Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Night Sights With RMR Or No?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I agree, that indeed has more to do with reholstering and safe practices.

Having a holster that doesn't leave any chance of external material making its way inside of a trigger guard is one of those safe practices.
    So you carry a WW2 Tanker holster then?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Only when I ride my T-34. For all other occasions CCC or JMCK offerings molded without any gaps or holes between holster and trigger guard keep me at a state of relative calmness. But only relative, for you never know when an inquisitive and deep question is going to come my way on the m4c.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STAMarine View Post
    I'm getting ready to send my G45 to AETI to get a RMR06 mounted. I'm going to get the Ameriglo suppressor height sights installed. What sights are you all getting? Night sight or not? Would the glow of the night sights be distracting in darkness or are they a help?
    I personally treat backup sights as just that, backups. If you use a reliable optic and take care of it, you should never need your secondary sighting system. I personally never want to compromise my primary sight picture or over clutter it for backup purposes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloneKook View Post
    I personally treat backup sights as just that, backups. If you use a reliable optic and take care of it, you should never need your secondary sighting system. I personally never want to compromise my primary sight picture or over clutter it for backup purposes.
    A number of people have expressed this sentiment in this thread, but I am puzzled by it. The only time I am seeing the BUIS is if I can’t find the dot — either because the dot failed or something about my index has failed. (Moving quickly, it can be bard to know whether the problem was a dot failure or a “you” failure, and with some dot failures the dot can go on and off making it harder to know what exactly is happening.) Otherwise I don’t see BUIS, regardless of whether they are black, tritium or colored. If you are routinely seeing BUIS, I would tactfully suggest you are not shooting the dot correctly. While I don’t see the BUIS in routine shooting, if the dot isn’t there, I want easily visible BUIS, especially with the small, tinted RMR display that makes BUIS harder to see.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A number of people have expressed this sentiment in this thread, but I am puzzled by it. The only time I am seeing the BUIS is if I can’t find the dot — either because the dot failed or something about my index has failed. (Moving quickly, it can be bard to know whether the problem was a dot failure or a “you” failure, and with some dot failures the dot can go on and off making it harder to know what exactly is happening.) Otherwise I don’t see BUIS, regardless of whether they are black, tritium or colored. If you are routinely seeing BUIS, I would tactfully suggest you are not shooting the dot correctly. While I don’t see the BUIS in routine shooting, if the dot isn’t there, I want easily visible BUIS, especially with the small, tinted RMR display that makes BUIS harder to see.
    This discussion has less to do with RDS and more with the usefulness of tritium sights.

In reality, it does not matter and is entirely a preference.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CloneKook View Post
    I've had optic sights break, I've had them rendered useless by rain and mud, and I've had dot wash out or get fractionated by the incoming sun, regardless how well I took care of my optics. Correctly set up backup irons, black or tritium, do not clutter the field.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I cannot stand the clutter of a fixed rear sight and fixed front sight with a true co-witness red dot on an AR-15.

I have never been bothered by the iron sights on a pistol with RDS, including pistols with red dots sunk down as deep as possible and with, AFAIK, the highest available suppressor-height sights.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I cannot stand the clutter of a fixed rear sight and fixed front sight with a true co-witness red dot on an AR-15.

I have never been bothered by the iron sights on a pistol with RDS, including pistols with red dots sunk down as deep as possible and with, AFAIK, the highest available suppressor-height sights.

I can say that I honestly don't even notice the FSB on my Colt while using my red dot. 1/3 lower cowitness mounted Aimpoint T2 and I just don't notice it while concentrating on shooting.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schootz View Post
    I can say that I honestly don't even notice the FSB on my Colt while using my red dot. 1/3 lower cowitness mounted Aimpoint T2 and I just don't notice it while concentrating on shooting.
    I meant absolute cowitness in my post.

I’m not bothered by iron sights regardless of position when I run an RDS in a lower one-third cowitness.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I meant absolute cowitness in my post.
    Absolute? Yes, I see your point. I find lower 1/3 co-witness is the bees-knees.

Is it just me, or has this thread kind of drifted into the Twilight zone? I don't know, I'm new here, but ... it's been interesting.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910