Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-15/18 opinions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

3-15/18 opinions

Im looking at the following scopes, all around the same price. The mark 6 is significantly lighter than all the rest.

This will be used for hunting and gas-gun PRS matches (556, then 6.5 down the road). The only scope I currently own is a vxr patrol 1.25-4x - furthest shot yet is 450yds, so way out of my lane here.

Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
    Leupold Mk6 3-18
    Xtriii 3-18

Also looking at cheaper scopes below but have concerns in parentheses.
    Meopta optika6 3-18 (clarity, tracking)
    Vortex pst ii 3-15 (clarity, tracking)
    NF SHV 4-14 (zoom range - though its only a little off each end).

Any of these an obvious best choice or should not be considered?
    Also, do the more expensive scopes offer actual benefits that translates to performance/hits, or more of a luxury?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-03-20 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I was attracted to the MK 6 due to its light weight as well, but there have been too many documented tracking issues for me to want to bother with one. The MK 5’s supposedly address the tracking issue.

NXS’s are reliable and durable if you don’t mind SFP. IMO, SFP is fine for hunting but doesn’t seem to be popular in competition.

I liked the SHV F1 I had overall, though the ZeroSet feature felt cheap compared to the ZeroStop and ZeroHold to which I am accustomed.

I’ve settled on the ATACR 4-16x42 as my go-to long range scope due to its overall quality, footprint (especially important to me on a hunting rifle) and relative lack of parallax error.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    take a look at the nx8 2.5-20 or take a hard look at mk5 3.8-18 as you can find them with no illumination for less than $1400. I own both a mk5 and a mk6. Both are great scopes. If you are money conscious go with the mk5.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Im looking at the following scopes, all around the same price. The mark 6 is significantly lighter than all the rest.

This will be used for hunting and gas-gun PRS matches (556, then 6.5 down the road). The only scope I currently own is a vxr patrol 1.25-4x - furthest shot yet is 450yds, so way out of my lane here.

Nightforce Nxs 3.5-15
    Great scope of 10-15 years ago, not really competitive for the price today. See the NX8 2.5-20x50 already suggested.

Leupold Mk5 3.6-18
    Would consider.

Leupold Mk6 3-18
    Too pricey for its features unless you find a screaming deal. Light weight is nice but not really important for what you've described, unless your hunting involves many miles of hiking.

Also looking at cheaper scopes below but have concerns in parentheses.
    Meopta optika6 3-18 (clarity, tracking)
    The PSTII 3-15x has amazing glass quality for its price and feels like an all-around great scope. I have not yet tested tracking on mine so can't

NF SHV 4-14 (zoom range - though its only a little off each end).
    I assume you mean the FFP model? I have one and am not super impressed with it. Zoom range is limited, FOV is nothing special. Glass quality is good but I don't see any reason to choose this over the less expensive PST II 3-15x.

Any of these an obvious best choice or should not be considered?
    Also, do the more expensive scopes offer actual benefits that translates to performance/hits, or more of a luxury?
    Thanks.
    Nothing is an obvious best or worst choice on your list, although the NXS is a questionable value as of 2020 when compared to the NX8. Likewise, the Mark 6 price varies widely depending on sales and reticle choice. I would consider a Mark 6 at $1500, which was a recent MidwayUSA price on the mildot model, but anything over $1800 I would not. If you want illumination it's closer to $3000 which is ridiculous.

One other option to consider - the Burris XTR III (3) is a new model that is made in the USA and looks pretty good:
    https://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-iii

Those are around $1750.

My personal take would be PSTII if you are at all price sensitive, and NX8 or XTRIII if price is not a big issue. Nothing wrong with the Leupolds you mentioned, other than price/value on the Mark 6. Nothing wrong with the NXS but it's SFP and you can do much fancier for the same price today. I'm not convinced that the SHV F1 is a good value, based on personal use of one mounted on an accurate bolt-action rifle.

Feedback Score
    Well, I was set on the nx8, but started thinking I dont need to spend $2k on a day optic...
    So I looked at $1000 scopes.

All the top listed scopes (mk6, etc) could be had for $1500 (horus reticle).

Its hard for me to imagine the nx8 would be worth double the price to me over the vortex, but I dont know what I dont know.
    Its it just nicer or will it realistically help me ID targets and make hits? Is it worth $500 over the other options?

Edit - didnt notice sfp on the nsx- ill scratch that one. Replaced with xtr iii

Edit 2- Relevant additional info?...I plan on eventually getting a vortex razor g2 4.5-27 (or equivalent) for prs down the road. This scope im looking to get now is just to get me started and will be stuck on the gas guns.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-03-20 at 17:16.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The newer NF Gen scopes are FFP. I have no issues buying used scopes and you can really save some money buying used. Check our EE and at Snipershide as well.

NF SHV 4-14 (zoom range - though its only a little off each end). Buy the F1 version, I have one and for the price, pretty nice.

Vortex is hard to beat for the money, get the GenII in the PST line with the larger turrets. Big improvement from GenI to GenII. Loosen your wallet and get good glass, you can move from rifle to rifle and you will keep glass after selling rifles.

Best of luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 02-03-20 at 17:40.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Can vouch for the Vortex PST Gen ll.
    Clarity is adequate and tracking on (example of one).

Put one on a dedicated hunting gun that maybe sees 4 to 6 rds a year.
    Had trouble justifying much over $850 for glass on that rifle and have not been disappointed.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I’d get a NF NX8 or if you’re looking to save a little cash the 3-12 or 4.5-18 Bushnell LRTS are excellent scopes for the money. I believe you can find the 3-12 for $650 right now if you don’t mind the flat dark earth color. Absolute steal and if I didn’t have more optics than I have rifles I’d buy one.

Feedback Score
    I would also take a look at the new Brownells Match Precision Optics. I have heard some very good things and they are priced right around 1k. You can usually find a coupon for Brownells as well

Made by Low in Japan they are high quality scopes for the price

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...rod124966.aspx

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys.
    Im actually thinking of getting the razor gen2 4.4-27 sooner, and getting a used nx8 ( or pst gen 2 if I think it fits my needs) down the road when i get a bolt gun( to wear the vortex).

I’ll look at the other options in the meantime.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-07-20 at 22:40.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast