Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: from SOPMOD to URG-I (accessories)

Feedback Score
    I did some reading about NSN numbers, i understand this is a national stock number, and only Nato partners can assign a NSN number.
    So can we conclude that an accessory only is allowed if it has a NSN number ?

Feedback Score

Cool

SOPMOD_BLOCK 1.jpg

FYI SOPMOD Block I poster from the 2005 NDIA SOPMOD Briefing.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=335809

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilia View Post
    I was just having this conversation today - there are a lot of things that have been purchased by government money that are by no means part of a program. A lot of companies have disingenuous marketing based on this, i.e. "used by Navy SEALs!" when in reality they only sold a few to individual guys or a unit using a credit card.
    And they can do it with impunity because John Public has no way of verifying what Delta does or doesn’t use.

Quote Originally Posted by aac View Post
    Most door kickers in “special” organizations are not going to ask permission or check for a NSN if they decide they like a stubby foregrip better than the Tango Down one. Different organizations have different cultural thresholds for what is “allowed”, but generally speaking, if a dude uses an accessory that is primarily ergonomic rather than functional, no one cares. Particularly if an armorer is not required to install it. Stuff like rail covers and grips and stocks and such. Something like a personally owned suppressor might not fly, particularly in organizations with a disciplined culture, such as 75rr.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I did some reading about NSN numbers, i understand this is a national stock number, and only Nato partners can assign a NSN number.
    You’re really not going to get a good answer on this because you’re trying to apply big army rigidity to SOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you ware looking for concrete answers, certainty, and standardization in SOPMOD, I'll help you right now --> Prepare to be disappointed, as units buy their own stuff, lots of SF provide their own optics, and after that, it's just a mix of old, new, and off the shelf stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    And they can do it with impunity because John Public has no way of verifying what Delta does or doesn’t use.

Most door kickers in “special” organizations are not going to ask permission or check for a NSN if they decide they like a stubby foregrip better than the Tango Down one. Different organizations have different cultural thresholds for what is “allowed”, but generally speaking, if a dude uses an accessory that is primarily ergonomic rather than functional, no one cares. Particularly if an armorer is not required to install it. Stuff like rail covers and grips and stocks and such. Something like a personally owned suppressor might not fly, particularly in organizations with a disciplined culture, such as 75rr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You’re really not going to get a good answer on this because you’re trying to apply big army rigidity to SOF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    If you ware looking for concrete answers, certainty, and standardization in SOPMOD, I'll help you right now --> Prepare to be disappointed, as units buy their own stuff, lots of SF provide their own optics, and after that, it's just a mix of old, new, and off the shelf stuff.
    Thx guys, this answers confirm my presumption, just after the SOPMOD chart's stops the standardization, in particular for SOF
    Except for some new confirmed USSOCOM contracts like

Sig Sauer TANGO6
    Nightforce ATACR
    EOTech EXPS -3 (upgraded versions)
    L3 NGAL
    Last edited by aac; 02-10-20 at 09:03.

Feedback Score
    We have like 20+ NSNs for items that no US MIL unit has ever purchased, and we have no NSNs for several items we have sold by the hundreds/thousands to the US military. As others have stated, it's a mess and sometimes you just can't make sense of nonsense.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The key point about NSNs is that they allow you to order those items through the regular military supply system. Essentially you log onto a computer-based supply system, enter the NSNs that you want to order, and they are charged to the unit's budget once approved. As mentioned above, units can purchase just about anything else that they can justify by using a government purchase card (GPC) that is assigned to a designated card holder with an authorization official to approve the purchases (not necessarily the unit commander, but the commander often directs or gives verbal authorization for the purchases). As a regular Army GPC approving official about 15 years ago, I approved everything from construction materials (plywood, 2x4s, and nails) to "tactical" holsters and specialized assault packs.

Items that don't have "official" NSNs can be assigned a "made up" NSN to be placed on unit property books. This is essentially a place holder that the supply system uses to track unit property. Those NSNs have letters in them, instead of just being a string of numbers, which is how you can recognize them. That way, if the unit buys something expensive / valuable with the GPC, it can be added to the property book for accountability. As a general rule, you're not supposed to buy items that are available through the regular supply system (like an ACOG), but it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    These days (or really since around 2003), you can't even apply Big Army rigidity to Big Army. Everything varies from one chain of command to the next and depends on what was purchased when. Back in 2003-2007 or so, my Cavalry troop had ten EOTechs in the arms room that were "gifted" to the unit by either a private citizen or some organization as they were getting ready to deploy to Iraq in 2003. By the time I got there in 2006, they were all broken and couldn't be repaired but were on the property book, so we had to go through the process of turning them in. Not easy when they're not a authorized item and weren't even the same type as the ones that actually have NSNs in the system.

When it comes to accessories, it's whatever the chain of command will allow and is willing to purchase, if someone doesn't buy it themselves. However, Big Army will periodically "reset" weapons and other equipment, so if rifles go to the depot for reset with any non-standard equipment on them, they will be changed back to their standard configuration during the reset process.

I'm sure that was more than you wanted to know...

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=I'm sure that was more than you wanted to know...[/QUOTE]

Thx, that was indeed a very clarifying reply

To summarise : Weapon accessories, can be anything that works, old, new, NSN, no-NSN, allowed or not allowed by unit, a very broad gamma, almost impossible to chart up.

Big Army will periodically "reset" weapons and other equipment, so if rifles go to the depot for reset with any non-standard equipment on them, they will be changed back to their standard configuration during the reset process.
    And what is the standard configuration ? i presume this is rather limited to some basic items ?
    Like the initial SOPMOD items, followed by the known block2 replacements, until the today URG-I ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And what is the standard configuration ? i presume this is rather limited to some basic items ?
    Like the initial SOPMOD items, followed by the known block2 replacements, until the today URG-I ?
    Not to be dismissive, but there are some pretty large clone knowledge base threads on the net. Lots of folks have been going down this road.

For example, the difference between a CQBR and MK18 is the PEQ and light combo. And to another degree, who it was issued to.

If you’re building one specific rifle from a point in time go for it, but trying to nail down all the accessories ever will be a chore. Good luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast