Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting into the suppressor world, am I doing it right?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Threading the M70 in 1/2x28 is not necessarily a deal breaker. There are companies that make 1/2x28 mounts that pass a .30 or larger bullet for this reason. Alternatively a gunsmith can bore a muzzle device larger. Check Rugged’s site or shoot them an e-mail. They’ve probably already thought of this. If not, consider Dead Air, or any with 1.375”x24 “Omega thread” mount modularity.
    I'll check into one of those mounts

Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    The benefit of the difference in barrel threading size would be if the can is used on 5.56 and 7.62 with interchangeable mounts and front end caps (exit diameter), it gives you the opportunity to ensure both the front and rear parts of the can have been properly swapped out...otherwise sending a 7.62 bullet through the 5.56 end cap tends to cause you to buy a new end cap.
    Good safeguard.

Quote Originally Posted by Life's a Hillary View Post
    I have a Rugged Obsidian 45 but didn’t bother with the 9mm cap. It wouldn’t hurt (unless you forget to take it off and shoot your 45 of course) but not necessary. It’s a great can though and I’d buy more Rugged products.
    I'm pretty set on the Obsidian 45.

I'm starting to look at specific 5.56 suppressors as the hunting option was just a bonus. The problem is the more I look the deeper the paralysis analysis occurs.

For sizes around 5" vs 7" on a 5.56 for a 16" barrel, which is the best go to size for general purpose if you only get one?

Feedback Score
    For a 16” barreled 556, id look at a short model, like the socom 556mini(i went with this) or turbo k. (No experience with YHM personally).

If you want max silence, an sico omega is hard to beat and only 7” long (qd mount will extend it)
    The regular yhm k is pretty quiet as well.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    I'll check into one of those mounts

Good safeguard.

I'm pretty set on the Obsidian 45.

I'm starting to look at specific 5.56 suppressors as the hunting option was just a bonus. The problem is the more I look the deeper the paralysis analysis occurs.

For sizes around 5" vs 7" on a 5.56 for a 16" barrel, which is the best go to size for general purpose if you only get one?
    I have a SOCOM 5.56 Mini on a 14” carbine. I don’t mind or really notice the extra length/weight and wouldn’t imagine that a can of this size would be any much worse on a 16.” My only 16” rifles have heavy barrels so I’m not sure how accurate a comparison would be versus your setup, but I’ve mounted a Saker 556-k on a 14.5” and it wasn’t uncomfortable either. My Omega when equipped with a QD Mount and mounted on a 16” gun in very noticeable/irritating, IMO. Quiet, though

Feedback Score
    I had read that people really like the Mini's. I don't like direct mounts for my uses. I can see taking it off and on and like the QD's even if its just for storage. 16" barrels take up space in the case and adding the suppressor means another case if left on. Slippery slope.

I'm leaning towards mini/mod choices:
    Rugged Radiant 7.5/5.1" 12.5/9.4 oz
    Rugged Micro 30 6.5/5" 15.1/11.8 oz
    Dead Air Sandman K 5.4" 12.8 oz
    Surefire Mini2 5" 14.5 oz

Or could just go mid:
    Rugged Razor 6.4" 15.3 oz
    Dead Air Sandman S 6.8" 17.7 oz

Regardless, I'm learning more about high and low back pressure. Also, for the cost of some of these suppressors, I could take a shooting class...

Thanks to m4c for all the help with decisions.

TR

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Something that hasn’t been mentioned yet...

If you have the opportunity to shoot some of these can’s you are thinking about buying, do so in order to see how they feel and sound. Each can has it’s own tone. This way you have more empirical data to work with instead of just analysis paralysis.

What looks good on paper may not sound good to your ear.
    Yes read the reviews but try an put it into context of what they are trying to do.A more informed customer Is a better customer.

If you are in the DFW area I would be happy to let you shoot mine.

Omega 300, Chimeria 300, PSD 300-tm,hybrid 46

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Something that hasn’t been mentioned yet...

If you have the opportunity to shoot some of these can’s you are thinking about buying, do so in order to see how they feel and sound. Each can has it’s own tone. This way you have more empirical data to work with instead of just analysis paralysis.

What looks good on paper may not sound good to your ear.
    Yes read the reviews but try an put it into context of what they are trying to do.A more informed customer Is a better customer.

If you are in the DFW area I would be happy to let you shoot mine.

Omega 300, Chimeria 300, PSD 300-tm,hybrid 46
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm in 4Corners NM. I only know one friend with suppressors, will have to hit him up.

TR

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I had read that people really like the Mini's. I don't like direct mounts for my uses. I can see taking it off and on and like the QD's even if its just for storage. 16" barrels take up space in the case and adding the suppressor means another case if left on. Slippery slope.

Or could just go mid:

Regardless, I'm learning more about high and low back pressure. Also, for the cost of some of these suppressors, I could take a shooting class...

TR
    SureFire SOCOMs aren’t direct thread- they QD Mount on flash hiders and/or brakes. SF’s taper lock attachment is one of the best as far as POI/POA shift is concerned

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any of YHMs new offerings. Turbo K, Resonator K etc... For a basic can they are killing it right now.

And I've got a Micro 30, Omega, multiple SF socom cans etc... But I wouldn't look anywhere else right now. I'll be ordering a couple of Turbo K's once SS has them back in stock.

I love my Micro 30, but I could almost get two YHM cans for the same price. That means more Tax stamps(and money) but in the long run I'd rather have more cans for the extra stamps.

Just my opinion though.

Feedback Score

Or could just go mid:

TR
    You have a lot of 30cal choices there. If I was buying a do-it all rifle can, it would be the sandman s or energetic armamament vox s.

The Ks (based on online data) are a lot louder than the s versions, and the socom mini556, which is similar size/weight.
    Dedicated 555, go k.
    308 can, go s-length.

Just my opinion. I like to keep the signiture below 140db.

With a convertible silencer, you’ll likely keep it in one mode, forever, after a few range sessions to experiment.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 02-05-20 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    You have a lot of 30cal choices there. If I was buying a do-it all rifle can, it would be the sandman s or energetic armamament vox s.

The Ks (based on online data) are a lot louder than the s versions, and the socom mini556, which is similar size/weight.
    Dedicated 555, go k.
    308 can, go s-length.

Just my opinion. I like to keep the signiture below 140db.

With a convertible silencer, you’ll likely keep it in one mode, forever, after a few range sessions to experiment.
    Second post in this thread (Clint, Black River Tactical) mentions going with a 30 cal silencer over a dedicated 5.56 decreases the blow back pressures. Trying to think ahead.

Do most people running a suppressor on a mid length 16" require reduction in gas drive? Going off of what Clint said, seems easy enough to fix but goes against the idea of having a modular can unless the function window is wide.

I also was reading about using a heavier buffer spring. Pros and cons for changing the buffer spring vs a modified gas port tube?
    Last edited by Troutrunner; 02-06-20 at 02:04.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast