Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Night Sights With RMR Or No?

Feedback Score
    I have heard that its hard, especially at first, to find the dot. So back and front night sights help, but won't make the sight picture too busy?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Trying acquiring the dot quickly in the dark, from a compromised position like support hand, and you will quickly recognize the benefit of front and rear tritium BUIS. The tritium sights work like runway end identification lights leading an aircraft to the runway at night.
    Bingo. A fighting gun with RDS must have NS.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My preference is the black suppressor sights. I'm not arguing that the night sights couldn't help but I have yet to have a time where I wish I would have had them, even with compromised shooting positions.

When not in a compromised shooting position I find the sight picture too busy for my tastes. Being threat focused I don't really see the black sights but the night sights (especially the ones with the white rings around the tritium vials) try to draw my eyes back to the irons.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like the Ameriglo BUIS with the orange front and black two dot tritium rear, with no white rings on the rear tritium.

A67BC091-A270-4C59-BC92-C0F79D7993BD.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Trying acquiring the dot quickly in the dark, from a compromised position like support hand, and you will quickly recognize the benefit of front and rear tritium BUIS. The tritium sights work like runway end identification lights leading an aircraft to the runway at night.

If it's too dark to see your sights it's too dark to PID your target. Turn on a light handheld or WML and you have plenty of light to see all black sights.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LowSpeed_HighDrag View Post
    Bingo. A fighting gun with RDS must have NS.

BS, I've been running them since 2010 without and haven't had a night sight on a gun since 2002. I just taught a night course of fire night before last and not a single set of night sights in the group. If you can't see your sights without tritium tell me how you're PIDing your target. There is about a 45 minute period at dawn and dusk where night sights are applicable and I would still use a light.
    That said, if someone wants them then by all means go for it, but to say they are a requirement is foolish.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I installed a set of Ameriglo GL 810 on my MOS Glock 19. These have a plain black rear and a tritium front. No outline or bright paint on the front sight. Just the tritium vial. I like them a lot. it's easy to pick up the front sight if I'm not using a white light. It does not overpower the red dot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Three dot tritium BUIS are a help for me, although I would not begin to suggest they are mandatory for others. I also like tritium sights on my non RDS defensive pistols. I took this picture this morning in an enclosed closet with the light off, same pistol and BUIS as above.

A369D247-E1EA-4F89-A85E-2180243A1CAD.jpg

Feedback Score
    With a three dot night sight system, there is the risk that in a high stress situation you will get the three dots misaligned and think you are looking at the front post, but instead, you are not looking at the correct "dot." My suggestion is you go with a tritium front sight and black rear. If your RDS fails at night, and you have no light on your handgun, you will only be needing that front post. At the vast majority of SD ranges, it won't matter. You won't have time to get that perfect sight picture anyway. You must be able to get effective shots off regardless and the more you screw around getting everything in the sight picture "just so" you will risk your life. My .02. FWIW.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    BS, I've been running them since 2010 without and haven't had a night sight on a gun since 2002. I just taught a night course of fire night before last and not a single set of night sights in the group. If you can't see your sights without tritium tell me how you're PIDing your target. There is about a 45 minute period at dawn and dusk where night sights are applicable and I would still use a light.
    That said, if someone wants them then by all means go for it, but to say they are a requirement is foolish.
    Its not just about being able to see the sights, its being able to get a peripheral sight picture quickly while holding a target focus. There are plenty of lighting conditions that make tritium sights faster IME (bright front dots like trijicon HDs help as well, but all the ones I know of also have tritium).

Everyone processes things differently, but I would suggest on a dark overcast day, or during light change, you test it on a timer.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast