Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 93 R

Feedback Score

Beretta 93 R

Bought it at a bankruptcy forced auction back in 1999; as per Swiss law the auction was organized by the local police, as you need a permit for all weapons, and a special permit for full-auto weapons. I have a second magazine and the original box too (though cardboard, not worth showing). Needless to say I was ecstatic to acquire it, and still very happy to have it in my collection.

Actually I can share the story of how this Beretta 93 R came in my possession.

So back in June 1999, a good friend and shooting buddy sends me a fax (yes a TELEFAX) with the copy of a newspaper ad for a forced auction after a private bankruptcy.

I wrote to the bankruptcy office and asked for a detailed list of the guns offered for sale.

When I saw the Beretta 93 R, having already a 92 F from 1986 which I adored (and still have), I knew I should try to buy it.

I asked the LGS what price would be reasonable, in order words where do I stop bidding. He told me that the normal value was abt. 1000.- Swiss francs (abt 670.- $ back then), but that would have been if you could have bought one new from Beretta. However they sold in very limited quantities, mostly to police and/or counter terrorism forces, and only in batches (like 10 guns or so).

So finding one in the private market was extremely rare and a price of upto 3000.- Swiss francs (2000.- $) would be reasonable. I went to the bank and created a dent in my savings account, took 3 grand out.

Despite the listing number, they sold the special objects (full auto) last (the Beretta 12 MG, the 93 R and the 1928 A1 Thompson). It was the main event.

At first Tom Dick and Harry were happily bidding, increments of CHF 100.-. After a while, nearing two grand we were only two left truly interested in this gun (others were saving their pennies for the Tommy gun or spent them on the 12 MG). We kept increasing by 100.-, 2200, 2300, 2400, when the other guy showed he was running out of oxygen: he started bidding by 5.- increments, like 2405.-. So I kept increasing by 100.- to discourage him. At 2605 I decided to slow down, offered 2650.- (US$ 1770.-). He gave up, lot number 37 was mine.

Feedback Score

Beretta 93 R

Recently I saw three being sold locally at abt. 5000.- CHF (about the same in US$ today). Another LGS sold one for 6'000.- a couple of years ago.

A few recent pictures

And I dug out the original box

Last edited by OLIAR15; 02-09-20 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    I have shot the 93R just once.

It was a hoot, so much fun in a small package.

I don't think it or the Glock 18 is very practical for real life.

Unless real life is a day on the range where you seek to put the biggest smiles on peoples faces.

Feedback Score
    Howdy,
    Thanks for sharing. That is a great looking gun. Any video of it in action?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That’s awesome, back in 1999 I was 18, and the 93R was one of those guns I was mildly “obsessed” with at the time. Closest I ever got to one was a cheap-ass airsoft version.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Awesome! Absolutely beautiful piece with a good story behind your acquisition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I don't think it or the Glock 18 is very practical for real life.

Unless real life is a day on the range where you seek to put the biggest smiles on peoples faces.
    You nailed it on the head

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Double post
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Howdy,
    Thanks for sharing. That is a great looking gun. Any video of it in action?
    Howdy,

We once knew a member here that carried it in combat in Iraq and on Mars.

The 93R is one of my favorite unobtanium guns in history. I would love to be able to shoot one someday
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Oh...My....Gosh! This is by far the best of all of your recent posts. This is my #1 Unircorn. I would love to shoot let alone have one of these. You are a very lucky man to have one in your collection. Take care of it, shoot and enjoy the heck out of it!!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast