Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G48 stovepipe with live round?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That's a mag issue.

As long as the gun, ammo, and mag were correctly designed to work together in the first place.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    That's a mag issue.

As long as the gun, ammo, and mag were correctly designed to work together in the first place.
    So now that’s two mag issues than, two different mags, two different brands of ball ammo, both on the last round. Looks like my streak of bad luck with small autos is still going strong.

Feedback Score
    It's often difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose (& cure) one of these intermittent pistol problems via the internet. Nobody here can examine both the gun and the shooter.

You (the OP) can possibly get another shooter to shoot your guns until you're satisfied it's either the gun or you. If you send the gun back to Glock, they'll likely test fire your gun and either confirm your problem; or won't be able to recreate the problem. They'll detail-strip your gun and mags and maybe replace some parts just for good measure and return the gun to you.

You could (although would take some money) obtain another G48; shoot it, and that might determine whether it's you or both G48s or even certain magazines. Glocks are relatively mass-produced, but tend to be consistently reliable between its individual guns. Yes, there could be a problem with an individual gun or two. With the internet, hopefully a problem with an entire batch or model of guns will eventually be disclosed on a variety of forums by more than one owner/user. I read & participate in many of the firearms forums and haven't noticed a G48 last-round issue, so far, as I type this.

I hesitate to advise you sending the gun back to Glock (cost is typically ~$55 via FEDEX) with the risk Glock will find nothing.

Your last sentence seems to disclose more info regarding prior reliability problems between you and other small autos. With that statement, it could be you. Let us know if you ever determine it's you, the gun, or just give up on the G48.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    It's often difficult, if not impossible, to diagnose (& cure) one of these intermittent pistol problems via the internet. Nobody here can examine both the gun and the shooter.

You (the OP) can possibly get another shooter to shoot your guns until you're satisfied it's either the gun or you. If you send the gun back to Glock, they'll likely test fire your gun and either confirm your problem; or won't be able to recreate the problem. They'll detail-strip your gun and mags and maybe replace some parts just for good measure and return the gun to you.

You could (although would take some money) obtain another G48; shoot it, and that might determine whether it's you or both G48s or even certain magazines. Glocks are relatively mass-produced, but tend to be consistently reliable between its individual guns. Yes, there could be a problem with an individual gun or two. With the internet, hopefully a problem with an entire batch or model of guns will eventually be disclosed on a variety of forums by more than one owner/user. I read & participate in many of the firearms forums and haven't noticed a G48 last-round issue, so far, as I type this.

I hesitate to advise you sending the gun back to Glock (cost is typically ~$55 via FEDEX) with the risk Glock will find nothing.

Your last sentence seems to disclose more info regarding prior reliability problems between you and other small autos. With that statement, it could be you. Let us know if you ever determine it's you, the gun, or just give up on the G48.
    It’s odd to me that I made it almost 900 rounds without any function issues at all, then had two last-round malfs, within 60 rounds of each other. It’s disappointing because I like the G48 quite a bit, have been shooting it decently, and was kind of looking forward to switching to it for CCW. I’m also annoyed because I waited until I had like 700 rounds through the gun before ordering stuff like new sights, holster, extra mags, figuring that by 700+ rounds I could probably be fairly confident the gun was good to go, and was worth sinking some more money into, and here we are a couple hundred rounds later and I’m ready to ditch this gun and stick with my VP9SK (which is reliable, has over 4300 rounds through it, but pinches the ever loving shit out of my pinkie finger with the 13rd extended mags I prefer to use in it)

I do have prior issues with subcompact pistols, some of it has been reliability issues, some of it related to not shooting them well, some of it related to them being physically uncomfortable for me (see the VP9SK above) altogether it just equals a pattern of not being happy with small semi autos.

Feedback Score
    Post 24,
    I forgot to add, it can also be some weird, random, batch of ammo problem, too. Any particular brand (yes, even name brand) can have a few rounds which are somehow out of spec (hotter loads, under-powered loads, or dimensional issues). It could neither be the gun or the shooter in this case. I've got a gun (AR-15) rifle back at the factory right now with intermittent primer blow-outs. Very frustrating. It's been with at least three different brands of ammo, 4300 rounds, and took me almost 2 years before I got through the last two brands of ammo. I figure it was ~1%+ rate of failure but initially thought it was mainly just a bad (1-2K rounds) batch of ammo (Federal 55 gr. XM193).

If it was me and I liked a G48 for carry, I'd probably:
    -carry it, but be mindful to be proficient with any failure drills;
    -I'd buy yet more ammo (as in another 1k rounds of any brand name ammo) and shoot the heck out of it more. I'd probably take 2 or 3 days to get through 1,000 rounds; but I'd probably feel better if I got through 100 or 200 without failures.
    -During this testing, I'd include a box of carry ammo.

Although I made up a "feel-good" round count, really, you'll want to be confident you can get through, probably, 21 rounds. Twenty-one rounds would be 10+1 rounds in the G48, then one 10-round spare mag should you get into a 21-round gunfight, after which you'd hope you'd fought your way to your shotgun, rifle, or somehow gotten out of the location.

If there were any modifications to the G48 gun and mags, go back to the original stock set-up. I don't remember reading about anybody asking or if any mods were mentioned. No need to answer.
    Last edited by L-2; 02-09-20 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    That's a mag issue.

As the next poster said, difficult to diagnose with the certainty you seem to project.

Yeah, a semi-auto pistol SHOULD properly function no matter how the shooter holds it, but, if you've been around a lot of shooters, or shot as much as your posts seem to reflect, you know that isn't true.

At various times I've tried to induce malfunctions in auto-pistols during demos by limp-wristing, lunging, heeling. loose grip, firing with pistol held only between thumb and trigger finger*, etc. The dang things unfailingly work, but some dang shooter will induce a malfunction by doing one of those things. It's mind-boggling when you think about it.

After talking with Rob Vogel during one of his classes, I began to practice using longer strings and started to pay more attention to shots beyond the fifth one, that is where Vogel said a lot of shooters start to lose their grip. He, Vogel, had delivered a serious dose of truth.

I find with the G43, I actually need to remind myself to maintain grip pressure earlier, generally third or fourth round. I must be a simple shit, because on average I fire at least 300 to 400 rounds a month through it and I still find the need to remind myself.

Due to my experiences, I'm kind of inclined to look to the shooter before I issue a blanket edict.

* when trying this little demo the next rounds in the mag are dummy rounds
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 02-10-20 at 14:52. Reason: cleaned up double words and other stuff
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    As the next poster said, difficult to diagnose with the certainty you seem to project.

Yeah, a semi-auto pistol SHOULD properly function no matter how the shooter holds it, but, if you've been around a lot of shooters, or shot as much as your posts seem to reflect, you know that isn't true.

At various times I've tried to induce malfunctions in various auto-pistols during demos by limp-wristing, lunging, heeling. loose grip, firing with pistol held only between thumb and trigger finger*, etc. The dang things unfailing work work, but some dang shooter will induce a malfunction by doing one of those things. It's mind-boggling when you think about it.

After talking with Rob Vogel during one of his classes, I began to practice using longer strings and started to pay more attention to shots beyond the fifth one, that is where Vogel said a lot of shooters start to lose their grip. That was a serious dose of truth.

I find with the G43, I actually need to remind myself to maintain grip pressure earlier, generally third or fourth round. I must be a simple shit, because on average I fire at least 300 to 400 rounds a month through it and I still find the need to remind myself.

Due to my experiences, I'm kind of inclined to look to the shooter before I issue a blanket edict.

* when trying this little demo the next rounds in the mag are dummy rounds
    If it’s me causing the issues, which is certainly possible, I just find it odd that I would only start causing them 890 rounds in....unless the gun “breaking in” has now made it more susceptible to whatever I’m doing wrong, or more sensitive to 147gr ball. The thread I linked to earlier in the thread seemed to suggest that the G48 was a bit iffy with sustained use of 147gr, which thus far is all I’ve shot in mine (I thought the latest batch of 9mm I ordered was 124gr but I had apparently simply ordered a different brand of 147gr, guess I got my wires crossed there) but that thread is the only mention of any possible issue with heavy bullet weights and the G48 I’ve seen anywhere.
    Basically I’m very disappointed. I don’t really find handguns fun so they aren’t something I like to tinker with or try to methodically diagnose problems with, I just want them to work. Ammo isn’t cheap for someone in my income bracket and my inclination is to not waste anymore time or money on the gun, and maybe try to sell it and the extras I bought for it and try and recoup my losses (I’ll tell whoever buys it about the issues, the failure rate is low enough a lot of people won’t care) The night sights I ordered for it should be delivered today so I can add those to the pot.....
    Last edited by Circle_10; 02-10-20 at 07:16.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Alright.....so I think what I’m going to do is take a break from the G48 and focus on the G45 I traded for (Which I only put an initial 50rounds through last week, but like so far) and also shoot my VP9s a bit, since I haven’t done much of that for a few weeks (because every time I’ve gone to the range I’ve shot my G48 instead)
    However I think I’ll bite the bullet (har har) and order some 115 and/or 124gr 9mm and give it another chance with several hundred rounds of some lighter loads. Because I really do like the gun. If I have any issues with the lighter stuff then at that point I am going to give up on the 48.
    Even if it is just the mags that are causing the issues, with a modern handgun I’m not going to screw around cherry picking which are the “good” mags and which aren’t. This isn’t a WW1 era Luger or something.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 02-10-20 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    If it’s me causing the issues, which is certainly possible, I just find it odd that I would only start causing them 890 rounds in....unless the gun “breaking in” has now made it more susceptible to whatever I’m doing wrong, or more sensitive to 147gr ball.
    Please remind me, were these all last round of the mag malfunctions? What round in the string of fire were they - I know last, since it failed to feed LOL - what I'm looking for is how many rounds fired in the mag before the malfunction as well as the rate of fire.

Our Academy used 147gr ball up to several years ago, yes I think if you aren't minding your P's and Q's regarding grip, 147gr subsonics will tend to malfunction more than snappier rounds. Which was a small part of our thinking - we wanted to fix shooter's.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Please remind me, were these all last round of the mag malfunctions? What round in the string of fire were they - I know last, since it failed to feed LOL - what I'm looking for is how many rounds fired in the mag before the malfunction as well as the rate of fire.

Our Academy used 147gr ball up to several years ago, yes I think if you aren't minding your P's and Q's regarding grip, 147gr subsonics will tend to malfunction more than snappier rounds. Which was a small part of our thinking - we wanted to fix shooter's.

Yes, last round in two different mags, two different brands of 147gr. 10-round mags, so nine shots fired prior to the malfunctions. Rate of fire in both cases was, brisk maybe, but not like a mag dump or something.

In other news the G45 is kind of awesome so far, and I say that as someone who generally doesn’t enjoy handguns too much. Probably not a good idea to get too excited about it just yet though.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast