Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 77 gr bullet for use in SBR and “SPR”

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Why are you choosing SMK for an SBR? SMKs are for precision/DMR stuff not great choice for HD/duty.
    Probably because the terminal ballistics are pretty good, even out of very short barrels and he doesn’t plan on shooting through glass. Additionally the velocity delta between short and long barrels has an inverse relationship with projectile weight. Doorkickers with Mk18’s have been known to reappropriate the snipers’ ammo for these reasons. I won’t say that the 77gr SMK is the best projectile, but its pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I have got a pile of Federal Fusion...I wonder how it compares to the GD at >100 yards.
    Fusion is capable of acceptable accuracy and expands at very low velocity. In my opinion, Fusion MSR is one of the best commercial loads for waxing two-legged vermin at any range a plain M4 and ordinary shooter are suitable for. Its also widely available and inexpensive. I keep 7 mags of it on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    I was literally about to ask some very similar questions here.
    What Im wondering, out of a 20" 1/8 WYLDE...what are, say the top three 77gr. loads for long range, out to no more than 700 yards?
    Also- whats the opinion on 69gr, again, top three loads? Is 69gr a viable option out to 700? If not, how far?
    I can’t talk about 700yds, but 68/69 gr works well for me out to 500m, which is usually the furthest I shoot. I’m just shooting man size steel and E-Type pop-ups. I like the 68/69 projectiles, because the velocity with 5.56 is close to 70gr TSX 5.56 and .223 62gr Fusion MSR. This keeps POI close enough at the shorter ranges I use those two at. I use the Hornady Frontier5.56 68gr, and I’ve also had good results with Black Hills 69gr SMK 5.56. FGMM .223 69gr SMK groups well out of every rifle I’ve tried it in, but its slower than I prefer. I really want to try the Black Hills 69gr TMK.

I would not choose 69gr SMK or TMK for terminal effects, because it is inferior at that.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-09-20 at 09:18.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Probably because the terminal ballistics are pretty good, even out of very short barrels and he doesn’t plan on shooting through glass. Additionally the velocity delta between short and long barrels has an inverse relationship with projectile weight. Doorkickers with Mk18’s have been known to reappropriate the snipers’ ammo for these reasons. I won’t say that the 77gr SMK is the best projectile, but its pretty good.
    Just because 77gr SMK does better than FMJ even out of short barrels doesnt mean its the right choice for SBRs. The cool guys are using TSX now anyway so its not even cool to use "sniper ammo" out your carbine anymore. The OP stated he was using TMK, but it was too expensive. As stated by other people Gold Dot can be had ~.60 cents per round and is surprising accurate for a soft point, costs about the same as SMKs but much better suited for SBR use.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 02-09-20 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Just because 77gr SMK does better than FMJ even out of short barrels doesnt mean its the right choice for SBRs. The cool guys are using TSX now anyway so its not even cool to use "sniper ammo" out your carbine anymore. The OP stated he was using TMK, but it was too expensive. As stated by other people Gold Dot can be had ~.60 cents per round and is surprising accurate for a soft point, costs about the same as SMKs but much better suited for SBR use.
    You’re not wrong.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Appreciate the responses all.

I actually have one 20 rd and two 30 rd mags loaded with Speer GD for home defense duty. That was one of my first purchases after exploring on here when I finished my then-only AR pistol->SBR. Coincidentally, I just re-zero’d for the IMI 77gr last week.

My thought was to have my carbines and uppers generally zero’d with the same ammo. Easier (for me) to keep an eye out for deals on one type than tracking a mix of Hornady SBR, BH Mk262/TMK, Speer GD, Fusion MSR (and whatever that clone was...).
    It seems like the 77 gr clones are solid choices at distance, but also generally good if not barrier blind at SBR velocities.
    For comparison, excepting super sales or rebates, the price between the GD and IMI options are nearly identical, .65-.68 or .66-.67 for the three lowest prices on AmmoSeek. So if those two were the best options, the price difference is negligible without a sale. And both are substantially less than either Fusion or Mk262 (though G&R has a righteous sale at the moment), for instance.
    I understand there is compromise, hence the thread. Genuinely looking to see if there is a better general use round than the IMI Razor Core 77gr. It seems like up to 100yds, the GD may be an equal option?
    Last edited by JediGuy; 02-09-20 at 20:42.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Just because 77gr SMK does better than FMJ even out of short barrels doesnt mean its the right choice for SBRs.
    I cried on the inside because of this sentence.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    For 69gr, that Austrailian ammo (I forget the name) Outback?... is really good stuff. Any 77 is going to be good. You really have to work hard to mess that up.

At 750 we can see the performance drop from 77 down to the 62 gr HPBT. But 69 gr should get there pretty good.
    I cried on the inside because of this sentence.
    THANKS for this info- Ive wondered about that Aussie stuf awhile now.
    Is that sentence right or wrong in your opinion?
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Is that sentence right or wrong in your opinion?
    Both. 77 OTM is an outstanding universal round for sbr cqb, and long range accuracy. However, there's good bonded options out there too. If I were a cop, I'd favor bonded for auto glass penetration.

For home defense, I love the OTM.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Both. 77 OTM is an outstanding universal round for sbr cqb, and long range accuracy. However, there's good bonded options out there too. If I were a cop, I'd favor bonded for auto glass penetration.

Your knowledge is appreciated greatly sir!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

To roll with this a bit... How is penetration through drywall with the 77gr SMK or TMK?
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    To roll with this a bit... How is penetration through drywall with the 77gr SMK or TMK?
    An SMK will mostly stay intact, yaw and veer off target widely and unpredictably through several interior walls if not completely exiting the structure altogether.

The TMK will probably lose its most of its nose via fragmentation through the first wall and flatten out then will barely make through a second wall.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast