Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping my 16 year old driver as prepared as possible...

Feedback Score

Keeping my 16 year old driver as prepared as possible...

My first born son just got his license. He is ready to drive away from this nest anytime he has permission. What prep and planning would you recommend? Right now, I am looking for a good app for his phone. I also:

Put cash in the car.
    Showed him all the docs he needs.
    Knows where the glass breaker and seat belt cutter is.
    Gave him a credit card for gas.
    OC Spray in the door.
    First aid kit plus tourniquets.

Now if I could just get him to wear a coat! Apparently, that is just not cool. He ignores my "it's winter, be prepared" speeches. I guess blankets...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Congratulations to your son on earning his license! I remember that being an exciting time in my life, and it sounds like he has great, responsible parents who are already equipping him well.

Over the years, I've learned some lessons through experience (being up the creek without the paddle, so to speak) as to what the minimum kit list in my vehicle should be at any given point in time.

Depending on the climate/environment/vehicle, I'd bring the following "hardware" at a minimum:

Snacks (low glycemic index protein/energy bars that will keep you from feeling hungry, and in a few favorite flavors to cheer you up) 1-2L of water, changed as needed.
    Instant coffee, or tea/caffeinated product.
    Multi Tool - I really like the SOG EODs, and they can be found secondhand for relatively cheap.
    Headlamp, Chemlights (at least 3 or 4), Flashlight that you can stand on its end (I like used Streamlight Sidewinders), extra batteries.
    Wool banket (either one or two), a Space blanket, and a general tarp (or combine the two!)
    If in an area with snow, I keep a shovel in the car(either an e-tool or an avalanche shovel, depending on the season).
    A good book (you might be there a while, and some newer vehicles' batteries will die quickly if operating without the engine running).
    A phone charger correct for your device, which plugs into your vehicle's cigarette-lighter.

A nondescript bag to hold/conceal the equipment which is relatively easily accessible (this is vehicle dependent).

You might be able to find this in a AAA kit as well, but worth having generally:
    A pair of quality jumper cables, and instructions from the manufacturer on how to use them.
    3 or more road flares.
    A whistle.
    A pair of work gloves.
    A notebook, pen and pencils (more than one).
    A Tire Pressure Gauge.

The "software" (at a minimum):

Training in how to change a tire.
    Training in how to jump start a car without screwing it up.
    Training in roadside awareness.
    Training in basic understanding of how cellular phones work, and how to hail/alert people and ask them for help nicely if the magical screen suddenly stops working.
    A positive mental attitude, and a determined, patient, problem-solving mindset.

Hope this helps! (I wouldn't worry about him not wearing a coat, the "coolness" factor wears off when you are cold and miserable enough for extended periods of time.)
    Last edited by Leftie; 01-30-20 at 17:06.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Have you gone through general vehicle maintenance with him? If for any reason just to help identify if there is an issue
    Like a low tire (how to fill it up and check tire pressures) (where correct tire pressure can be found; on sticker inside driver door side)
    How to change a flat tire (maybe put a better quality jack in there than what comes with the car)
    If wind shield wipers are streakey; how to change them
    How to fill windshield washer fluid tank
    How to check oil (change oil)
    How to jump start the car (are a pair of jumper cables in there?)
    Tow straps (does he know where to hook it up if pulling or being pulled?, don’t want to rip a bumper off)
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Great stuff! Thanks so much for taking the time to post.

I'm going to print, go over with him, and make more improvements.

We have work to do...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Life 360 app for the phone is what we're using for a phone app. We chose this one based on the recommendation of many other school parents that have older kids than ours and have been in a similar situation of wanting visibility of their kids location. We're using the free version but there are more fetures that can be paid for if you choose.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    OP’ location is Ohio. Are snow chains available and the knowledge on when, where and how to put them on?
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I feel for you OP, my daughter turns 15 in a month so GA learners permit in her future. I'm planning on (w/ 6 months experience), trying out the BMW/Tire Rack street smarts course given across the US for her. It's about $100 and everyone in my neighborhood raves about what they teach in your own vehicle.

I think some instruction on what to do when pulled over by the police is critical these days for young people. A NJ state trooper wrote a great book about it, given to me when I learned to drive 20+ years ago. Nerves make otherwise calm collected people do stupid things in the eyes of the officer pulling you over. Keeping the officer happy and confident they aren't in danger can mean the difference between shooting the breeze about the car you're driving and getting shot because of misconstrued movements/behavior.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    this....
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Have you gone through general vehicle maintenance with him? If for any reason just to help identify if there is an issue
    Like a low tire (how to fill it up and check tire pressures) (where correct tire pressure can be found; on sticker inside driver door side)
    How to change a flat tire (maybe put a better quality jack in there than what comes with the car)
    If wind shield wipers are streakey; how to change them
    How to fill windshield washer fluid tank
    How to check oil (change oil)
    How to jump start the car (are a pair of jumper cables in there?)
    Tow straps (does he know where to hook it up if pulling or being pulled?, don’t want to rip a bumper off)
    It’s not like he is going on a cross country trip in the middle of winter (maybe he is??).
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    OP, for where you are at:
    Blankets
    Dont fumigate yourself (people stranded found dead from CO poisoning) with car running because exhaust got blocked by snowstorm
    Charged cell phone
    Dont drive distracted: people, texting, etc, Ive found other distractions to be far worse, eating, passengers, etc... keep your priorities straight.

Have him do spinouts in a parking lot in the snow(10-20mph, pull e-brake, turn to break rear wheals free, release e-brake, and recover). Its fun, but also teaches you how a car behaves when the rear wheels break free... its kept me out of a ditch when I hit some black ice.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-31-20 at 21:37.

Feedback Score
    If you figure our how to get a teen to wear a jacket, let me know. This seems to be a pattern with teens.

I'd add a jump start pack, you can find them in a small form factor, it's almost fool proof as long as it's charged (another thing teens seem to ignore).
    This will come in handy if there's nobody around to jump his car.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast