Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: G48 stovepipe with live round?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

G48 stovepipe with live round?

So I’m planning on switching over to a G48 for CCW. As of today the gun has 890 rounds through it. 889 of them have been flawless. Today however I had this happen with round #890

355C17CC-B543-40EE-AFD4-ED1041F119D5.jpg
    F6F487EF-A430-4AD4-8514-DFD7342AA801.jpg

This is a new one for me. My first instinct is to blame the magazine, It’s one of the two newer ones I ordered to supplement the two that came with the gun, but I’m also curious if I could have caused this with a bad grip somehow. As mentioned above it was the last round in the magazine. I subsequently loaded the round back in the mag, fired it, and the gun locked open.
    Ammo was Federal American Eagle 147gr ball, which aside from 100 rounds of 147gr Federal HST is the only ammo I’ve used in this gun thus far.
    I have my mags numbered and marked the mag in question as one to watch in case of further issues. Am I correct I’m presuming this is magazine related though?

I’ve had such lousy luck with small autos in the past that any kind of issue kind of raises a red flag for me now. Obviously one malfunction out of 890 isn’t cause for major concern yet, but where the malfunction itself was something I’ve never seen before I figured I’d ask about it.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 02-03-20 at 12:38.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That's the magazine. Feed lip width must be a bit on the larger side and when the slide was chambering that last round the magazine let go and the mag spring popped it straight up. I've seen that with very worn out steel mags. Just got lucky and the new mag was bad.
    "Knowledge without experience is just information"--Mark Twain

Hindsight is 6920

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I guess that mag isn’t going to be pulling CCW duty, although I might test it some more to see if I get the same malfunction. It hasn’t been used as extensively as my original two mags but today wasn’t it’s first range trip either, I hadn’t experienced this issue with this mag previously though. I guess numbering my mags was a smart idea.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Certainly an oddity from my experiences, send it back and get it replaced.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Weak mag spring/excessive slide velocity.

As a long time 1911 guy that got goaded by all the Glock kids...

Y'all should have been taking notes.

Feedback Score
    A live round stovepipe is a variant of the bolt over base misfeed.

Most often happens on the last round when magazine spring tension is at a minimum. The slide outruns the magazine a little and the cartridge pickup rail/bottom of breechface hits the round in the extractor groove area rather than the rim. The round misses the chamber as it does not glance off the ramp properly and is trapped bullet up between breechface and barrel.

Most likely not a magazine lip width issue as it would do it on every round rather than the last. In addition lip distortion is greater with a full magazine’s spring pressure on the feed lips. Pressure on the feed lips is minimal with a single round. As I said, if it was the feed lips it would do it more often when the mag was full.

Try replacing the magazine spring first. This is narrowing the cause a little more exactly.

Feedback Score
    Agree....they should have been taking notes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Notes taken. Explains why I’ve only seen that with very worn mil pistol mags. ASSumed they were just getting deformed at the top. Still a mag issue though and sucks it’s with a new one.

Guess we can still learn something from the 1911 guys after all.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Good information. I must have good mags with NATO ball, Speer Lawman and +P+ 127's
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrem View Post

Try replacing the magazine spring first. This is narrowing the cause a little more exactly.
    Good info thanks. where it’s a new mag that I just ordered like a week and a half ago I’m probably more apt to just return/exchange it vs spending more money to order a new spring.

I’m just glad it’s probably not the gun itself because I really like the G48 so far and am somewhat looking forward to switching over to it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast