Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: G48 stovepipe with live round?

Feedback Score
    Bolt over base misfeed. Variant of what happened before if you reread my post. Weak magazine spring.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrem View Post
    Bolt over base misfeed. Variant of what happened before if you reread my post. Weak magazine spring.

So if that’s the case, that would imply I now have two mags with weak springs, one of which came with the gun (which is an all black G48, thus a newer production example) and another one that was purchased separately from Midway.
    I haven’t seen anything about this anywhere but are mag springs or the mags in general a known weak spot with the 43X/48 or something?
    Last edited by Circle_10; 02-12-20 at 05:42.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Those guns don't have much mass to absorb the recoil and the little recoil springs may not last very long.

The smaller you make a gun like that, the tighter the operating window gets. Everything has be more perfect to ensure proper function.

May need to change mag springs and recoil spring pretty frequently.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 17K View Post
    Those guns don't have much mass to absorb the recoil and the little recoil springs may not last very long.

The smaller you make a gun like that, the tighter the operating window gets. Everything has be more perfect to ensure proper function.

May need to change mag springs and recoil spring pretty frequently.
    Well I got a spare recoil spring for it now too that I can try - it uses the same one as the G43, but I can’t help but wonder if a full length guide rod/spring might be better suited for the 48, considering it has the slide length and space to accommodate one - in any case it probably will be several days before I can get back to the range with it and the 124gr ammo I ordered.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Exactly my thought from the first time I saw it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Well I got a spare recoil spring for it now too that I can try
    I said recoil spring two pages back and I'm betting this will solve your problem. Video yourself shooting. This way if it happens again, you'll have video to send Glock with your pistol.

Feedback Score
    A weakened recoil spring does not contribute to the slide outrunning the magazine in most instances as it slows forward slide return.

Feedback Score
    I understand what you're saying in theory, but I have a USP40 that was doing the same thing and more as the OP's pistol. Replacing the recoil spring fixed it. H&K didn't think the recoil spring was the problem either until they decided to replace it the 3rd time it came back to them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If the slide smacks the frame too hard it'll jar a round loose like that.

Feedback Score
    The round was not jarred loose. It was still in the magazine on the second malf. One the first the round was hit in the extractor groove rather than the rim and was also not jarred loose.

A jarred loose round is ejected without feeding or is lying atop the follower with the slide locked open. Just saying the magazine springs are highly suspect.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast