Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: from SOPMOD to URG-I (accessories)

Feedback Score

from SOPMOD to URG-I (accessories)

As a SOF gear "interestee" i have been searchin my ass off on the interweb, last weeks, to understand the whole evolution from the MWS to SOPMOD 1, 1.5 , 2, until the the nowaday USASOC URG-I
    After reading various articles, i mean to understand following statements ?

- SOPMOD started in the late 80s and evolved from block 1 to 2, but then appeared to fade out, although some accessories are still used, the term isn't used anymore today, and the program no longer
    in use ?
    - The URG-I kit implements only the upper receiver group, mounted on existing M4A1 lowers.
    - Today official M4 USSOCOM accessories seems to be limited to the Visual Augmentation Systems Weapons Accessories (VASWA) kit , including the TANGO6, Nightforce ATACR, EXPS-3, G33, ELCAN
    (fading out) LA-5 , WMX2000, Surefire 556RC
    - Finally it appears that the only issued fore grip is the Tango down.
    - Al the other accessories and scopes, seen on photos, are purchased on unit level, or are even individual personal purchases.

Are my statements correct ,or incomplete, please correct or either confirm guys

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think its important to remember that when you are getting into things like foregrips, unit as well as individual purchases are not infrequent and are often lumped into the SOPMOD term. There are actually a myriad of things which are lumped in, and whether they are directed tied into a chart or not, they are still SOPMOD in the minds of many (if not most).

Are you looking at this to clone and have match up to a chart, or are you looking to have something similar to what is actually used, or something different?
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I think its important to remember that when you are getting into things like foregrips, unit as well as individual purchases are often lumped into the SOPMOD term.
    Indeed, as far as i know, the only issued Foregrip is the KAC and apparently the Tango Down, so all the rest are personal purchases ?
    Stocks: Colt, Crane, and CAR15
    Pistol grips: Colt A2 and A1

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Personal purchases, not at first, SOPMOD was a upgrade kit rolled out for deploying war fighters during the early GWOT years. But as sophistication in the use of carbines grew personal preferences begin to come out and unit purchases grew. Deploying unit supply sergeants had government issued credit cards with $10,000 or more per day limits, as long as the Company commander signed off on the charges. So off the book AGOG's and other high dollar items were common purchases.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    But as sophistication in the use of carbines grew personal preferences begin to come out and unit purchases grew. Deploying unit supply sergeants had government issued credit cards with $10,000 or more per day limits, as long as the Company commander signed off on the charges.
    Mm.. this means about everything that works, could be found in use by the warfighters ?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aac View Post
    Mm.. this means about everything that works, could be found in use by the warfighters ?
    Yes. Although the items provided by Uncle Sam above the small unit level are/were ubiquitous. Note that many items provided to SOF gradually trickled down and became the norm for others.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    the items provided by Uncle Sam to SOF
    Are there any lists of "non sopmod" , SOF issued items?
    Last edited by aac; 02-03-20 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The original SOPMOD kit came out in the mid/late 1990s that you see in the original NSWC poster.

If you look hard enough, you can find the original media and images created for the SOPMOD program with the issued, adopted accessories.

Other accessories would be obtained from other channels.

I assume you are trying to build a clone? Just use the accessories shown in the images and you would be "clone correct"
    Last edited by scottryan; 02-03-20 at 15:48.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Personal purchases, not at first, SOPMOD was a upgrade kit rolled out for deploying war fighters during the early GWOT years. But as sophistication in the use of carbines grew personal preferences begin to come out and unit purchases grew. Deploying unit supply sergeants had government issued credit cards with $10,000 or more per day limits, as long as the Company commander signed off on the charges. So off the book AGOG's and other high dollar items were common purchases.
    I was just having this conversation today - there are a lot of things that have been purchased by government money that are by no means part of a program. A lot of companies have disingenuous marketing based on this, i.e. "used by Navy SEALs!" when in reality they only sold a few to individual guys or a unit using a credit card.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilia View Post
    there are a lot of things that have been purchased by government money that are by no means part of a program. A lot of companies have disingenuous marketing based on this, i.e. "used by Navy SEALs!" when in reality they only sold a few to individual guys or a unit using a credit card.
    That's exactly what I like to figured out, so it seems that the official issued stuff is either limited to the initial sopmod kits, and most of the parts we see, are
    off the shelf unit, or personal purchases

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast