Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting into the suppressor world, am I doing it right?

Feedback Score
    I think I found my answer:

"While a heavier buffer will slow the carrier acceleration, it does nothing to reduce the volume of gas venting from the carrier and gas tube. To do that, you need to reduce flow from the gas port. That means either changing to a barrel with a smaller gas port or getting an adjustable gas block" or I think, using the EZTUNE.

Feedback Score
    Yes, if you want to minimize gas to face, you’ll have to balance the gas drive.
    Any decent gun should function fine suppressed/unsuppressed, it just might not be comfortable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Yes, if you want to minimize gas to face, you’ll have to balance the gas drive.
    Any decent gun should function fine suppressed/unsuppressed, it just might not be comfortable.
    Reliability is my number one concern. Sounds like I can get it suppressed and see how comfortable I am. Fix and check reliability as needed.
    Last edited by Troutrunner; 02-06-20 at 12:22.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Suppressor will always increase the Gas Drive.

How much depends on the suppressor, ammo and gas system configuration.

Whether the increase is "too much" also depends on where you start.

The Noveskes are notorious for being very strongly gasssed, call it right up to the maximum of what could be considered good function.

Adding a suppressor will clearly put it outside of good function.

On the other hand, if the unsuppressed Gas Drive is at the middle or low end, the increase from the suppressor may put it up to the max, but not way over.

We like to keep standard springs and swap between light / heavy buffers when running mixed suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    Second post in this thread (Clint, Black River Tactical) mentions going with a 30 cal silencer over a dedicated 5.56 decreases the blow back pressures. Trying to think ahead.

Do most people running a suppressor on a mid length 16" require reduction in gas drive? Going off of what Clint said, seems easy enough to fix but goes against the idea of having a modular can unless the function window is wide.

I also was reading about using a heavier buffer spring. Pros and cons for changing the buffer spring vs a modified gas port tube?
    Quote Originally Posted by Troutrunner View Post
    Reliability is my number on concern. Sounds like I can get it suppressed and see how comfortable I am. Fix and check reliability as needed.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Suppressor will always increase the Gas Drive.

How much depends on the suppressor, ammo and gas system configuration.

Whether the increase is "too much" also depends on where you start.

The Noveskes are notorious for being very strongly gasssed, call it right up to the maximum of what could be considered good function.

Adding a suppressor will clearly put it outside of good function.

On the other hand, if the unsuppressed Gas Drive is at the middle or low end, the increase from the suppressor may put it up to the max, but not way over.

We like to keep standard springs and swap between light / heavy buffers when running mixed suppressed.
    Got it, thank you very much sir.

I sent out a few emails, Dead Air responded immediately, they state that their 1/2-28 muzzle break is bored to .30 so it could be the host for my rifle no problem. They also recommended the Sandman-S for my general purpose. Good info, I thought I would pass on.

Feedback Score
    After having the opportunity to attend a Silncerco event. I would not recommend getting a “K” type or mini suppressor. I was able to stand between two 16’ rifles, one with a Saker K and the other with the standard Saker. The “K” was significantly louder and in my opinion more of a glorified flash hider.

I would also not buy a 3 prong flash hider. They have a tuning fork type resosnation and the ping ever time a shot is fired starts to irritate me.

Suppressors are a gateway drug.
    Last edited by fedupflyer; 02-06-20 at 21:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    After having the opportunity to attend a Silncerco event. I would not recommend getting a “K” type or mini suppressor. I was able to stand between two 16’ rifles, one with a Saker K and the other with the standard Saker. The “K” was significantly louder and in my opinion more of a glorified flash hider.

I would also not buy a 3 prong flash hider. They have a tuning fork type resosnation and the ping ever time a shot is fired starts to irritate me.

Suppressors are a gateway drug.
    Good info

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Flash hiders with uneven length tines tend to mitigate the tuning fork sound

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of multi caliber cans, and by that I mean one can which will get used on multiple calibers. This might mean getting cans which are less than "perfect", but commonality is your friend IMHO.

I should point out that the only weapon I shoot suppressed on a regular basis is one of my MP5s. I don't bother with many of my others, at least not on a regular basis.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'm a big fan of multi caliber cans, and by that I mean one can which will get used on multiple calibers. This might mean getting cans which are less than "perfect", but commonality is your friend IMHO.

I should point out that the only weapon I shoot suppressed on a regular basis is one of my MP5s. I don't bother with many of my others, at least not on a regular basis.
    I think I'm in the camp of multi-use. I know people get one for every gun but I already know that isn't me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast