Thread: Hammered Pairs---Range?

Feedback Score

Hammered Pairs---Range?

I was watching a video on the AK 12 the other day. It has a double tap setting so two rounds, one trigger pull. But this is really a hammer pair isn't it? This would be one sight picture and two rounds as opposed to a controlled pair where it is two sight pictures and two round.

I have never done hammer pairs. What kind of range can this be extended out to? I know, different shooters---different distances but can some one give me a range ---10 to 30 yards or something like this? I intend to try this tomorrow.

Feedback Score
    Edit- to answer the question- effective distance comes down to practice.
    ————————————
    Being automatic changes things. I only have started doing this in the last few months with semis using stoeger’s doubles drill.

Doing the drill, its really about learning how to manage recoil properly more than anything. And you still have to see your sights, but you are confirming as the shot breaks so you know if you need a followup or not.
    Two shots with one sight picture is useless. You should be tracking your sights the entire time. Effective distance depends on training and skill. There is theoretically no limit to the range.

Back to the 2shot burst, i believe the concept is to get two shots close to defeat armor(ussually high cyclic rate). Id rather have either FA or semi. After having some time on FA, i feel burst is a novelty, or a good-intention to help novices but limits good shooters... but Im not an expert... yet (one can dream right?).

Even on FA, you should be watching the sights and holding them on target, recoil management will control the spread, and you can make adjustments as needed.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-31-20 at 23:55.

Feedback Score
    Thanks MegademiC. That answer was more than I expected!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going to echo MegademiC. When the Marine Corps first introduced me to hammer pairs, controlled pairs, etc; I really tried to accomplish the whole "two shots, one sight picture" thing. I quickly found that my second shot was drastically outside of where I wanted to hit--sometimes off the target. I was trained enough, and hadn't practiced recoil management enough to make it worthwhile. I finally asked, and I got told pretty much the same thing that has been repeated ever since: see what you need to see in order to get the hits you need. Feel free to push yourself, but if you try to run before you walk, you'll usually fall down.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    So I just went to the range... full auto @6yds. This is only my 5th time out with this gun.
    A lower cyclic rate and usable sights will help a lot. 2 rounds touching (2rd burst), full auto rip, Im keeping it in the upper chest, and head.
    My wife shoots very infrequently and kept everything in the a/c zones doing 2-4 shot bursts. Just like a semi- you have to know what you can do at a given range, and it can always be improved.

Last edited by MegademiC; 02-07-20 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    I have been out shooting twice since my last post. Close, 7 yards, hammered pairs are like magic. But at 15 yards things look different. I am going to relegate hammered pairs to room distance self defense and work on controlled pairs for everything else. This means working on recoil management as far as I can tell.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    I have been out shooting twice since my last post. Close, 7 yards, hammered pairs are like magic. But at 15 yards things look different. I am going to relegate hammered pairs to room distance self defense and work on controlled pairs for everything else. This means working on recoil management as far as I can tell.
    Honestly, training pairs is a gamer thing imo (which is why I do it- lol). There is no reason to stop shooting a threat after a predetermined number of rounds. It can be a good tool/drill though if you know what to look for. You should have 2 distict groups, one for the fist shots, and one for 2nd shots.
    I would start with pairs to get a feel for how you have to control the gun, then move up to 4-6 round strings.

Be sure to analyze what is going on. All my 2nd shots used to go low, and I had to shoot faster, as the slide coming home would push shots low at .2 splits. The gun was dipping then coming back up. Slow motion video really helps see whats happening.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-08-20 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Honestly, training pairs is a gamer thing imo (which is why I do it- lol). There is no reason to stop shooting a threat after a predetermined number of rounds. It can be a good tool/drill though if you know what to look for. You should have 2 distict groups, one for the fist shots, and one for 2nd shots.
    I would start with pairs to get a feel for how you have to control the gun, then move up to 4-6 round strings.

Be sure to analyze what is going on. All my 2nd shots used to go low, and I had to shoot faster, as the slide coming home would push shots low at .2 splits. The gun was dipping then coming back up. Slow motion video really helps see whats happening.
    Firing three pairs of hammered pairs (six shots altogether), at 7 yards the 1st and 2nd each landed within an inch of each other. This was my first experience and I thought this was great. Unfortunately, I jumped out to 15 yards were I just happened to have a target set up for something else. At 15 yards, there was no correlation between the 1st and 2nd at all---and some did not even hit the target (a paper plate). Repeated the experiment yesterday and exactly the same thing happened. The shorter the time between the two shots, the better the group. This seemed really strange.

I have always thought my recoil control sucked for follow up shots. Any tips on improving this?

Feedback Score
    Just keep at and and get a feel for what you need to feel and see to get the hits you need.
    Trigger control can throw shots, so be aware of that as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Just keep at and and get a feel for what you need to feel and see to get the hits you need.
    Trigger control can throw shots, so be aware of that as well.
    Thanks, I will be more aware of trigger control.