Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: G48 stovepipe with live round?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So, I just got done at the range today. Fired 100 rounds through the G48, this time Federal 124gr ball vs the 147s I had exclusively been using previously.
    50 rounds of that was with the two mags that I had malfs with previously (numbered mag #1 and #4). Five times per mag I only loaded two rounds in to see if I could duplicate the last-round issues that way.
    No failures at all today.
    Didn’t bother swapping the recoil spring out since I didn’t need to troubleshoot anything, but I have it if I need it.

Feedback Score
    A heavier round is more prone to this malfunction with weak magazine springs. Probably why you found it with 147s.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If the gun continues to run well with 124gr bullets I’ll probably end up putting 100 rounds of HST 124s through it and then maybe just use those as a carry load instead of the 147s I use in my VP9s (And probably also my G45 once that’s been vetted too, right now I’ve only got 200 rounds through it)
    However if I’ve got spring issues with my 48’s mags I’ll probably be concerned about them getting worse over time to the point where they do start having problems with the 124s as well. There doesn’t seem to be any extra power springs on the market for 43X/48 mags. For now I’ll just keep shooting it.
    We’ll see what happens on Monday, which is probably the soonest I will make it back to the range.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Yes, last round in two different mags, two different brands of 147gr. 10-round mags, so nine shots fired prior to the malfunctions. Rate of fire in both cases was, brisk maybe, but not like a mag dump or something.

In other news the G45 is kind of awesome so far, and I say that as someone who generally doesn’t enjoy handguns too much. Probably not a good idea to get too excited about it just yet though.....
    Sorry, I'm late getting back with you.

Last round in mag, spring tension at it's least, coupled with a softer shooting round, and grip tension can have an impact.

Having read through all the replies in this thread, I tend to agree that it may be a mag issue coupled with a grip problem.

I'm the first to admit that I look to a hardware solution rather than consider that it may be a software (shooter) problem, but sooner or later, I get around to it, despite my ego.

I would consider the fixes that have been recommended - snappier ammo, mag springs, etc. but, I would also self-diagnose to see if maybe a little more focus on my grip would result in tighter groups and more reliable function.

For some reason I didn't feel this video was a waste of time, I don't remember what prompted me to watch it, hey, I'm old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1iDjiLrp6g

The article discusses the takes of 3 world champions on grip: https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria..._100306/138866
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    EDIT: Double post
    Last edited by Circle_10; 02-21-20 at 06:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Sorry, I'm late getting back with you.

Last round in mag, spring tension at it's least, coupled with a softer shooting round, and grip tension can have an impact.

Having read through all the replies in this thread, I tend to agree that it may be a mag issue coupled with a grip problem.

I'm the first to admit that I look to a hardware solution rather than consider that it may be a software (shooter) problem, but sooner or later, I get around to it, despite my ego.

I would consider the fixes that have been recommended - snappier ammo, mag springs, etc. but, I would also self-diagnose to see if maybe a little more focus on my grip would result in tighter groups and more reliable function.

For some reason I didn't feel this video was a waste of time, I don't remember what prompted me to watch it, hey, I'm old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1iDjiLrp6g

The article discusses the takes of 3 world champions on grip: https://www.handgunsmag.com/editoria..._100306/138866
    Thanks, I’ll check the links out! Honestly I’d prefer it be me causing the problem vs a mechanical issue of some kind anyway. I was firing somewhat quickly when the malfs happened, perhaps my grip tension changed during the course of firing the whole mag.

I mean, really the reliability has actually been pretty good overall, I’m at or just over the 1000rd mark now (I don’t have my logbook handy to check at the moment) but I actually have low-level OCD and my guns are one of the areas it tends to manifest.
    I’ve also been known to use 20-30 round groups when confirming 100yd POI on my ARs “just to be really sure”.....

Feedback Score
    For a loose firing grip to really be a detriment, it is my opinion you needed to be doing something really egregious....pulling the gun rearward rapidly while firing it, holding the gun in a very loose and low contact area grip that allows it a lot of free play in the hand, etc.

A rapid fire malf with two hands holding the gun is worrisome, as this should amply meet the criteria for a steady hold. For the time being stick with 115s and 124s for practice and use the time spent to nail down the possibility of a reoccurrence. All you can do right now, really.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrem View Post
    For a loose firing grip to really be a detriment, it is my opinion you needed to be doing something really egregious....pulling the gun rearward rapidly while firing it, holding the gun in a very loose and low contact area grip that allows it a lot of free play in the hand, etc.

A rapid fire malf with two hands holding the gun is worrisome, as this should amply meet the criteria for a steady hold. For the time being stick with 115s and 124s for practice and use the time spent to nail down the possibility of a reoccurrence. All you can do right now, really.
    Yeah, “keep shooting it” is pretty much the game plan now. I guess I’ll have to decide what an acceptable failure rate is. I currently have about 4600 rounds through what I carry now - a VP9SK - with three malfunctions, one which was almost definitely my fault and two which were probably my fault.
    I’ll probably be hitting the range with the 48 again tomorrow, I’ll likely be trying 124gr HSTs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just finished up today’s session. 50 rds Federal 124gr ball and 100 rds Federal 124gr HST. Only issue I had was a failure to lock open with Mag#1 (One of the mags I had a malfunction with) however I think I caused it, as it’s something I’ve done with this gun a few other times (I felt myself do it on one occasion) and every now and again inadvertently do with my HKs as well, so I won’t count that against the gun or the mag. The fact it was Mag#1 was probably a coincidence.
    Round count is now 1150. I guess at this point I’ll probably have the Ameriglo sights I bought a while back installed.
    I do believe there is definite room for improvement in my handgun shooting grip in general.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    100 more rounds of Federal 124gr yesterday, no issues. At this point, going forward I’ll probably only update if I have problems vs when everything goes fine.
    However I did want to inquire about this product:

https://hyve-technologies.com/produc...-the-glock-48/

Due to having a longer slide but still using the G43 recoil spring, the G48 has the space to accommodate a full length recoil spring/guide rod. I have read some opinions that the G43 spring is a somewhat “marginal” choice for the G48, and the 48 could benefit from a full length recoil spring.

I don’t know as the issues I had previously had any relation to the stock recoil spring or not, but I’m just curious what others here think about the merit of a full length G48 recoil spring in general.
    Does something like the Hyve product in the link have any legitimate merit as a general upgrade or is it more likely just a gimmick?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast