of Keto and my liver raised red flags to the point where my Dr called me at work and told me to get in her office immediately. I've gone down the chiro route before when I was lifting in an environment that would be considered elite, but given the nature of the business and how most chiropractors that I've come across strike me as witch-doctors, I avoid them like the plague now.

Given the constituents of this forum and the relatively short amount of time that its been studied, have you ever considered using a topical CBD supplement? I wouldn't bring it here unless I had personal experience but I use it on my knee (torn meniscus) and hip and the pain relief that accompanies it has been a revelation. That and a healthy amount of weight lifting, yoga, and an unhealthy relationship with a lacrosse ball, I'll never be at my peak strength again but I feel pretty good.

Feedback Score
    I have a little hope and have my next step for testing to find the cause of my muscle pain....

One of my medications I am on has a case study of it causing "signs of neck stiffness, jaw muscle tightness, and left TMJ subluxation" It states: "Medication-induced focal dystonias usually present with dramatic head (most frequently oral-buccal) and neck muscle spasm with occasional jaw clenching, bruxism, and TMJ syndrome."

I am also irritated because I researched the side effects of my medication and muscle tension was super rare--it was also dismissed as the cause by my PCP. Only way to know is to test. The jaw clenching I have had since I have been on it. It will take a few weeks to taper off of it. But the case study states that the muscle pain went away for the patient after reducing the dosage.

Praying that after 13 months of pain, this will be the beginning of the end of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast