Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping my 16 year old driver as prepared as possible...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    Life 360 app for the phone is what we're using for a phone app. We chose this one based on the recommendation of many other school parents that have older kids than ours and have been in a similar situation of wanting visibility of their kids location. We're using the free version but there are more fetures that can be paid for if you choose.
    Downloaded. THKS.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Besides life360, google maps tracks everywhere you go (if you let it). One of the main things that I worry about when my son eventually get his license (still a few years off) is that I hope he's more responsible than I was at his age. A teenage boy's IQ gets cut in half whenever he's around friends in a car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Toilet paper!

Never think you need it till you're stuck in a 10hr traffic jam on the highway in the middle of winter because of a 70 car pileup

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

Have him do spinouts in a parking lot in the snow(10-20mph, pull e-brake, turn to break rear wheals free, release e-brake, and recover). Its fun, but also teaches you how a car behaves when the rear wheels break free... its kept me out of a ditch when I hit some black ice.
    ^This x100
    My wife always scoffs at me when I play on snow covered roads, then is mystified at how I can avoid disaster when vehicle footing gets bad.
    Also, you have a lot of good parents here that are in your AO and greatly appreciate this forum. Were you ever to need to hit the panic button, I'm certain an impressive amount of help would be at your disposal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Since you asked, Condoms. The other 15 Uses for Condoms!

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...x-uses-condoms

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I had only been driving for about 3 months when we got our first snow and my dad took me into an open parking lot and told me to have fun and learn. Honestly, I found great value in learning how to control a car [on snow].

Quote Originally Posted by sjoliat View Post
    ^This x100
    My wife always scoffs at me when I play on snow covered roads, then is mystified at how I can avoid disaster when vehicle footing gets bad.
    Also, you have a lot of good parents here that are in your AO and greatly appreciate this forum. Were you ever to need to hit the panic button, I'm certain an impressive amount of help would be at your disposal.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sva01 View Post
    Life 360 app for the phone is what we're using for a phone app. We chose this one based on the recommendation of many other school parents that have older kids than ours and have been in a similar situation of wanting visibility of their kids location. We're using the free version but there are more fetures that can be paid for if you choose.
    Another vote for this. The pay version is worth it. You can see how fast they're going (top speed), any excessive braking, phone usage while driving, etc.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    If you figure our how to get a teen to wear a jacket, let me know. This seems to be a pattern with teens.

I'd add a jump start pack, you can find them in a small form factor, it's almost fool proof as long as it's charged (another thing teens seem to ignore).
    This will come in handy if there's nobody around to jump his car.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Jump packs are great but I also carry a good set of cables. Just last week I was jumping a car in the Dr's parking lot and my jump pack didn't work because his negative clamp was so loose. I might have been able to get it to work but my cables worked on the first try.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    SR15
    Aimpoint T2
    10 Pmags

Wait, that's all the other threads.....

A half roll of toilet paper in a Ziploc bag. I've done that since I could drive and my wife will tell the story of when we were dating in college and I took her out to the cracker barrel in the next town. Halfway back on the 30mi drive I had to pull my CJ7 over and run off into the woods to let some country fried steak out the back end. Thankful for the TP. Played it cool enough for her to marry me later.

Jumper cables
    Flashlight
    Phone charging cable
    Recovery strap
    Work gloves
    Knowledge of the particular car and all maintenance, tired change, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12