Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lee Enfield No4 Mk 1 Scout Rifle build

Feedback Score
    Did the sanding, and two coats of stain today, but not sure I'm gonna come out with a perfect match. The 80+ year old Canadian front wood, and the bran new Boyd's butt stock isn't made of the same stuff... Probably close enough for me normally, but I really wanted this to be nice, so I may look for someone who does refinishing of furniture look at it. My woodworking skills are make stuff strong, not pretty.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    The finished product. Took it to a local lady who does stain work, and antique restoration. She did good.

Then I found an old cowboy ammo cuff that the .303 rounds fit...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Range day. Only had one brand of ammo to test, PPU 180 gr SPBT. I used some old M16 25 m zero targets. Not a stellar performance, but not too bad. Kinda unsure if I should tinker with the fit of the stock as it hits the barrel. I wasn't shooting very well today. Somehow, I managed to get the same size groups at 50 yds, and at 100... Just under 3". I need to try some different ammo first.

This group is 2.75" from the outside of the holes...

Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 03-05-20 at 23:42.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    I suspect you are getting more recoil as well????? The No 5 Jungle carbines are a pain to shoot due to this. How much flash signature are you getting? Can you take a night picture of it for us?

Feedback Score
    I don't notice any more recoil. Then again, I'm a big dude, 6' 1" 280.

No ranges around here open at night, and I doubt I could time it right anyhow. Besides, it's not primarily a "tactical" weapon, and I won't be engaging any bad guys with the low powered 2.5 power scout scope in low light (unless something goes really wrong) so it doesn't matter... I may try it out at a later date with a red dot though... I didn't noticed any huge fireballs, and it was a cloudy day when I took it out. I'm sure there is the potential for a bigger flash than with the 25" barrel, but I'm also shooting modern ammo with different powder, so who knows...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Nice day for an outside photo shoot today...

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nice! Though I'm kindof of visually missing the Jungle Carbine muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    Amen on the No 5 being a real kicker. I have had two of them and they were no pleasant to shoot at all.

I assume you are going to reload for it. If you want a longer case life don't full length size the cases, just size it down to where the shoulder is only moved back about .002" and it will chamber just fine.

You might also try some 308 bullets in it. I have seen 303s shoot them very well.

Forgot in case your FL die doesn't grip the bullet like you want RCBS makes and 303 die marked 30 cal or you could go to the old standby and get a 308 Win neck size die and just size the neck area with it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy70 View Post
    Amen on the No 5 being a real kicker. I have had two of them and they were no pleasant to shoot at all.

I assume you are going to reload for it. If you want a longer case life don't full length size the cases, just size it down to where the shoulder is only moved back about .002" and it will chamber just fine.

You might also try some 308 bullets in it. I have seen 303s shoot them very well.

Forgot in case your FL die doesn't grip the bullet like you want RCBS makes and 303 die marked 30 cal or you could go to the old standby and get a 308 Win neck size die and just size the neck area with it.
    Yo no habla reload.

I have trouble focusing on things close up, and gripping small things. I'd be dropping bullets, and primers all over the place, wouldn't be able to see if I had the press set up right...
    Last edited by daddyusmaximus; 05-05-20 at 08:18.

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
    The finished product. Took it to a local lady who does stain work, and antique restoration. She did good.

Then I found an old cowboy ammo cuff that the .303 rounds fit...

Nice build. I like the cowboy ammo cuff. Job well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast