Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Enfield No4 Mk 1 Scout Rifle build

Feedback Score

Lee Enfield No4 Mk 1 Scout Rifle build

I have always thought the Scout Rifle concept was an interesting, and versatile one. Some rifles that have always caught my eye are the "tanker" Garands, and the M1A Scout Squad. They just have a real cool look that I thought was handy, and could lend them to the scout rifle concept. I wanted to stay with a bolt gun though, and the Lee Enfield has always fascinated me by the cock on close design, and 10 round magazine. I decided to make a "tanker" Lee Enfield version of a Scout Rifle.

I like the design, and the look of the No4 Mk 1 more than any other, so that had to be the one. Also, I wanted it to look very close to a normal issue rifle when I got done, just with the enhancements to suit me that I wanted. That meant I was going to need a complete rifle to start with. I couldn't just grab up any old bubbaed up sporter. I needed all the top wood, everything. Well, I found one. I found one so nice I started second guessing if I wanted to do this, but I'm not a collector. Never have been, never will be. I care zero about dollar value, only my enjoyment of what I buy. I got the gun, and I started in. BTW, the receiver had previously been drilled and tapped for a scope mount, but the mount was not on it, and one screw was broke off in a hole...

I took it apart, and off to the gunsmith she went. A week later, and the 25" barrel is now 18" with an 11 degree target crown. The original front sight has been moved back with about 1.75" or barrel poking out in front of it just as in the original. However, it doesn't have the little tabs for mounting a bayonet anymore... They don't make the Clifton mounts for the Lee Enfield anymore, so he took some bar stock and turned me down a custom mount to fit the barrel. It's pressed on, then two set screws hold it in place as he dimpled the barrel. On top of that is a section of picatinny rail I gave him to work with.

The rear sight will be in the way of the scope as it will sit pretty low, so I had him remove the long range (600M) peep. I can't see very far to shoot with irons anyhow. I'll leave the 300M peep pointed back, (flat) to use the scope, then flip it up should I have to remove the scope and use the iron sights. As it sits now, I'm starting in on the wood work modifying the stock to shorten it so that it maintains the classic looks, but in a shorter package. The top wood has the front piece shortened, the rear piece a hole cut for the mount to stick up through. The fore end has been shortened and reshaped (roughly) to fit the black metal end cap. I'm replacing the butt stock with one from Boyd's as I want more of a pistol grip style, but I'm going to attempt to affix the brass butt plate, and original sling swivel to it. Then everything will be refinished to match. There's still a lot of wood work to do to get the shape the way I want it, but the idea is there... My first try at reshaping a stock too, so I'm trying not to screw it up, and have to go shopping for another stock... Scope is the 2.5 Leupold, and a set of low QD Leupold rings, and a pair of scope caps are on the way. Then I'll have to find a sling.

You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I really like the look of what you have going on here. I can’t wait to see what the finished product looks like and shoots like.

PS...waiting on updates for the Jeep project
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Problems with getting axles apart right now, and still recovering from my shoulder surgery.

Guns are easier to work on in the basement in cold weather too...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Looking really good there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So you stayed with 303? Why not the Ishaphore 308?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I hope it works for you, but as a collector and someone interested in the history of these rifles, that's painful.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    So you stayed with 303? Why not the Ishaphore 308?
    Always liked the uniqueness of the .303. Family comes from Canada. In fact, I was the first in my family to be born in America. This gun is a Longbranch... Canadian built. I also like the look of the No4 Mk 1 the best. The boxyness of the .308 magazines spoil the lines of the gun, the wood is different, the front sight is different, the rear sight is on the barrel...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    Always liked the uniqueness of the .303. Family comes from Canada. In fact, I was the first in my family to be born in America. This gun is a Longbranch... Canadian built. I also like the look of the No4 Mk 1 the best. The boxyness of the .308 magazines spoil the lines of the gun, the wood is different, the front sight is different, the rear sight is on the barrel...
    Gotcha. I've had a few No4 and even a true No5. Sold them all and kept a 1918 SMLE mkIII. Something about that blunt nose, rear sight ears and the handy 15lbs!!!!

At one point, when Soviet 7.62x54 was dirt cheap I had the thought to see if a Enfield could be converted to x54 since the both calibers are so close
    Last edited by Arik; 02-07-20 at 06:46.

Feedback Score
    Hope it shoots well, last one I had didn't was cut so the fore stock didn't have the pressure wedge for the barrel and it strung shoots, if you scope mount doesn't work you mite try AS sights, the same guys who make the big dots', they had a slick scout mount for a few of the military rifles
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    That is interesting. I like the looks. I have a bunch of various Lee Enfields -- mostly No 4 variants that I got in the late 90s -- all arsenal after the war refurbs that were released, but an all matching Australian No 1 mk III and a real No 5 as well I got from a collector who was downsizing. The 303 shoots well from my rifles. Hopefully yours shoots well.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast