Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: from SOPMOD to URG-I (accessories)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by marco.g View Post
    Not to be dismissive, but there are some pretty large clone knowledge base threads on the net. Lots of folks have been going down this road.
    Thx anyway , and yes i know, did already lots of reading, on them.

If you’re building one specific rifle from a point in time go for it, but trying to nail down all the accessories ever will be a chore. Good luck!
    I am fully aware of that, trying to get as far as i can

Feedback Score
    Thx guys so far, now the whole sopmod and accessory situation is clarified for me.
    I am wondering, why there's either a 12.5" FSP and a 12.5" non FSP rail ?

The only info i can find is that on the DD site itself, only telling that it was developed on request of SOCOM, to be able to install the M203.
    But the M203 fits also under the M4A1 RIS II ?
    I only can imagine its a choice of personal preference, for soldiers who prefer the the fixed FSP instead of a flip sight ?
    Or is it a "interim" solution for using a new RIS rail in combination with the old M4A1 uppers, without the immediate need for changing gasblocks ?

Wondering if you guys can tel me more about this FSP rails ?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

from SOPMOD to URG-I (accessories)

Quote Originally Posted by aac View Post
    Thx guys so far, now the whole sopmod and accessory situation is clarified for me.
    I am wondering, why there's either a 12.5" FSP and a 12.5" non FSP rail ?

The only info i can find is that on the DD site itself, only telling that it was developed on request of SOCOM, to be able to install the M203.
    But the M203 fits also under the M4A1 RIS II ?
    I only can imagine its a choice of personal preference, for soldiers who prefer the the fixed FSP instead of a flip sight ?
    Or is it a "interim" solution for using a new RIS rail in combination with the old M4A1 uppers, without the immediate need for changing gasblocks ?

Wondering if you guys can tel me more about this FSP rails ?
    If I’m not mistaken the 12.25 FSP is for the carbine length has system of M4A1, and the non fsp fits perfect behind the FSP of the rifle length gas system (although extremely rare to see, even on the forums).

Stick may have and example of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 02-22-20 at 17:38.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    If I’m not mistaken the 12.25 FSP is for the carbine length has system of M4A1, and the non fsp fits perfect behind the FSP of the rifle length gas system (although extremely rare to see, even on the forums).

Stick may have and example of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You may not be wrong but the only ones I know of are still carbines. I honestly don’t know if they were cut down FSPs or delivered with LPGBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Aside from the base components like barrel, rail, GB, BCG the whole 'clone specific' list is pretty stupid. My MOS was 31R (became 25Q but same job) so comms attached to combat units and even in 05-06 I was buying my own optics/grips/lights/KAC rail back then. I got a little bit of shit for the grip since you can mess the safety detent/spring up and cross thread the grip screw but our armorer basically said just don't lose anything.

If you want to clone just do the base components then whatever else you want to run. Guaranteed a lot more issued guns would be running even more modified than they already are if more guys were willing to spend the money.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    As I recall, the 12" RIS II was originally intended for the M16A4. USSOCOM tried them on their M4A1s and liked them. And the FSP model would, then, have been a natural off-shoot of the M16A4 RIS II, just modified for a (mostly unaltered) M4A1.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    12.25 FSP is for the carbine length has system of M4A1, Yes buth both FSP, and non FSP RIS II are 12.25" long, so gas system is always located in the rail right ?

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    As I recall, the 12" RIS II was originally intended for the M16A4. USSOCOM tried them on their M4A1s and liked them. And the FSP model would, then, have been a natural off-shoot of the M16A4 RIS II, just modified for a (mostly unaltered) M4A1.
    Indeed, meanwhile found this thread from stick, clearyfies al
    http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...-Brief-History

Feedback Score
    Hello i am back again.
    Has anyone seen the Magpul K2 grip on the elder non URGI M4's used by SOF, i can't find any photo of it, although he exist already a few years i think.

Feedback Score
    So the reason why the front sight post cut out was because SF had to keep control of the actual front sights. Early on the front sights would be tossed in a bun and kept in storage but they kept piling up and there had to be accountability of these. If you’ll notice you only see Ranger regiment with slick RIS rails and occasional mk18 and then SF will have the front sight cut out rails mk18 and a small handful of slick RIS rails. Fun fact from a buddy that was a bravo for a long time during the block 1 to
    2 transition. 82nd wanted to get the front sight cut out rails but division deemed it would take too long since they wouldn’t allow unit armorers to do it. It had to be small arms repair guys.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    So the reason why the front sight post cut out was because SF had to keep control of the actual front sights. Early on the front sights would be tossed in a bun and kept in storage but they kept piling up and there had to be accountability of these. If you’ll notice you only see Ranger regiment with slick RIS rails and occasional mk18 and then SF will have the front sight cut out rails mk18 and a small handful of slick RIS rails. Fun fact from a buddy that was a bravo for a long time during the block 1 to
    2 transition. 82nd wanted to get the front sight cut out rails but division deemed it would take too long since they wouldn’t allow unit armorers to do it. It had to be small arms repair guys.
    That seems odd, even for the army. They have lots of MK18s without front sights now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast