Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT SPM16 or Colt LE6920?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Ya, I think that's the issue I'm mis-remembering.

Those were the good old days.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I say get a Colt if you don't have to pay a ridiculous price.

LMTs can be had for $875 or less right now.

But, Colt has provenance.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All I know is if I'm going to fly, I want to know what SW Aviator feels is a quality enough plane to get himself onto......
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    SouthwestAviatior,

Here's what I don't get. You've started this same sort of discussion countless times here on M4C, and it's been locked each time. People have made countless posts giving you sound advice, yet you continue to wring your hands and worry and make these threads. In fact, you started this, now locked, thread last year:

Most Reliable AR15 for Self Defense
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...r-Self-Defense

In post 2, the late/great Iraqgunz gives you the following awesome advice:
    You really don't need to start a new thread everytime a new idea comes to light. You are overthinking this shit massively. Get your carbine set up, and spend some money on reputable training first.
    Which of course, you have disregarded. You've started numerous threads over your fear that your 6920, which has never jammed, might one day be unreliable. You've started numerous threads about your worry that Daniel Defense might not be up to your rigorous needs. You've started numerous comparison threads about this/that manufacturer vs. Colt. You've started numerous threads over your fear that carbine gas is unreliable, or your fear that midlength isn't good enough.

So what we here at M4C see, is a member who spends all of his time worrying at his computer, and none of it shooting. Sure, you'll make claims that you shoot 2k rounds a month of whatever, but the proof is in the pudding. You would know what works and what doesn't if you actually shot your gun.

If Iraqgunz were alive, I think he'd probably have enough of your constant threads about the same thing. When I read through your threads, I tend to read the same advice over and over: stop worrying, shoot your gun, read more-post less. Why can't you do any of this? I'd love to see you become a productive and contributing member to this community, but what you are doing isn't it chief.

OP's thread history:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=3557721

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Since he's a Southwest pilot, maybe he could start a thread on "Boeing 737 Max vs Airbus A320."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't ever buy any Colt firearm. They are coated with a preservative before leaving the factory and if every little bit isn't removed, it mixes with Froglube and locks the weapon up tight. I've had this happen to three Colt ARs and two 1911s- one purchased back in the 90s. Although the 1911 had thousands of trouble free rounds through it and cleaned numerous times over the years, tiny traces of the Colt preservative remained. Enough that when Froglube was applied, it turned the Froglube into lubri-can't. Any firearm that won't run reliably on Froglube is junk!

Another problem is Colt's quality control and customer service. One Colt AR came from the factory without the promised vertical foregrip. When I called the factory to complain, the foregrip didn't arrive at my house until three whole days after I called! Before they'd agree to ship the missing part, I had to give them the serial number of the rifle and the name of the gun shop I purchased it from. Why do they need all that information?!?

Then there was the unstaked castlenut. If they can overlook something as obvious as castlenut staking, what else did they miss? I'm telling you- Colt was a trainwreck! I'm glad Freedom Group ceased production, shut the brand down and shipped that old horse to the glue factory!
    Last edited by MistWolf; 02-06-20 at 07:34.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Froglube! Haven't heard of that in awhile!

The OP probably has some sort of reliability anxiety from all the gas port and buffer threads that the autists who think they're fixing things with buffers and springs.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Uh yeah.

You'll likely never shoot it enough to know the difference.

Feedback Score
    There could still be some interesting facts here. LMT and Colt both do things differently to accomplish basically the same goal. There are some noteworthy differences.

The barrel not being parked under the gas block is often looked at like a detriment, it certainly isn't better. I think LMT does that because they have a totally different process of manufacturing and assembly. More than likely it's a negligible difference, and they save money finishing it once assembled. The money saved goes into other areas, like their fantastic barrels for example.

LMT uses straight pins instead of taper pins on the gas block. I don't know why but that's definitely another interesting detail that sets them apart. I'm sure they vet their products. Not to mention LMT manufacturers everything in house, Colt doesn't do that. That's pretty impressive to me.

The full auto non enhanced BCG from LMT (I have one) is purposefully designed to bounce spent cases off the shell deflector. Oftentimes people confuse this for an overgassed rifle.

There really is differences here regardless of OPs question. All the while reliability is top notch with both.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MikhailBarracuda91; 02-06-20 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    I’m trying to decide between getting a new Colt 6920 or an LMT SPM16. Both are at a similar price point. From what I hear the LMT comes with a semi automatic bolt carrier and standard buffer and they don’t parkerize under the FSB. But on the other hand I see many talk about LMT as being a very high quality combat worthy rifle with government contracts. Anyone have any ideas on which is higher quality/would be the most reliable?
    You've got analysis paralysis. None of these minor differences matter in the grand scheme, and you're forgetting the first rule of gun fighting: have a gun. I regret my part in keeping you from making a decision. I was only attempting to have a philosophical discussion on manufacturing quality assurance.

Both are solid choices, buy whatever you can get your hands on cheaper then shoot more and post less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast