Thread: Rütli Shooting

Feedback Score

Rütli Shooting

Last October I was invited for the first time to shoot the Rütli Shooting. It is a 50 meters pistol shooting competition with Swiss Ordnance pistols only, for shooting associations, 8 team members 15 shots per shooter.

The Rütli meadow is where the Swiss confederacy was first established

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rütli

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rütlischwur

It was a very nice day, blue skies, a little wind, and a nice outing with friends, although I was a little frustrated to travel 300 miles to shoot 15 rounds only.

Despite its historical significance, it’s a very small unimpressive meadow

There are over 900 shooters. 40 targets are set up, so 5 associations or clubs shoot in each series.

However the ground is far from flat, so the shooting line slopes downwards whereas the targets go upwards

Only the first few targets are level with the shooter, for the rest of us, you’re shooting upwards to your right.

I was on target 32 with my Waffenfabrik Bern Parabellum 06/24 (Swiss Luger) caliber 7.65 mm Parabellum (.30 Luger) made in 1922

I’d say over 90% were using SIG P210, with a few Lugers and a couple more modern SIGs. The Luger is marginally more accurate than the 210 in my hands.

The local kids come and pick up the empty cases

The youngsters are also in charge of paddles and scoring

My scores

Not mine but a similar target. The center is 10 cm in diameter (4 inches), the 4 (2nd circle) is 20 cm

When it’s all done it’s a big party of music, food drinks and comradeship in addition to the whole scores reading (that takes a while), as well as patriotic speeches etc..

Most shooting clubs fly their flags

And the winner gets a brand new P210 remitted by a Swiss army officer. He shot 68 points out of 75 max.

I almost forgot, they also have the rifle competition a few weeks later. 300 m with ordnance rifles (M or K 11 & 31, Stgw 57 & 90, aka Sig 510 & 550)

This is the shooting line, and the targets are set way up there on the mountain, middle of this picture

Last edited by OLIAR15; 02-03-20 at 05:15.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Sounds like a great event. Nice photos (that Luger is beautiful).

I like reading about these more traditional shooting events. Combining these competitions with history and tradition, and some good food and drink (afterwards) is a great way to preserve our pastime and attract new members. Th team uniforms and banners are a very nice touch.

Thank you for sharing.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    900 people showing up to shoot a 15 rounds event speaks a lot for the Swiss shooting culture. I admit I don't know if I'd had it in me to travel 300 miles for this round count, kudos.
    Great report, great pics. Thank you.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing! Those pistols looks amazing. Beautiful country over there.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Beautiful pictures, & pistols!! That looks like an amazing event!!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the range report from Switzerland.

Interesting event.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very interesting! Thanks alot for sharing!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What an awesome post!
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All of your recent posts are making me so envious....