Thread: AR Pistol

Feedback Score

AR Pistol

Looking at getting an AR pistol, and I have searched the forum and google for some answers but figure I would post my question(s), sorry if I am reposting. I have plenty of AR’s and wanting to get either the Springfield Saint with 7.5bbl or Ruger AR with 10.5bbl.

I’m reading the Springfield is pretty accurate even with the short barrel. This will be a range “toy” to kinda add to the AR’s however I would like to add the LAW folding adapter and a handstop a light and of course red dot.

Basically just wanting options on the AR pistols as a platform and is anyone had specific time behind the Ruger and/or Saint pistol would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

Feedback Score
    Did you look in the AR Pistol subforum?

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...ol-Caliber-ARs

Feedback Score
    I do not have experience with either model but I sold my 7.5” upper (and kept my 10.5”) because of the better ballistics from the longer barrel.

This may not be a concern given your stated usage.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hawg View Post
    I do not have experience with either model but I sold my 7.5” upper (and kept my 10.5”) because of the better ballistics from the longer barrel.

This may not be a concern given your stated usage.
    Yeah thinking, after reading that the 10.5” may be better in terms of ballistics. Also will probably get a 9” 300blk upper for it and swap out uppers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Personally I would stay away from any barrel shorter than 10.5 chambered in 556.

I am in your situation and have other reliable AR's. I bought a PSA pistol kit and couldnt be happier. Have 1k through it, with a stuck wolf casing being the only malfunction to date. The whole gun was under $650 by the time I was done building it with some upgrades.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...AR-pistol-Kits
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang01 View Post
    Yeah thinking, after reading that the 10.5” may be better in terms of ballistics. Also will probably get a 9” 300blk upper for it and swap out uppers.
    Good call, ultra short barrels (anything below 10.5) are horrible with ballistics and has been proven multiple times in real world shootings as well as gel. 300BLK is a different beast, and going 8.5 or 9" is a different critter. Most of my 300BLK are longer than 8.5, but I think I have 4 or 5 that are that size and they all shoot well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Personally I would stay away from any barrel shorter than 10.5 chambered in 556.

I am in your situation and have other reliable AR's. I bought a PSA pistol kit and couldnt be happier. Have 1k through it, with a stuck wolf casing being the only malfunction to date. The whole gun was under $650 by the time I was done building it with some upgrades.

Man that looks great exactly what I’m looking for!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Man that looks great exactly what I’m looking for!! Exactly, my other rifles are my “depend on rifles whereas this is one where I am wanting something different but functional.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Good call, ultra short barrels (anything below 10.5) are horrible with ballistics and has been proven multiple times in real world shootings as well as gel. 300BLK is a different beast, and going 8.5 or 9" is a different critter. Most of my 300BLK are longer than 8.5, but I think I have 4 or 5 that are that size and they all shoot well.
    Glad to hear that. Gonna stock with the 10.5”. Don’t have a 300BLK yet so the upper will be my first and definitely looking forward to it as I really like the ballistics on it especially out of the shorter barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blankstrap View Post
    Did you look in the AR Pistol subforum?

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...ol-Caliber-ARs
    What he said...

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper